Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:58 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: American nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
You are just jealous, Nick. I get it: we have Maria Kirilenko up there, and you guys, in Europe, have Conchita Wurst
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:07 PM
Globetrotter

Shamil says the West does not understand Russian humor: http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-...eant-as-jokes/

Russian Minister of Sports Mutko says there will be an appeal: http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/new...mil-tarpischev
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:19 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Shamil says the West does not understand Russian humor: http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-...eant-as-jokes/

Russian Minister of Sports Mutko says there will be an appeal: http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/new...mil-tarpischev
YouYourselfAndYou, do you find it funny to say "Williams brothers"? I'm not asking whether you find it offensive, I'm asking only about your assessment of the comedy value of the comment. Since you're Russian and he calls it "Russian humour" I think that's a relevant question.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:22 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
YouYourselfAndYou, do you find it funny to say "Williams brothers"? I'm not asking whether you find it offensive, I'm asking only about your assessment of the comedy value of the comment. Since you're Russian and he calls it "Russian humour" I think that's a relevant question.
I think he is entitled to his views I do not like how Serena Williams looks either, for what it may be worth to you.

Maybe, if he had known that foreigners with greater sensibilities would be watching the show, apparently (I still do not understand how the content of a Russian talk show made headlines all the way in the US...), maybe should have spoke a bit differently.

Either way though. Russia is behind him. Mutko said as much. So am I. In our country, on our television, our officials and people can say what they want. This is not Europe or America, sorry.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:25 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I think he is entitled to his views I do not like how Serena Williams looks either, for what it may be worth to you.

Maybe, if he had known that foreigners with greater sensibilities would be watching the show, apparently (I still do not understand how the content of a Russian talk show made headlines all the way in the US...), maybe should have spoke a bit differently.

Either way though. Russia is behind him. Mutko said as much. So am I. In our country, on our television, our officials and people can say what they want. This is not Europe or America, sorry.
I can only conclude that you are answering some other post, and have put it as an answer to my question by mistake.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:26 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I can only conclude that you are answering some other post, and have put it as an answer to my question by mistake.
Yes, I think what he said was funny. Okay?
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:27 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Yes, I think what he said was funny. Okay?
Thank you. Always read posts carefully.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:28 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Look at our athletes, elegant and beautiful. I have tremendous respect for them [Williams sisters], but once one of the sisters passed next to me, and I found myself in her shadow for about forty seconds. They are so physically powerful. Weren't you afraid to play against them?
That is what he said. Elena Dementieva was there, she thought it was alright, which angered American feminists even more

Quote:
Bleacher Report's Merlisa Lawrence Corbett was shocked by the WTA's initial lack of reaction, and she rightfully pointed out Tarpischev was doing what so many have done before him: Attack the Williams sisters over their looks while ignoring their on-court achievements. She was even more disappointed with Dementieva:

Yet Dementieva sat there, in the middle of two men who reduced her profession to a beauty contest. Her silence gave the men permission to yuck it up at the expense of women's tennis and the Williams sisters.

What they were essentially saying is that being perceived as "better looking" trumps on-court achievement. How could Dementieva, an athlete, let that slide?

She's like the clueless businesswoman who grins while male coworkers denigrate female colleagues based on their looks.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...lliams-sisters

Yes, any woman who likes being complimented must be clueless Dumb American feminist, as I said. Thank God we do not have that issue here.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:36 PM
Globetrotter

For reasons independent of what Tarpischev said I would never defend Serena Williams but Venus Williams at least is a gorgeous woman:

You can take action shots of pretty much any WTA woman which will show them as wrestler look-alikes. Tennis has become very much a power sport and everyone has adjusted to that or has had to leave the field.

As for lil'Masha, aka Kirilenko, being as good as the Williams' sisters: Serena has (in singles alone) 18 slams, Venus 7, Masha 0. Serena has 63 titles, Venus 45 and Maria a whole 6. Quite a different ballpark. But, yes, she's very pretty.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:38 PM
Globetrotter

Is Safina a 'brother' too?