Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:04 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Looks like the Republican's second attempt to kill Obamacare and replace it with some horror story of public policy is going to fail.

It is rather amazing that the Republicans control the House, Senate and White House but can't pass the bill they've been campaigning for like 8 years.
Only sort of amazing. They are intellectually (and, of course, morally) bankrupt. It's tough to govern when you have spent your political careers ensuring that governing doesn't happen effectively and also you don't have any ideas.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jun 30th 2017, 05:58 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,820
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Only sort of amazing. They are intellectually (and, of course, morally) bankrupt. It's tough to govern when you have spent your political careers ensuring that governing doesn't happen effectively and also you don't have any ideas.
Intellectually and morally bankrupt I'll grant you, but they definitely do have ideas - lots and lots of ideas. The problem they have is that their ideas are sophomoric at best (I'm being generous). And sophomoric ideas do not make for functional public policy, let alone rational coherence.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jun 30th 2017, 06:02 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,820
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
We'll see, I guess. It looked like the House bill was dead too, but they managed to get something through after all. Trump is going to be desperate to make something happen before the end of the year.
An extra special wave of new and improved lies and bullshit to sell the same old lies and bullshit to the unbelievers? I suppose it is possible. The Washington media and the US voting public seem to really love Republican lies and bullshit.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jul 1st 2017, 06:43 AM
dilettante's Avatar
dilettante dilettante is offline
Moderator
Resident Historian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,082
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I suppose it is possible. The Washington media and the US voting public seem to really love Republican lies and bullshit.
Actually...at least in this particular instance, that doesn't seem to be the case. The main stream media is [mostly] criticizing the bill and publicizing the CBO's dismal reporting on its effects.

As for the public: As of yesterday the Senate replacement bill has the approval of at most 27% of the public and the active DISapproval of more than 50%. Obamacare, incidentally, is up to a 52% approval rating (according to FoxNews, of all places).
__________________
kyrie eleison
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jul 1st 2017, 10:35 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Actually...at least in this particular instance, that doesn't seem to be the case. The main stream media is [mostly] criticizing the bill and publicizing the CBO's dismal reporting on its effects.

As for the public: As of yesterday the Senate replacement bill has the approval of at most 27% of the public and the active DISapproval of more than 50%. Obamacare, incidentally, is up to a 52% approval rating (according to FoxNews, of all places).
And individual provisions, when disassociated from Black President's name are even more popular.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 09:14 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,820
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
And individual provisions, when disassociated from Black President's name are even more popular.
Yes, it has been that way all along.

Polls of AHA provisions show high popularity right up until you call it "Obamacare" and then the disapproval numbers skyrocket.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Jul 13th 2017, 06:13 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,820
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

The details of collusion between Trump and senior members of his staff with the Russians in an operation to game the US election seem to be dripping out, little by little. Donald Trump Jr. has been literally caught red-handed providing evidence of his invitation to meet with the Russians and specifically asking for Russian dirt on Hillary.

Seems like there is also a small but growing issue of Russian mob money laundering through Manhattan real estate, which also involves many of the same Trump players as well. Apparently Trump's own lawyer just got a sweetheart deal from the Justice department when they mysteriously settled on a big Russian money laundering case just two months ago. If that case when to trial, Trump's personal lawyer was likely to end up in jail. All the same players in that case are at the heart of the Trump-Russian connection issue.

The number of illegal acts tracing out of Trump and the Trump Administration keeps piling up so fast it is hard to keep track of it all.

It is only a matter of time before something breaks.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Jul 13th 2017, 07:24 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The details of collusion between Trump and senior members of his staff with the Russians in an operation to game the US election seem to be dripping out, little by little. Donald Trump Jr. has been literally caught red-handed providing evidence of his invitation to meet with the Russians and specifically asking for Russian dirt on Hillary.

