Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Oct 20th 2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default National Anthems

Originally posted back on August 16th, 2008

Here's a cool article written by some guy who listened to all 205 national anthems that could be played the Olympics...

He lists the 'top-ten' best anthems from around the world.

Article
Old Oct 20th 2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: National Anthems

Here's some recovered replies to this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolio
Very nice. I especially like the comparison of the anthem from the Virgin Islands to Mary Poppins; it makes it sound like such a nice place.

Here's a better link to the V.I. anthem then the one he provides (which comes out pretty midi-esque): http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwhY4...eature=related
Quote:
Germany's national Anthem has an interesting history. Wikepedia provides a good article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Lied_der_Deutschen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Quote:
Germany's national Anthem has an interesting history. Wikepedia provides a good article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Lied_der_Deutschen
Indeed it is an interesting history - more so than most anthems I'm sure.

And yes, I know that song as "Deutschland über alles" it seems that is what it is best known by in the 'English language world'. The song was used in lots of WW2 movies - German soldiers are always singing it while drinking!

To be honest, I'm definitely not keen on the Canadian national anthem at all. I much prefer the 'Star Spangled Banner' or 'God Save the Queen' (though that one is starting to sound a bit cheesy now. The tune is a good one though.
Quote:
Interestingly the "Deutschland über alles" lyrics were written in 1841 when Germany didn't even exist as a nation state. It's not a NAZI song at all originally. In fact it was the opposite of a nationalist song. It was rather calling for supranational unity and peace ... a bit like the "European Idea" of today. Quite ironic, actually.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: National Anthems

Here's an interesting link to more National Anthems - this time those with 'fear' as their defining characteristic.

Quote:
We all know that the American national anthem tells the inspiring story of a brave flag that survives a scary night by believing in itself. But not all national anthems steal their plots from children's books. In fact, some countries aren't satisfied until their national anthem makes any child within earshot weep in terror. Here are six that take pride in their land to a whole new and insanely violent level.
Source

Seems notable that both France and Italy's anthems are listed among the six.

Personally, I kinda like the Turkish anthem, though the old USSR anthem was definitely my fav.