Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Welcome & Introductions

Welcome & Introductions A place to introduce yourself and to find help with using forum features!

Old Feb 7th 2012, 09:02 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Hello From Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
Yes drinking is common in Lebanon.
Ah, good
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:36 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
There is a seat for religious minorities that Jews can occupy. It is not about being religious, but rather being registered as belonging to a faith. And it would be dictatorship if other people were barred from voting. As it is, it is closer to religious civil rights infringement.

Anyway there are groups calling for secularist ion and a clause in the constitution that asks parliament to make a committee whose task is to abolish confessional ism.
That would be wise, I think. I know the split government was in order to foster stability when it was enacted, but I think it's led to a lot of problems down the road.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:38 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
That would be wise, I think. I know the split government was in order to foster stability when it was enacted, but I think it's led to a lot of problems down the road.

it is due to the history of dhimmitude of christians in the middle east and the fact that muslim governments don't separate the koran from the state. It was and is a way of sharing power without having one religion dominating the other.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:45 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
it is due to the history of dhimmitude of christians in the middle east and the fact that muslim governments don't separate the koran from the state. It was and is a way of sharing power without having one religion dominating the other.
I am moderately familiar with the circumstances under which it was enacted. As I said, it probably was necessary to stop factional violence, but I think it could be done away with now. But I'll defer to you on it, I'm not living it!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I am moderately familiar with the circumstances under which it was enacted. As I said, it probably was necessary to stop factional violence, but I think it could be done away with now. But I'll defer to you on it, I'm not living it!

unfortunately it can't be done away with now, because the people are more sectarian than ever. Furthermore, in a region that is embarrassing more extremist muslims groups and in view that the most powerful political party in lebanon is an islamic party ( hizballah) christians would be very afraid of giving up their only insurance against islamic persecution.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Since we're on the topic of discussing religion and politics in Lebanon, the one thing I'd like some more info about is the difference or connection between Christian Druze and Marionite Christians.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:43 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I am a lebanese Maronite catholic. I have lived in lebanon all my life, except for 2 years when I lived in Egypt.
I work in software. I love reading non fiction books and movies. I have an interest in politics, economics and conspiracy theory.

Looking forward to a global discussion.
If you have the time and inclination, I'd be curious see a thread expressing your opinions on the offshore natural gas scenario being played out by Israel and Lebanon. It's my understanding that Israel has secured capitalization for exploration and is going forward while Lebanon's position is still intent but capital hasn't committed due to past history between the two countries.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 12:31 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Since we're on the topic of discussing religion and politics in Lebanon, the one thing I'd like some more info about is the difference or connection between Christian Druze and Marionite Christians.
the druze and maronites have always opposed one another politically. In Mount Lebanon (the predecessor of the current lebanon) the druze were the feudal lords who ruled the land and the maronites were the peasants who opposed them.

Religiously speaking, Druze are not christians at all. They sometimes refer to themselves as muslims but they are not that either. They believe in muhamad, but also in re-incarnation. Maronites on the other hand are Catholics who are in full communion with the Pope in Rome.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 12:33 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
If you have the time and inclination, I'd be curious see a thread expressing your opinions on the offshore natural gas scenario being played out by Israel and Lebanon. It's my understanding that Israel has secured capitalization for exploration and is going forward while Lebanon's position is still intent but capital hasn't committed due to past history between the two countries.
Well, the question is whether the natural gas deposits fall within lebanese maritime jurisdiction. I don't know much about the issue, except that the Lebanese government claims that it does, while the israel stick to the contrary.

What is true, is that right now israel has the capacity to drill down and get the gas, while lebanon doesn't.