Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Aug 7th 2016, 03:05 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: American nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
And which country did everything it could to buy top sports people from other countries for their Sochi Olympic team? Putin's Russia - the one government that believes a country can buy honour.
"Viktor Ahn (Russian: Виктор Ан; born November 23, 1985), also known as Ahn Hyun-soo (Korean: 안현수) and Victor An, is a Korean-born Russian short track speed skating athlete. After competing for South Korea since childhood, in 2011 he became a Russian citizen and now races for the Russian team. One of the most accomplished short track speed skaters of all time, Ahn won three gold medals and a bronze medal in 2006 Winter Olympics held in Turin, Italy, becoming the most successful athlete there. He has also won three gold medals and one bronze medal in the 2014 Winter Olympics held in Sochi, Russia. He is also a six-time Overall World Champion for 2003–2007 and 2014.[2]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Ahn
Why does Putin's regime seem to prefer to see the word Russia high up on the medals table, even when everyone can see that it's done in a totally unimpressive way?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Why does Putin's regime seem to prefer to see the word Russia high up on the medals table, even when everyone can see that it's done in a totally unimpressive way?
You do realize that about half the countries in the world offer huge rewards to their own citizens who win medals (like $1m).

Everyone wants their country to win medals at the Olympics. Canada spent an extra $100 million dollars for the Vancouver Olympics just to boost Canadian athletes to win more medals. Everyone plays that game.

And everyone cheats with performance enhancing drugs. Some get caught, most don't.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:26 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You do realize that about half the countries in the world offer huge rewards to their own citizens who win medals (like $1m).

Everyone wants their country to win medals at the Olympics. Canada spent an extra $100 million dollars for the Vancouver Olympics just to boost Canadian athletes to win more medals. Everyone plays that game.

And everyone cheats with performance enhancing drugs. Some get caught, most don't.
I wasn't talking about rewarding athletes who do well. I was talking about buying athletes from other countries who are already world superstars. I'm curious as to how Putin's regime, or anyone can else, can take any pride in that.
Quote:
I realise you agree with me. I can assure you that Norway doesn't buy success, so you should perhaps acknowledge that Russia should follow Norway's example. Norway came 2nd in the Sochi medal table, and all their medal winners had grown up in Norway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I agree, that is one thing Russia should learn from Norway The only one, however.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Aug 10th 2016 at 12:30 AM.