Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Dec 9th 2016, 05:15 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,033
Default The Crisis in India

Billionaire investor Jim Rogers once had high hopes for investments in India but in 2009 announced that he had given up on the country:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2009/05/...gers-on-india/

Then, this November India banned "big bills" in order to cope with corruption, big bills being the 500 and 1,000 rupee notes, being worth about $8 and $15 respectively.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/bu...tion.html?_r=0

This is a more*recent update:
https://mishtalk.com/2016/12/07/indi...-hidden-money/

India's largest political party endorses socialism and other parties include a large Hindu party, a Muslim party, a Marxist communist party, and a Maoist communist party, which on the surface at least might seem to create an insoluble religious and political nightmare, and this may be the reason that the mainstream media seems to be ignoring problems in India.

But India can also be viewed as an example of rampant Keynesianism run amuck, which may be another reason that the liberal mainstream media including Reuters seems to be completely silent on this subject.

India has about a billion intelligent, industrious people, and China has about the same, but their economic policies are radically different.
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:27 PM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: The Crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Billionaire investor Jim Rogers once had high hopes for investments in India but in 2009 announced that he had given up on the country:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2009/05/...gers-on-india/

Then, this November India banned "big bills" in order to cope with corruption, big bills being the 500 and 1,000 rupee notes, being worth about $8 and $15 respectively.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/bu...tion.html?_r=0

This is a more*recent update:
https://mishtalk.com/2016/12/07/indi...-hidden-money/

India's largest political party endorses socialism and other parties include a large Hindu party, a Muslim party, a Marxist communist party, and a Maoist communist party, which on the surface at least might seem to create an insoluble religious and political nightmare, and this may be the reason that the mainstream media seems to be ignoring problems in India.

But India can also be viewed as an example of rampant Keynesianism run amuck, which may be another reason that the liberal mainstream media including Reuters seems to be completely silent on this subject.

India has about a billion intelligent, industrious people, and China has about the same, but their economic policies are radically different.
What on earth are you talking about? India's largest party is a populist, right-wing, extreme nationalistic party. There can be no confusion about identity since they have an absolute majority.

Like almost everywhere else there's no trace of socialism left while the very worrying developments towards the extreme right are rampant. In India for instance it's now obligatory to play the national anthem before a movie in theatres and those who don't stand up during it are arrested!

Some socialism.
__________________
Wir haben es wieder nicht gewusst.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Dec 14th 2016, 07:02 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,805
Default Re: The Crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
What on earth are you talking about? India's largest party is a populist, right-wing, extreme nationalistic party. There can be no confusion about identity since they have an absolute majority.

Like almost everywhere else there's no trace of socialism left while the very worrying developments towards the extreme right are rampant. In India for instance it's now obligatory to play the national anthem before a movie in theatres and those who don't stand up during it are arrested!

Some socialism.
FYI, I believe it is still illegal to portray a kiss on screen in Indian movies. Reactionary conservatives - India has lots of them!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Dec 15th 2016, 04:19 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,033
Default Re: The Crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
What on earth are you talking about? India's largest party is a populist, right-wing, extreme nationalistic party. There can be no confusion about identity since they have an absolute majority.
According to Wikipedia:

"Indian National Congress dominates Indian politics. On the left-right spectrum the Indian National Congress is the typical welfare-heavy centre-left party."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_India

The BJP is the Hindu nationalist party that is socially conservative and supports Hindu crony capitalism, but there is no more an advocate of actual free enterprise in India than there is in the US (Not counting the insignicficant Libertarian Party.) or the EU, which I suspect is why Jim Rogers pulled his investments out.
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center

Last edited by Tom Palven; Dec 15th 2016 at 04:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 10:57 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,805
Default Re: The Crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
The BJP is the Hindu nationalist party that is socially conservative and supports Hindu crony capitalism, but there is no more an advocate of actual free enterprise in India than there is in the US (Not counting the insignicficant Libertarian Party.) or the EU, which I suspect is why Jim Rogers pulled his investments out.
I suspect that Jim Rogers hates Hindu crony capitalism because it isn't crony capitalism that favors Jim Rogers.

All international financiers (so called capitalists) are looking for crony capitalism. They live for it and profit massively from it. When they don't get the market protections they demand, they take their money and go home, whining about socialism (which they didn't get a piece of!).
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 19th 2017, 11:29 AM
Abishai100 Abishai100 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 178
Lightbulb Separation of Powers: Lessons from USA?

America's beneficial and balanced system of checks-and-balances and specifically separation of powers (a tri-pronged governmental system that inspects each others' activities) into the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches creates a nice perspective-enriching 'process' of civics negotiation.

