Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Aug 7th 2016, 12:41 AM
Globetrotter

Default Rio, Russia's first Gold

Judo, predictably.

Quote:
Russia gained their first gold medal of Rio 2016 after the 30-year-old judoka Beslan Mudranov triumphed in the men’s -60kg division final.

The International Judo Federation, of which Vladimir Putin is honorary president, allowed all Russian athletes to compete at Rio 2016 and Mudranov secured gold on the first day of Olympic competition.

Wins against Jeroen Mooren, Hovhannes Davtyan, Kim Won-jin and Amiran Papinashvili on Saturday set up a final against Kazakhstan’s world champion Yeldos Smetov, who had ended Briton Ashley McKenzie’s hopes in the second round.

Mudranov came out on top against Smetov, winning by Waza-ari with Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi after 44sec at the Carioca Arena. Naohisa Takato of Japan and Diyorbek Urozboev of Uzbekistan claimed bronze.
https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...-olympics-2016

Beslan was born and raised in Baksan, Kabardino-Balkaria, but moved to Armavir, in nearby Krasnodar region, in 2006, and lived and trained there ever since.

He has become a Master of Sport and a highly decorated champion

including European Championships Silver in 2012 and Gold in 2014 and Gold at European Games in Baku last year

He has trained with the very best of the best

hehehe

Wife Diana, daughters Samira, 4 and Esmina, 1, and his parents Zaudin and mother Asia

His younger brother Aslan Mudranov is himself a successful Sambo wrestler, champion of Russia and Europe

Both their father and grandfather

wrestled, freestyle, when were young, it is a popular sport in Caucasus. Neither ever reached serious professional level though. Zaudin eventually started working as a long distance truck driver, which he apparently still continues to do to this day. Though, I think, with the reward money his boy will likely receive when returns from Brazil with his Gold Medal, the old man will likely finally retire

Earlier, LifeNews visited Beslan's family who have all assembled in their old home in Baksan to celebrate his victory, along with most of the town's population lol The entire street was closed off to give space to all the people who came to offer their congratulations... Kabardino-Balkaria, like other Caucasian regions, is very proud of their sport heroes; the Republic's sports minister also personally came to Baksan to express his well-wishes; the Federal Minister Vitaly Mutko gave his congrats on Twitter, as had the Governor of Krasnodar.

Little Samira read an adorable poem she had written about her father

Quote:
My Papa is a champion,
He is the strongest in the world!
The only one in a million,
Nobody else is like him.
Cute, no?

Enjoy it, Beslan, you have earned it. I hope our Judokas and wrestlers bring us many more medals.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 02:43 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Rio, Russia's first Gold

In other news from Rio, our Women's Volleyball Team beat Argentina 3 - 0: http://sputniknews.com/sport/2016080...-olympics.html

While Women Hanballers overcame South Korea 30 - 25: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/reca...ndball-day-one

Old Aug 7th 2016, 03:14 AM
Globetrotter

YouYourselfAndYou, do you still regard the Olympic Games as nonsense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I think our government should boycott the upcoming Olympics in Brazil altogether. It is all a political spectacle to humiliate our athletes.

All our track and field team banned now: http://rbth.com/news/2016/07/10/iaaf...thletes_610235

Oh, yes, with one exception, Darya Klishina: http://www.iaaf.org/news/press-relea...dent-neutral-r

Who is not even "Russian", really, she lives and trains in America Of course she would agree to go as "neutral", Russian flag means nothing to her.

No Russians would cheer for her anyway. Let Americans cheer for her. America is her country now. I wish Foreign Ministry would cancel her passport, and same for all others like her.

And, yes, boycott these Olympics. If they even happen, between the Zika Virus and all of Brazil's economic and crime and other issues. I read there are plenty of athletes from different countries already pulling out by own choice.

Good luck with those Games Why should we even participate in this nonsense
http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...ead.php?t=5843
Old Aug 7th 2016, 03:25 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
YouYourselfAndYou, do you still regard the Olympic Games as nonsense?
http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...ead.php?t=5843
I do. But I also respect our sportsmen and women over there, who are fighting and winning despite all the Western crap, all the indeed nonsense about Meldonium or whatever, which has been used to sideline some of our best competitors. This is not just sport anymore, but ideological warfare, much like decades before, in the Cold War...
Old Aug 7th 2016, 03:29 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I do. But I also respect our sportsmen and women over there, who are fighting and winning despite all the Western crap, all the indeed nonsense about Meldonium or whatever, which has been used to sideline some of our best competitors. This is not just sport anymore, but ideological warfare, much like decades before, in the Cold War...
When you say "nonsense about Meldonium" are you refuting guilt on the part of those athletes found guilty?
Old Aug 7th 2016, 03:39 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
When you say "nonsense about Meldonium" are you refuting guilt on the part of those athletes found guilty?
A. Is it a "coincidence" WADA starts going on about some heart medicine used basically only in former USSR, calling it a "performance enhancer"?

B. Sure, our people may use stuff. So does everyone else who can afford it. You think Americans do not? Look at the Williams sisters, no normal women have biceps like that, that comes from drugs, sorry. American athletes have even been caught too, like Lance Armstrong. Yet we have the "doping culture"? Western hypocricy

C. I do not trust any Western organization, like the WADA committee, headed by some Canadian, to rule objectively about Russians.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 04:58 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
A. Is it a "coincidence" WADA starts going on about some heart medicine used basically only in former USSR, calling it a "performance enhancer"?

B. Sure, our people may use stuff. So does everyone else who can afford it. You think Americans do not? Look at the Williams sisters, no normal women have biceps like that, that comes from drugs, sorry. American athletes have even been caught too, like Lance Armstrong. Yet we have the "doping culture"? Western hypocricy

C. I do not trust any Western organization, like the WADA committee, headed by some Canadian, to rule objectively about Russians.
Thank you for answering the question.