Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old May 24th 2017, 01:30 PM
Resident Historian

Default Stellaris

Since things are kind of slow around here and the actual news of world events is a flood of horror and depression, I thought I'd open up a thread on imaginary universes. Stellaris is still just $12 in the Humble Monthly deal if anyone wants to pick it up. So far I've mostly just played around with the empire creator (which is shockingly fun, even though I've never actually started a game with most of my creations).

Anyway, I know a few others here play the game, so if anyone is interested in livening up the forum by trading stories/builds/impressions, here's a place to do it.

I'm going to try actually playing the game (beyond the empire creator) with these guys:

Their racial traits and government ethics are pretty much whole-heartedly devoted to maximizing income and resource extraction, with just a soupçon of slavery. Their oligarchic culture is hyper-materialistic and authoritarian.

Any relation to actual cultures, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
Old May 24th 2017, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Stellaris

I have acquired but not played the game.

Would love to hear more about the game from Non and Dominick (and Dil has he gets started).
Old May 25th 2017, 01:02 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Since things are kind of slow around here and the actual news of world events is a flood of horror and depression, I thought I'd open up a thread on imaginary universes. Stellaris is still just $12 in the Humble Monthly deal if anyone wants to pick it up. So far I've mostly just played around with the empire creator (which is shockingly fun, even though I've never actually started a game with most of my creations).

Anyway, I know a few others here play the game, so if anyone is interested in livening up the forum by trading stories/builds/impressions, here's a place to do it.
How revealing are we getting? There are certain spoilers in the game that I don't want to ruin for you two.
Old May 25th 2017, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
How revealing are we getting? There are certain spoilers in the game that I don't want to ruin for you two.
As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a "spoiler".

When it comes to computer games I absolutely hate surprises.
Old May 26th 2017, 04:12 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Alright, how does one go about inserting images into posts?
Old May 26th 2017, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Alright, how does one go about inserting images into posts?
You can paste the url of the picture and enclose it with [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ].

You don't need the spaces. I just used them to get the code to show up.

Alternatively, you can click on the 'image' symbol in the post window. That gives you a window that you can type or paste the url of your picture. This will display the picture in the text.

Alternatively, you can click on the paper-clip symbol in the post window. That gives you a window that you can browse your computer for an upload. This will post the picture as an attachment.
Old May 26th 2017, 06:27 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You can paste the url of the picture and enclose it with [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ].

You don't need the spaces. I just used them to get the code to show up.

Alternatively, you can click on the 'image' symbol in the post window. That gives you a window that you can type or paste the url of your picture. This will display the picture in the text.

Alternatively, you can click on the paper-clip symbol in the post window. That gives you a window that you can browse your computer for an upload. This will post the picture as an attachment.
Ok, I promise a recounting of the history of the League of All-Worlds sometime soon
Old May 26th 2017, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Ok, I promise a recounting of the history of the League of All-Worlds sometime soon
Awesome.

I look forward to it.
Old May 27th 2017, 08:21 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

So here is the history of the League of All-Worlds: Chapter I - from United Nations to All-Worlds

The League began as the United Nations of earth. Human society had developed along fairly egalitarian lines, but also had become fanatically materialistic as the religious were left to their own enclaves (see figure 1). The failures of representative democracy through the early 21st century had led the UN to experiment with direct democracy. This experiment had proved successful and created a bureaucracy chosen by lot. Only the chancellor was elected.
figure 1.jpg
The United Nations had a fairly aggressive expansion policy, but has hampered in by numerous alien powers on either side. However, the reliance on wormhole technology allowed the UN to either jump to other arms or claim narrow passages in order to find new worlds. (see figure 2)
figure 2.jpg

While television had long held that idealistic space fairing races would restrain themselves from interfering with primitive races, the UN had no such policy. In fact, a major function of the UN science division was the aggressive study and, if possible, infiltration of alien cultures in order to get them to join the UN. Two such races became productive members of the United Nations: the Gox, a turtle-like reptilian race that was native to an arid world and the Vissari, an avian species that inhabited a mountainous world. (see figure 3 &4). The Gox were race that had developed a thriving trading culture by the time UN intervened and so, as they were integrated into the empire, became the bankers of the UN. The Vissari were strong and made ideal warriors and for a long time formed the center of the officer corp in the UN. Also, at this point the UN was heavily investing in robotics. and droids were making up a significant portion of the population the UN
figure 3.jpgfigure 4.jpg

Over time, the name "United Nations of Earth" became a problem because fully half of the empire was of a species from another world. As these debates were raging a discovery happened that would change the literal face of mankind. Through a long series of strange, almost religious, events it was discovered that humanity had been genetically altered to suit the needs of some ancient race. Our current physiology was the result of that tailoring. One scientist, driven quite insane by this revelation, created a retrovirus that would undo the genetic tailoring. Fortunately or unfortunately, the retrovirus was set loose on the entire human population and soon everyone across the United Nations had been fundamentally altered (see figure 5). Around this same time the UN began implanting cybernetic devices in all citizens. Lifespans were increased and the overall productivity of the population was increased several fold.
figure 5.jpg

end of chapter I
Old May 27th 2017, 08:52 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Chapter II: From Yondarim to Perfection

The retrovirus has one other side effect: it changed the psychology of a significant minority of the population to extreme militarists. This new faction was hell bent on incorporating all other species into the cybernetic democracy (by force if necessary). Securing control of the chancellorship in the next elections this faction renamed the United Nations into The League of All-Worlds.

For decades the UN, then the League, had been forced to keep a significant fleet on the border with the Kingdom of Yandarim. Yandarim was boxed in on all sides by more powerful neighbors so whenever the League fleet was otherwise occupied the High Priest-King of Yandarim would declare a holy war for the nearest league worlds. With a new party in power, the League decided to test it's new military and declared war. The war was swift and Yandarim was subdued and made a vassal of the League. (see figure 6)
figure 6.jpg

With Yandarim subdued, the League was ready for more conquest. However there was a problem. On all sides the League had neighbors that were her equal. Powerful Federations had formed that united many species. The League was strong enough to stay out of these arrangements and go it alone, however, not strong enough to destroy these Federations outright. At the head of one such federation was the Pious Zithorian Council. They were a pacifist bug-like race that horrified most of the league citizens. "Pacifist" was a relative term and they fleet power was equal to that of the League all on their own. The problem was that while the League occupied a huge portion of the galaxy, League space was comparatively sparse with habitable worlds. Zithorian space, while only occupying a relatively small portion of the galaxy, had more habitable worlds than the entire league put together. Combine this with the fact that the Council had formed a Federation (the Golden Axis) with all of the League's neighbors and a stalemate ensued. The League could not fight a war on all fronts and the Zithorian navy was too strong. So a huge galactic arms race was created with each side trying to overwhelm the other.

figure 7.jpg
Figure 7: Zithorian space.

figure 8.jpg
Figure 8: The Zithorians. For pacifists they sure do have a lot of guns.

Through this arms race the League of all worlds completed it's most impressive accomplishment: technological ascendancy. For decades League scientists had been researching and upgrading AI. It's droids went from simple robots to full-fledged sentient beings (called Synthetics). Eventually the Synthetics were given rights of citizens and even allowed to stand for elections. With the help of the Synths, the League discovered the technology to download their conscience into robotic form making the league citizens better in every possible way. Their leaders were immortal. The new Species was renamed "Mechanoids" and quickly the racial distinctions within the league were destroyed. Various species expressed either their admiration or the superstitious disgust with the new species.

figure 9.jpg
Figure 9: Earth after technological ascension. Depending on your perspective there is not a single living thing on it anymore