Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Philosophy & Political Theory

Philosophy & Political Theory What is the meaning of life? What is truth? Good vs Evil? This is the forum to debate about anything and everything!

Old Feb 25th 2013, 08:09 PM
World Citizen

Default If Language-Games Exist, Everyone Has Tourettes

Ludwig Wittgenstein once said, "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

He also came up with the idea of language-games which refers to the many-to-many relationship between semantics and aesthetics. That is we can never know what someone really means because ideas can be expressed in many ways, and the same way can be used to express many ideas.

Therefore, nobody should ever speak.

Therefore, everyone has tourettes.

/half-joke

Last edited by Daktoria; Feb 25th 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: If Language-Games Exist, Everyone Has Touret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
Ludwig Wittgenstein once said, "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
In many respects, I think Wittgenstein was an idiot. This particular quotation is certainly one of them.

Even if one cannot speak, I can think of no reason to be silent.

Only some idiot intellectual with his head up his ass would say that a lack the ability to speak makes for silence. Tell that to the dogs howling at the moon.

Quote:
He also came up with the idea of language-games which refers to the many-to-many relationship between semantics and aesthetics. That is we can never know what someone really means because ideas can be expressed in many ways, and the same way can be used to express many ideas.

Therefore, nobody should ever speak.
Therefore Ludwig Wittgenstein is a closet authoritarian. Ludwig seems to believe that his own choices are universal - or ought to be. That's the mind of an authoritarian.

My opinion of Wittgenstein (which was never high to begin with) just dropped 20 points. He's almost down there with John Stuart Mill now.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 09:45 PM
World Citizen

Mike, he's saying if someone doesn't know about something, someone must be silent about it. He's not talking about the actual faculty of speech.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of libertarians nowadays. I've been talking on freesteader with a bunch, and they're basically anarchists who don't respect the properness behind property rights.

I basically asked them, "What do you do about rectification? If someone's violated to the point of incapacitation, how does someone achieve justice? After all, the non-aggression principle forbids them from compelling third parties to assist."

They said that's just part of life. People assume the risk of worst case scenarios.

They're lunatics.

Last edited by Daktoria; Feb 25th 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Mike, he's saying if someone doesn't know about something, someone must be silent about it. He's not talking about the actual faculty of speech.
And that's pure authoritarianism. He is demanding silence from people who don't meet his standards for speech.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not a big fan of libertarians nowadays. I've been talking on freesteader with a bunch, and they're basically anarchists who don't respect the properness behind property rights.
I find libertarians (glibertarians) to be hilariously ignorant about property rights.

They honestly seem to believe that property rights don't come from governments. They are fools.

Without governments, there is no property, let alone property rights.

Quote:
I basically asked them, "What do you do about rectification? If someone's violated to the point of incapacitation, how does someone achieve justice? After all, the non-aggression principle forbids them from compelling third parties to assist."

They said that's just part of life. People assume the risk of worst case scenarios.

They're lunatics.
No, they are usually authoritarians. They want the authority to force you do go along with the way THEY want to do things. That's what US libertarianism is all about.

If they were actual anarchists, I might have more respect for them. But that would require that they come to grips with the state being the source of property rights and that ain't going to happen. True anarchists reject property rights because you can't have property or property rights without governments.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 03:02 AM
World Citizen

I do not know much about word games but I find it very difficult not blurt out, "Look everybody at the tattoos and silly-cone tits on that flucking bimbo!" Does that make me a closet Touretsian?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
I do not know much about word games but I find it very difficult not blurt out, "Look everybody at the tattoos and silly-cone tits on that flucking bimbo!" Does that make me a closet Touretsian?
Good question.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 03:15 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
In many respects, I think Wittgenstein was an idiot. This particular quotation is certainly one of them.

Even if one cannot speak, I can think of no reason to be silent.

Only some idiot intellectual with his head up his ass would say that a lack the ability to speak makes for silence. Tell that to the dogs howling at the moon.

Therefore Ludwig Wittgenstein is a closet authoritarian. Ludwig seems to believe that his own choices are universal - or ought to be. That's the mind of an authoritarian.

My opinion of Wittgenstein (which was never high to begin with) just dropped 20 points. He's almost down there with John Stuart Mill now.
You have entirely missed the point of what Wittgenstein means by "Of that of which we cannot speak, we must pass over in silence"

I take it then the Tractatus was not studied where you learned?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 03:18 AM
Citizen

Quote:
That's a little closer but not really what he is getting at, he is not talking about an individual's knowledge here
Old Apr 4th 2014, 03:24 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
And that's pure authoritarianism. He is demanding silence from people who don't meet his standards for speech.
No, that's not what he is doing, think ontology
Old Apr 5th 2014, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
No, that's not what he is doing, think ontology
You likely have no clue what point Daktoria is getting at. Have you read any of his other threads created? The guy is rather complicated.