It's a system that IMO Indian leaders could learn from and India could benefit from, since it's a nation that is interested greatly (IMO) in pedestrian needs and concerns (ever since the days of Gandhi).

There must be a way to coordinate culture with politics that does not necessarily mean fascism or socialism...

Here's a mock-dialogue between Krishna (Hindu god of negotiation), Shiva (Hindu god of destruction), and Vishnu (Hindu god of protection) about what separation of powers and hypothetical 'tri-pronged' cultural governance approach can mean for 'pedestrian idealism.'



====

KRISHNA: The German women's field hockey team has competed well...
SHIVA: It's a nice development for Germany crawling out of Nazism!
VISHNU: Yes, we don't want to demonize Nazi descendants...

KRISHNA: Investments and media attention for Germany's team is good.
SHIVA: Yes, the women's field hockey team needs (and wants) publicity!
VISHNU: This 'demand' is nicely-addressed by modern TV coverage.

KRISHNA: There is now even an Olympics TV channel/network.
SHIVA: I enjoy watching that and cheering for Germany's field hockey team.
VISHNU: Competitive sports is a nice way to address 'globalization.'

KRISHNA: Sports represents contract dialogue between nations.
SHIVA: We've seen the devastation of Olympics terrorism (i.e., Munich).
VISHNU: More investments in sports/media will offer securities...

KRISHNA: Olympics committees consider finance, management, and media.
SHIVA: The American Olympics squads are nicely 'furbished.'
VISHNU: The world envies America...

KRISHNA: If the Olympics is to encourage peace, we need dialogue...
SHIVA: Dialogue is much easier with separation-of-powers and neutrality!
VISHNU: U.S. democracy is good in this department (e.g., impeachments).

KRISHNA: India is a sports-cheering nation (e.g., cricket, field-hockey).
SHIVA: Gavaskar (cricket) and Dhyan Chand (field-hockey) are legends...
VISHNU: Maybe India's successes in sports can serve as political inspiration.

KRISHNA: Maybe India can learn from the US Men's Dream Team (1992).
SHIVA: That star-studded men's basketball team was a 'diplomacy boast.'
VISHNU: Checks-and-balances makes for good commerce (European Union).

====





Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 21st 2017, 06:08 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,805
Default Re: Separation of Powers: Lessons from USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abishai100 View Post
America's beneficial and balanced system of checks-and-balances and specifically separation of powers (a tri-pronged governmental system that inspects each others' activities) into the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches creates a nice perspective-enriching 'process' of civics negotiation.
No country in the world has copied the US system - probably for good reason. It is by far the least functional and most anti-democratic political system in the western world.

France's system is the only one that is even remotely close to the American system.

India has plenty enough problems as it is without inflicting this kind of punishment on them. I might also add that the parliamentary system that India inherited from the Brits is probably one of the only institutions in that country that actually functions fairly well (all things considered, given that we are talking about India).
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 28th 2017, 02:32 PM
Abishai100 Abishai100 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 178
Default The Sun-Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
No country in the world has copied the US system - probably for good reason.
I agree about this point in many way, especially since America's brand of 'traffic-gauged metaphysics' (i.e., 9/11, Black Friday, etc., etc.) makes anti-capitalism 'fervor' seem very 'natural.'

Americans should consider finding a new 'date' to 'forget' about 9/11 (besides the Taliban probably intentionally chose the date, so the media-frenzied American press would continually talk about it and over time create a haunting discussion about America's police emergency-call-code[!] --- 9-1-1).

How about the 28th? On October 28, 2015, there was some maritime intrigue involving America and some man-made islands in the South China Sea, and on March 28, 2017, Britain began leaving the European Union!

This October 28 falls on the last Saturday before Halloween (October 31) which falls on the following Tuesday.

If Americans experience some kind of 'intrigue/unrest' on October 28, and people start talking about 10/28 instead of 9/11, more astrology-minded non-Christians from around the world (e.g., zodiac-meditative Hindus in India) might talk more about 'American compatibility' with Eastern 'mysticism,' no?

After all, shouldn't politics be...a campfire experience?

I've decided every Friday should be some kind of 'Party-Festivity Day' in America (instead of its usual "Saturday Night Fever" pageantry) and Saturday parties should only reserved for the Halloween colored month of October (to signify the autumn harvest --- incidentally, how is the FDA being coordinated with fast-food exports across the globe now?).

When a Friday the 13th (superstition day of unlucky omens) falls on October, we can see if the Eastern world feels 'safe' calling the American government about securing 'traffic-clocks.'

In the meantime, I would be shocked to discover that the Trump Administration has a real progressive solution to India's troubled brand of 'direct-pedestrianism pulpit' politics. America has traditionally helped Pakistan (India's 'rival') and should explore forging trade-treaties with India to create any kind of political olive branch...





Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com