Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > War and Conflict

War and Conflict UN, NATO, Iraq, Afghanistan, War on Terror, Israel & Palestine, and all international political conflicts.

Old Jun 20th 2015, 04:17 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: The Arab Sring versus the Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
While I'm inclined to agree with this in principle, I must point out that there was just no fucking way Obama could have increased military operations in Iraq (for this or any other purpose) at any time during his administration even if he wanted to do it. It just wasn't politically possible for him to do that.
Back then the US wasn't strictly necessary. The major European countries could have done it too. The UK could have. The French could have. They did it successfully in Mali after all. In its early days ISIS was little more than a big gang of criminals with no access to armoured vehicles or similar weaponry.

But that was then. Humpty-Dumpty yet again....
Old Jun 21st 2015, 06:38 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
ISIS is different from the Taliban. The Taliban is similar to e.g. Hezbollah. They actually organized society. They did so in a very authoritarian and repressive way but those that adhered to their system had nothing to fear.
Not so with ISIS, they terrorize literally everyone, including their own adherents. They're just scum who are rejected by everyone outside their own circles, including e.g. the Taliban or even Al-Qaeda!

Drones are just cowardly toys. They don't achieve anything other than increasing anti-Western attitudes.
I agree with you entirely about drones, but I'm a little bit skeptical about ISIS.

Enemies are always demonized. For example, when the Taliban is a US enemy it is an incredibly misogynistic and evil group. When it's a US ally it's just a little bit misguided, like Saudi Arabia.

It seems doubtful to me that ISIS is composed of people with completely different mind-sets than the people in al-Nusra, al Qaeda, etc.

When you say that they "terrorize everyone," are they taking a page out of the US playbook regarding "shock and awe," and torture and humiliation at Abu Ghraib?

Again, I don't know whether the ISIS fighters are total demons or not, but if not, the State Department has done an "American exceptionalism" type job of demonizing them.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 06:28 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
I agree with you entirely about drones, but I'm a little bit skeptical about ISIS.

Enemies are always demonized. For example, when the Taliban is a US enemy it is an incredibly misogynistic and evil group. When it's a US ally it's just a little bit misguided, like Saudi Arabia.

It seems doubtful to me that ISIS is composed of people with completely different mind-sets than the people in al-Nusra, al Qaeda, etc.

When you say that they "terrorize everyone," are they taking a page out of the US playbook regarding "shock and awe," and torture and humiliation at Abu Ghraib?

Again, I don't know whether the ISIS fighters are total demons or not, but if not, the State Department has done an "American exceptionalism" type job of demonizing them.
As I've mentioned before, I can't take any pages out of US media or propaganda simply because I'm not exposed to it (and don't regret it one bit). What your State Department says or does is of zero consequence to me.
The atrocities ISIS does are well documented for the simple reason they're so proud of it they record it and publicize it all over the place. Wanna see a video where they behead people by means of an explosives-filled necklace for fun? No problem, it and similar stuff is made available by them.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 10:23 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
As I've mentioned before, I can't take any pages out of US media or propaganda simply because I'm not exposed to it (and don't regret it one bit). What your State Department says or does is of zero consequence to me.
The atrocities ISIS does are well documented for the simple reason they're so proud of it they record it and publicize it all over the place. Wanna see a video where they behead people by means of an explosives-filled necklace for fun? No problem, it and similar stuff is made available by them.
Nah, I'd no sooner want to watch that than watch burning napalmed villagers running out of huts in Vietnam, or Lynndie England pointing a gun at Iraqi prisoners' crotches at Abu Ghraib.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 10:01 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Here's more on the great ally that US taxpayers send hundreds of millions of dollars in military aid to:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...074836427.html

Old Jul 1st 2015, 09:00 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Here's more on the great ally that US taxpayers send hundreds of millions of dollars in military aid to:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...074836427.html

Egypt's Prosecutor General dead:

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...mb-attack.html
Old Jul 1st 2015, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

As I said before, the 'Arab Spring' looks almost exactly like the 'Status Quo'.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 09:38 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
As I said before, the 'Arab Spring' looks almost exactly like the 'Status Quo'.
It (is) the best of times, it is the worst of times... it (is) the Spring of Hope...

Last edited by Tom Palven; Jul 1st 2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 03:56 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

US closes embassy as opposition to Russian and US hegemony continues to spread, it seems.

http://news.antiwar.com/2015/09/04/8...-by-islamists/
Old Sep 13th 2015, 06:37 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Seems like the State Dept./CIA still can't make up its mind which is worse, ISIS controlling Syria, or a Russia-allied Assad government controlling Syria.

http://news.antiwar.com/2015/09/11/o...ed-to-failure/