Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > War and Conflict

War and Conflict UN, NATO, Iraq, Afghanistan, War on Terror, Israel & Palestine, and all international political conflicts.

Old Feb 18th 2015, 05:37 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: The Aghanistan War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Yes, because the Associated Press is the biggest propaganda network in the US, dominating the news in most papers, and quoting "unnamed sources" at the Pentagon, State Dept., and Treasury Dept., which according to polls most Americans apparently believe, and which a lot of the world laughs at.

Unlike Reuters, The Guardian, Russia Today, Le Monde, al Jazeera, and other news sources, not to mention Anti-war.com, the AP is very sparing in printing anything that might be embarrassing to the US bureaucracy, with which it enjoys a very cozy relationship.
Russia Today are certainly as biased towards their own government as the Associated Press are towards theirs. Do you disagree?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 05:41 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
And the parrot-like TV media are just about as bad. The second little clip that follows on "economic factors" is just as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9x-yDyN78
Sorry, that clip on the economy didn't come up above.

Here it is, short and priceless:
http://teamcoco.com/video/media-reacts-easter-bunny
Old Feb 18th 2015, 07:12 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Russia Today are certainly as biased towards their own government as the Associated Press are towards theirs. Do you disagree?
You're probably right.

Russia Today may not print unfavorable info about Russia, and Reuters may not print much unfavorable information about Germany, either, but I get more actual info about what the US is doing in the Mid-East from RT and Reuters than I do from the AP.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 07:15 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
You're probably right.

Russia Today may not print unfavorable info about Russia, and Reuters may not print much unfavorable information about Germany, either, but I get more actual info about what the US is doing in the Mid-East from RT and Reuters than I do from the AP.
What I've put in bold isn't something I've heard before - what makes you think it?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 07:35 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
What I've put in bold isn't something I've heard before - what makes you think it?
I'm only saying that Reuters may not be printing unfavorable news about the German economy, or something like that. I don't know enough about the German economy to know if Reuters is printing the full truth, exaggerating the good side, or whatever.

What I know for an absolute fact is that the AP completely distorted the Palestinian election results and the aftermath of the Palestinian elections that Dubya and Condoleezza Rice helped orchestrate, which I've documented in a thread called The Associated Press over at Skeptics.com, and that the AP has not reported on some important but unfavorable news about the US involvement in the Mid-East, or unfavorable, but well-documented, facts about the US economy, which foreign news sources have reported on.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Afghanistan Taliban: Militants 'close to capturing' Sangin

Reports from the southern Afghan province of Helmand suggest Taliban militants are close to overrunning the strategically important town of Sangin.

Helmand's governor, Mirza Khan Rahimi, insisted the authorities were still in control but his own deputy said that Sangin had been overrun.

The Taliban said they controlled most of the town and the main administrative building had been abandoned.

In the east, a Taliban attack near Bagram killed six US soldiers.

It was one of the deadliest attacks on foreign forces in Afghanistan this year.

Some 12,000 foreign soldiers are deployed as part of the Nato-led Resolute Support international coalition, which is meant to underpin Afghanistan's own security forces.
Source

Who could have predicted that a trillion dollars and a 14 year military operation could produce such remarkably poor results?

Anyone favoring any military operation in the Middle East should have to explain to everyone why and how their proposed operation will be more successful than this endless Afghani debacle. If they can't do that, they should either volunteer on the front lines or shut up about it.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 10:32 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

It depends on your perspective. That trillion dollars has produced excellent results for drone manufacturers and others involved in military-industrial-congressional complex.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 09:43 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Source

Who could have predicted that a trillion dollars and a 14 year military operation could produce such remarkably poor results?

Anyone favoring any military operation in the Middle East should have to explain to everyone why and how their proposed operation will be more successful than this endless Afghani debacle.
Some did that, but you ignored the arguments

Quote:
If they can't do that, they should either volunteer on the front lines or shut up about it.
With me in the front line, I admit an anti-Daesh military intervention would indeed fail.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Some did that, but you ignored the arguments
I strongly doubt that since the Afghan war originated in late 2001/early 2002 and I didn't even know you or USPO then. I joined USPO in 2004.

For the record I originally supported the Afghan NATO operation, but after the first 3-4 years of that it became obvious that the plan wasn't going to work and the NATO Afghanistan operation became just a political quagmire (an operation continued only to save political face).

I of course opposed the Iraqi operation from day one (accurately predicting a Sunni-Shia civil war would logically follow any regime change there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
With me in the front line, I admit an anti-Daesh military intervention would indeed fail.
My point is that you on the front lines wouldn't be any less productive than anyone else there. Piling up dead bodies doesn't always solve problems. This is one of those situations.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 04:13 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
... the NATO Afghanistan operation became just a political quagmire (an operation continued only to save political face).
I think that you agree that it's not entirely about losing face, that some in the Military-Industrial-Congressional-Complex are getting very wealthy off these wars.