Seems like there is also a small but growing issue of Russian mob money laundering through Manhattan real estate, which also involves many of the same Trump players as well. Apparently Trump's own lawyer just got a sweetheart deal from the Justice department when they mysteriously settled on a big Russian money laundering case just two months ago. If that case when to trial, Trump's personal lawyer was likely to end up in jail. All the same players in that case are at the heart of the Trump-Russian connection issue.

The number of illegal acts tracing out of Trump and the Trump Administration keeps piling up so fast it is hard to keep track of it all.

It is only a matter of time before something breaks.
Delicious, isn't it? I hate them. I fucking hate them all. Trump may ultimately skate, but people in his administration and family will end up in prison one fine day.

All that said, we should treat this only as a temporary reprieve (if that) for us to rebuild a real, meaningful, progressive alternative to the white nationalism that propelled him to power. We have to run people who seem like they give a shit.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 06:09 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,820
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Delicious, isn't it? I hate them. I fucking hate them all. Trump may ultimately skate, but people in his administration and family will end up in prison one fine day.
Normally, I'd expect some of these idiots to end up in jail, but this is US politics and we do have the Obama Administration for recent evidence of the Democratic Party's never ending ability to ignore the rampant illegalities of Republicans in the White House when they are in a position to prosecute.

None of those who ordered and/or engaged in illegal acts of torture under Bush admin paid any price for it at all (except for one or two token prosecutions of very low level troops who got caught on camera). Likewise with all the extra-ordinary and rampant fraud that occurred on Wall Street at the same time - zero investigations and prosecutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
All that said, we should treat this only as a temporary reprieve (if that) for us to rebuild a real, meaningful, progressive alternative to the white nationalism that propelled him to power. We have to run people who seem like they give a shit.
Yes certainly that.

And I do think one of the problems with the Democratic Party's base supporters is that they don't seem to care much about any office except the Presidency. It is all well and fine to mobilize and organize for a Presidential election, but the reason the Republicans dominate US politics so successfully and so consistently has a lot to do with focusing on winning state houses and governorships, as well as Congress.

The American left seems to think all they have to do is win the White House and it is all roses and sunshine. The hamstrung Obama Administration should have disabused them of this notion, but I don't see any evidence of that they've learned their lesson. Many of them are still trying to continue the Clinton-Sanders primary even now no matter how self-destructive and counter-productive that debate is.

Take over some fucking state houses for gawd's sake and stop the Republicans from redistricting themselves into permanent majority status!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jul 17th 2017, 06:48 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,045
Default Re: Trump Regime - Part II

You guys lament that the Democrats aren't in power, but here's why it doesn't seem to matter who is in power:

Way back in the day the Eisenhower administration apparently either helped orchestrate or signed off on Operation Ajax, the combined US/British overthrow of the only democratically-elected government in a Muslim country in the Mid-East in 1953.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_I..._d%27%C3%A9tat

This was officially a secret from the US public until Obama apologized to the Iranians a few years ago, annoying a bunch of neoconservatives, but because the elected US administration at the time was at least in favor of the action, imho this didn't qualify as Deep State activity.

However the overthrow of Dr. Mohammed Morsi's democratically-elected Freedom and Justice Party-controlled parliament in 2013 was apparently a different matter.

The Obama administration seemed to be in favor of this fledgling democracy, but US CENTCOM either actively aided and abetted it's overthrow, or stood by and watched and continued to fund the Egyptian military as military dictator Mohammed Fattah al-Sisi took over the country.
http://www.centcom.mil/

Dr. Morsi remains in prison today while al-Sisi has abolished freedom of speech and of the press, and the US still funds his military. (Btw, Dr. Morsi has a PhD in Electrical Engineering, not theology.)

The question is if the Obama administration didn't authorize CENTCOM to orchestrate or allow the overthrow of the elected Egyptian government, who did? We can say the Deep State did it, but exactly who and what the Deep State is still remains a question, one that perhaps Edward Snowden may shed some light on some day.

But, in any case it doesn't seem that either Congress or the executive branch control the US government.
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center

Last edited by Tom Palven; Jul 17th 2017 at 06:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com