Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Oct 28th 2012, 04:48 PM
Globetrotter

Default James Bond

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people go to watch James Bond.

I have never enjoyed a James Bond film.

What do other people think?
Old Oct 28th 2012, 06:00 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people go to watch James Bond.

I have never enjoyed a James Bond film.

What do other people think?
Probably because women like him and men want to be like him

It is same here. We had a very popular TV show called Agent of State Security (was taken off after Andrei Krasko, the actor who played one of two main characters, died)

The two main characters are FSB agent [Major of State Security] Aleksei Nikolaev (played by Mikhail Porechenkov) and his partner, also Major, Andrei Krasnov (played by Krasko)

Nikolaev is one who beats people up, fights wild gun battles, crashes cars, etc. The James Bond type of guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7JKY9Jh9YA

Former OMON man, who was transferred to FSB specnaz during service in Chechnya. Superman basically lol

Krasnov is one who GETS beaten up or shot in every episode, before Nikolev arrives to save him. Seriously, in every damned episode, he gets injured somehow.

He is basically there for humor. Krasko was a comedy actor, and a brilliant one too, he will never be replaced.

Meanwhile, Lekha Nikolaev also manages to somehow sleep with every young and attractive female witness, fellow agent, and even some of the criminals Women just love him

There is also their boss, Colonel Ivan Tarasov

When they get drunk and get in trouble, which is quite often

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL1czn2oYyY) he is one who has to clean it up. His main line is "What did you mess up this time?"

Well, the point is, this show was popular for the same reasons as Bond. Some many women longed for Lekha Nikolaev. So many men wanted to be like him. I confess, even I was one of those men, though Karina says I could probably win in a fight against him anyway She knows how to use flattery to her advantage... lol

Well, Bond is the same thing. He epitomized manhood and masculinity, didn't he? The ultimate man. That is probably why.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 02:02 AM
Globetrotter

It just sounds so boring - some trouble happens, the superhero turns up, he gets in a spot of bother, and then he wins. I cannot understand how people can be interested in that.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 08:35 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
It just sounds so boring - some trouble happens, the superhero turns up, he gets in a spot of bother, and then he wins. I cannot understand how people can be interested in that.
Things blow up, there is action, and attractive women. That's pretty much all I really need for a movie.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 08:40 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Things blow up, there is action, and attractive women. That's pretty much all I really need for a movie.
There is indeed a market for that simple recipe - it's just that James Bond films, for some reason, attract some people who normally would require other film ingredients.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 04:07 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
There is indeed a market for that simple recipe - it's just that James Bond films, for some reason, attract some people who normally would require other film ingredients.
Well, you are right... Certainly our Shtirlitz was much more of a great spy then your Bond. He did not have any super-technology, flying cars, shooting cigars and such.

He had his own brain, that's all, and a gun

And he infiltrated the Gestapo

That is why there are monuments to him today

Especially now that we know there was, in fact, a REAL Soviet intelligence agent who served as prototype for Shtirlitz. His name was Anatoly Gurevich

He died in 2009 in Saint Petersburg at the age of 2009. Even after Yulian Semenov wrote his books and then the films were made, the "real Shtirlitz" never came out of the shadows, never spoke of what he did for his country. Only shortly before his death did he allow his story to come to public knowledge.
http://www.e1.ru/news/images/296/683...9_gurevich.jpg

Cannot say that about Bond, can you?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 04:10 PM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfandI, you started that last post by saying that I was right. Then you said something that was completely unrelated to what I had said. What exactly was I right about?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 04:23 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
MeMyselfandI, you started that last post by saying that I was right. Then you said something that was completely unrelated to what I had said. What exactly was I right about?
That it is stupid to worship James Bond
Old Oct 29th 2012, 04:58 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
That it is stupid to worship James Bond
No, it's not stupid, if one wants to worship him, then one can.
I just think the films are very boring.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Cannot say that about Bond, can you?
Actually, the author of the original Bond books, Ian Fleming was indeed a spy with Britain's MI5. The book-series is far more realistic than the Bond movies.

But if you are looking for even more authenticity, the best western spy books have been written by John Le Carre - another longtime MI5 spy. His books are loaded with technical details of the actual modern are of spying.