Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Jun 27th 2011, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Peak Oil: A Chance to Change the World

Quote:
Peak Oil: A Chance to Change the World

For advice about life after graduation, students at Worcester Polytechnic wanted to hear from peak oil scholar Richard Heinberg instead of Exxon’s CEO. Here’s what he told them.

<see link for transcript of speech from Richard Heinberg>
Source

An excellent speech - and a sign of the times with students preferring to hear from Heinberg rather than Exxon CEO for a commencement speech.

And the times are indeed changing - I remember reading, many years ago, about how gay marriage was due to pass within 'x' number of years based on polling and demographic factors. This has mostly come to be, exactly as predicted. I suspect that strong 'pro-environmental' public policies will come from governments, but only when the present ruling generation has retired or died off. It is the nature of democratic politics. I'm only afraid that the crisis is so large, that might be too little, too late.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:19 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Default Re: Peak Oil: A Chance to Change the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Source

An excellent speech - and a sign of the times with students preferring to hear from Heinberg rather than Exxon CEO for a commencement speech.

And the times are indeed changing - I remember reading, many years ago, about how gay marriage was due to pass within 'x' number of years based on polling and demographic factors. This has mostly come to be, exactly as predicted. I suspect that strong 'pro-environmental' public policies will come from governments, but only when the present ruling generation has retired or died off. It is the nature of democratic politics. I'm only afraid that the crisis is so large, that might be too little, too late.
What a fantastic speech! I wish that students everywhere had the opportunity to be shaken awake and inspired by such words of blatant, realistic truth. I despair when droves of them walk aimlessly into oncoming professors in the halls whilst their eyes are glued to the flickering lights of their text-messaging devices. The minds of this generation are being drawn into a perpetual state of entertainment that I hope they can have the courage to break free from. I understand it completely - I was raised by a television from the age of about six months. To this day, despite not watching TV programmes by choice, I cannot avoid getting sucked into its draw in a restaurant or other establishment if one is on in a corner somewhere. This sort of problem worries me because it is symptomatic of the root problem of the minds of this generation being more interested in being distracted than in facing the massive problems we are about to encounter in the world at large. I have those "dark days" that Heinberg talks about constantly. Learning and leading by example is all we can all do. Until any of this is legislated though, my neighbour's kid will continue to spend his summer trick riding his dirt bike down the road instead of learning about sustainable agriculture or alternative energy production or whatever is going to get us by in the post-peak oil world. What government will move to deny the masses their circus when it comes in the form of entertainment devices. So much energy is wasted in this world on forms of distraction. We are a glutinous creature after all.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 09:36 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Source

A chance to change the world? No. The world will change. It's a matter of whether we change with it, and thereby thrive.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 09:56 AM
Globetrotter

An excellent speech. The question in my mind being the same as Michael suggests, is it too late? Scientific education aside, as Greendruid points out a majority of contemporary youth seem indifferent to any subject not offering mindless entertainment in one form or another. To imagine that majority actually shedding its idealism, leaving the warm cocoon of parental and consumer products indulgence and taking the reins of power is almost comical.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 01:45 PM
Citizen

Sadly, this also reflects the sad state of affairs we have arrived at as a people:

Quote:
The students then invited Richard Heinberg, Senior Fellow of Post Carbon Institute, to give an alternative commencement speech. After a few days of negotiations, the college administration agreed to give Heinberg the podium immediately after the main ceremony. Many students chose to walk out during Tillerson’s address. This is what Richard Heinberg had to say.
Aside from being pathetically poor manners, this closed-mindedness is not a good sign for anyone.

Are we truly to the point where we cannot sit and listen to a point of view that we don't agree with? Or must every thought and word conform rigidly to the "correct" line of reasoning in order to even be heard?

Objectively, the chances are that regardless of one's beliefs on the issue, there were useful and valid points in both speeches. It used to be that institutions of higher learning instilled a respect for opposing views.

Truly sad.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old Jun 28th 2011, 01:59 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dot View Post
Sadly, this also reflects the sad state of affairs we have arrived at as a people:

Aside from being pathetically poor manners, this closed-mindedness is not a good sign for anyone.

Are we truly to the point where we cannot sit and listen to a point of view that we don't agree with? Or must every thought and word conform rigidly to the "correct" line of reasoning in order to even be heard?

Objectively, the chances are that regardless of one's beliefs on the issue, there were useful and valid points in both speeches. It used to be that institutions of higher learning instilled a respect for opposing views.

Truly sad.
What interesting comments could one expect to hear from the head of a major publicly owned corporation where every word has been vetted by spin doctors and in-house counsel? To me that would be as boring as listening to political campaign speeches.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 02:03 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:

Truly sad.
How heinous does an individual or position have to be to justify walking out?

Walking out in silent protest strikes me as a relatively respectful form of objection.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 03:02 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
How heinous does an individual or position have to be to justify walking out?

Walking out in silent protest strikes me as a relatively respectful form of objection.
What positions are so terrible that they cannot even be heard? If there can be no discourse, there can be no progress.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old Jun 28th 2011, 03:16 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
What interesting comments could one expect to hear from the head of a major publicly owned corporation where every word has been vetted by spin doctors and in-house counsel? To me that would be as boring as listening to political campaign speeches.
I'm not suggesting it would be exciting.

But this is no different that the closed-minded folks who won't listen to a Presidential address today because of who the President is. It's a sign of intellectual weakness, just as it would be if students listened to the Exxon guy and then walked out on the Post Carbon speaker.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old Jun 28th 2011, 03:30 PM
Citizen

Quote:
What positions are so terrible that they cannot even be heard? If there can be no discourse, there can be no progress.
How can there be any discourse or progress with liars? As heinberg notes in his speech it is a well documented fact that Exxon led the charge to misinform the public on matters of climate science. It an embarrassment to the school and to the students that such a man would even be allowed on campus. Walking out on him is pretty mild. I'd prefer he be beaten to a bloody pulp.

Andrew

-George Orwell