Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Welcome & Introductions

Welcome & Introductions A place to introduce yourself and to find help with using forum features!

Old Oct 20th 2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Question Who Are You?

"Who are you?"

So sayeth the caterpiller...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caterpillar.jpg (64.7 KB, 5 views)
Old Oct 20th 2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Who Are You?

I'll go first!

My name is Michael (go figure), and I am the owner and administrator of the forum. I was born and raised in Toronto Canada, and slave away most of my precious time as a general manager type dude at a small manufacturing company. I'm a 40ish Gen-x kind of guy, with degrees in political science and philosophy (BA, MA), and a passion for online debate and discussion on a wide variety of topics - most of which are covered in the forum topic listings!

As for my politics, suffice it to say that conservatives usually perceive me to be a liberal while liberals almost always consider me to be far too conservative. That is to say, I am rather confortable in the mushy middle ground of pragmatism on most issues.

And truth be told, I also have a fondness for the many colorful characters of Lewis Carroll's classic, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", from which the title of this thread comes.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:19 PM
Official Forum Mascot

I'm Donkey, known in the non-internet world as Camilo. I'm slightly too young to legally partake in some of the pleasures of life and am in the first semester of my senior year at a small school in northeast Ohio. I hope to graduate with a degree in Political Science and International Studies. Actually, I have to figure out my schedule for next semester in the next couple of days to make sure that I actually graduate.

My politics can be generally considered very, very left wing, but I kind of reject that version of the political spectrum. I am quite liberal in the traditional sense of the word in many areas, but not all. I consider myself very much a small-d democrat, which colours a lot of my views.

I also act, and am currently in a show called Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All For You.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 02:00 PM
Globetrotter

Resident cynic. I'm retired from a career in the business world and would consider my political label as fiscally conservative social moderate.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 02:37 PM
Villager

The Sister, so-called because I am Michael's sister. Also raised in Toronto, but much more of a free and foot loose spirit than my brother , I have lived in BC and Chicago, graduated from art school, worked for Greenpeace, studied accounting and am currently a single mom of a first year university student, working as a free lance bookkeeper for a number of arts type clients.

My politics are left but I tend to annoy both sides with pragmatism. While not a forum junkie, I am endlessly curious about how and why things happen the way they do and have really enjoyed reading all of your views on a whole range of topics. And one day I hope to win at 'Guess the City'
Old Oct 20th 2008, 09:28 PM
Globetrotter

Hi, I'm Dominick, your technical administrator.

I live in Belgium, Flanders more specifically, although without any special feelings for either of these names. Politically I'm a rational anarchist in the tradition of Peter Kropotkin and like him, continuously endeavouring to establish the ideology on purely rational and scientific grounds. Thus balaclavas and Molotov cocktails do not enter the equation
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:45 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Hi I'm Greendruid, so called because I'm a druid and I like green things, especially living ones. In my day-job I'm a Professor of Anthropology at a small Canadian university. When I get a chance I'm a part-time farmer and in pursuit of the ever-elusive self-sustainable lifestyle thrust off by my ancestors for TVs and TV-dinners. I'm much too opinionated to actually be political but I enjoy reading about and commenting on politics. I call politics from the perspective of someone who truly believes in treading lightly and destroying the human addiction to money. This can sometimes be left and sometimes (but less often) be right of centre. Sometimes it's neither it seems any more.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:54 AM
Nomad

*salutes*

YarrrRRrRRrRR!

imma pirate mateys. a seafarin' sailor from days gone by.

i'm not much of a poster, to be honest, but a few folks whom i used to avidly read and follow have made their way to this port.

imma here mostly to read.

me backround be in the fine arts, so most 'o the complicated stuffs often goes o'er me noggin.

i miss the coherence 'o the rabbit and americano on the good ship USPOL, so imma glad to see whar them two made landfall.

aye.

-MeadHallPirate
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:46 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Hey all, came to this forum from another. I'm a college student history major, religion minor. I'll probably post most on religion, but politically I'm an old conservative (small government, low taxes, that sort of thing). I'm not dogmatic though about my politics.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 01:41 AM
Villager

Hello... I'm Helene. Some of you might know me. I'm Dutch.

Politically I am pragmatic. I suppose that comes out as leftist libertarian most of the time. I'm all for personal responsibility, but without the "screw you" attitude that so often accompanies it.

Between relationship, work, child and social life, I don't have an awful lot of time, but hopefully I'll be able to stop by frequently enough.