Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:18 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Euro 2016, football (men)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Seems like Trump is infecting even the language!

Anyway, the Euro 2016 is off-cycle to the World Cup perhaps? Sporting world needs high level tournaments.
Nah I meant the tournament format is too big. 24 teams? Pfft. By way of comparison, Copa America (also going on now) is a 16 team tournament.

Ah well. For the record, Bernie Sanders also says yuge, as he's from new york as well.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 05:28 PM
Globetrotter

The biggest surprise of the competition so far happened today, when Iceland managed to hold Portugal to a 1-1 draw.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 07:43 PM
Globetrotter

French police have stopped 50 Russian fans they suspect of engaging in hooligan violence from heading to Lille for next game, fearing they will attack English and Welsh fans there

Those Russians will probably be deported. There were also other raids by the French to catch suspected "Ultras" from Russia: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...sian-ultras-f/

It didn't seem to help, however:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...gland-violence
http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0614/79544...2016-violence/

Russia is on suspended disqualification right now, meaning DQ for any further fan violence: http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sport...6/14/85867526/

But that's only INSIDE the stadium... On the streets, that's a whole other game.

6 British have received criminal convictions for their part in the rioting: http://m.todayonline.com/sports/foot...l-fans-rioting

Andrew Bache, a English fan in his 50s

who was assaulted by a group of Russians and beaten on the head with an iron bar remains in a coma: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7081086.html

Horrific new accounts and video of the attack on Bache: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ngland-8187589

I saw reports today his condition may have worsened, he may now be "brain dead"...
Old Jun 14th 2016, 08:29 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Good thing they aren't Muslims...
Old Jun 15th 2016, 04:56 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Good thing they aren't Muslims...
Well, they lost to Slovakia today. That is a punishment in itself
Old Jun 20th 2016, 05:09 PM
Globetrotter

France, Switzerland, Wales and England, and maybe Albania and Slovakia depending on how the other 3rd placed teams fare, have qualified from the two groups in which all the matches have been played. Wales surprised everyone by winning the group, which included their local rivals England. I'm disappointed that England didn't win the group, but at least they've got through.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 01:07 PM
Globetrotter

Poland and Wales are both doing very well, Poland are having their best competition in 30 years, Wales are having their best competition in 40 years (people talk about their best competition since 1958, but forget about their 1976 European Championship, when they reached the quarter-final). Poland will play in the quarter-final against Portugal, while Wales will also play a quarter-final, against the winner of tonight's match between Hungary and Belgium. France are in the quarter-final, and will play against the winner of tomorrow night's match between England and Iceland. The other quarter-final will be between the winners of Germany v Slovakia (in process, with Germany leading 2-0) and Spain v Italy.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Jun 26th 2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 05:01 PM
Globetrotter

I actually watched a game.
People kept telling me that 'my' Iceland was doing good and I had nothing else on so I watched England-Iceland. I even enjoyed it, not because of the game -which remains dead boring- but because of the result especially in the present circumstances.

Brexit II

Iceland
Old Jun 28th 2016, 12:54 AM
Globetrotter

Iceland v England 2-1. Iceland go into the quarter-final, and England are out of the competition. Iceland's population is somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000 and this result is a major historical sensation.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:07 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Fantastic.