Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Mar 18th 2012, 09:43 PM
Globetrotter

Default "European" Russia lol

By the initiative of the Republic of Tuva, the Russian Ministry of Health and Social Development has expanded its list of professions eligible for early retirement and pension, to include "traditional throat-singing artist" (hoomeizhi).

Before, they were lumped in together with regular vocal artists. Now, they will receive special status.
http://lentaregion.ru/22850

The status will also include Altaic kaichy

whose singing, while similar to the Mongol-descended hoomeizhi of Tuva, Buryatia, and Kalmykia, nonetheless has a different style.
http://www.gorno-altaisk.info/news/14894

Well-known kaich Bolot Bairyshev performs at "Inturmarket-2010" in Moscow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVMo4MXFycI

Folk group "Tuva", classic hoomeizhi singing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4D3qSTr9p8

Incredibly European, isn't it, Nick?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:20 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: "European" Russia lol

Russia is a big country and, as you've pointed out, incredibly diverse.

It, and its people, spans two continents.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:29 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Russia is a big country and, as you've pointed out, incredibly diverse.

It, and its people, spans two continents.
I know that. Nick, apparently, does not
Old Mar 19th 2012, 01:11 AM
Globetrotter

If those people mean Russia is not a European country, then apparently, England, Spain, Germany and Scandinavia are not European either...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morris-dancers-15.jpg (63.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg galicia1.jpg (23.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bavarian-costume-201-p.jpg (27.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg LAPS.jpg (22.8 KB, 2 views)
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:50 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
If those people mean Russia is not a European country, then apparently, England, Spain, Germany and Scandinavia are not European either...
I was not talking about their style of dress, I was talking about their clearly Asian appearance.

In any case, all I am saying is that you oversimplify things. Russia is not entirely European or totally Asian, it is both.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 03:07 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I was not talking about their style of dress, I was talking about their clearly Asian appearance.

In any case, all I am saying is that you oversimplify things. Russia is not entirely European or totally Asian, it is both.
In case you hadn't noticed, the Scandinavian sami don't look very 'European' either, so that puts Scandinavia in the same bracket as Russia, as far as that goes.
You seem to have a very clearly defined idea of Europe, which is interesting considering that most Europeans don't have a clearly defined idea.
It doesn't bother me whether or not Russia is European or not, I sometimes refer to it as European due to its Slavic-speaking majority, and its membership of so many European sports organisation and the Council of Europe, and this is not something I do to provoke you, it's something I do because it's something that happens automatically.
I really don't think you should let it bother you so much.
I think there are far more important things to worry about - why, the children of the Pussy Riot group could see their mothers in jail soon, thanks to you and the other signatories, so it puts this 'is Russia Euroean' question in some perspective.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17366601

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Mar 19th 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 03:54 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, the Scandinavian sami don't look very 'European' either, so that puts Scandinavia in the same bracket as Russia, as far as that goes.
You seem to have a very clearly defined idea of Europe, which is interesting considering that most Europeans don't have a clearly defined idea.
It doesn't bother me whether or not Russia is European or not, I sometimes refer to it as European due to its Slavic-speaking majority, and its membership of so many European sports organisation and the Council of Europe, and this is not something I do to provoke you, it's something I do because it's something that happens automatically.
I really don't think you should let it bother you so much.
I think there are far more important things to worry about - why, the children of the Pussy Riot group could see their mothers in jail soon, thanks to you and the other signatories, so it puts this 'is Russia Euroean' question in some perspective.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17366601
You are precisely right, Nick. Russia is not Europe. In London, a mob of homeless drug addicts could besiege Saint Paul's Cathedral for days

Those Pussy Riot women thought they could do that here in Russia and get away with it. But, we are not Europe. We will not have our Orthodox Christian Faith spat and stomped upon. We will not have our churches dececrated in this manner. This is what this trial will show.

In Russia, unlike England, the Orthodox Church is still a force, unlike your Anglican/Protestant Church (which is a politically correct joke, at this point). Here, there are still many millions of truly Christian people who, while welcoming our Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, shamanist, and even atheist brothers, sisters, and compatriots; will not bend down and abandon our Faith.

We (most of us) will not advocate for killing of gays. But we also will not let them march through the streets of our cities. We take pride in our Faith and our culture, unlike Europeans, who seem ashame of it; unlike the French who have banned their children from wearing crosses in schools.

That, Nick, is why Russia is not Europe.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 04:02 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
You are precisely right, Nick. Russia is not Europe
I didn't say that.