Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old May 24th 2016, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Random post VII: the randomness awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Got no time for politics. Getting close to the 200 hours mark in Stellaris
We'll expect another review once you hit 300 hours. You should have a slightly different perspective then.
Old May 24th 2016, 06:05 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Got no time for politics. Getting close to the 200 hours mark in Stellaris
Looking at their roadmap for the Clark, Asimov, and Heinlein updates is pretty exciting. I think they're moving in some promising directions. Somewhere around the end of the year is when I'll probably investigate its status again and see if there's a decent holiday sale where I could pick it up.

Assuming of course that (1) my little computer can handle it, and (2) I don't get distracted by Civ VI....
Old May 26th 2016, 03:08 PM
Official Forum Mascot

For a while I thought y'all were talking about No Man's Sky, which is apparently not out yet, and is absurd.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3876868?...ver-be-visited
Old May 27th 2016, 11:51 AM
Globetrotter

Gotta love development cycles these days. Apparently a patch for a beta for the 1.1 patch for the game is buggy and is causing CTD's which hadn't happened at all yet .

Meanwhile I have a Schrödinger planet. I've been experimenting with all sorts of conquests, i.e. vassalization, creating protectorates, straight forward annexations, liberating planets, and combinations thereof and I now have a planet which I simultaneously own and don't own. It counts as mine for some aspects, it doesn't for other and in one aspect it's even an enemy planet.

Lel.

Hard to blame anyone for holding out.

Still fun though.
Old May 27th 2016, 12:11 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Is the schrodinger nature a glitch or a well built aspect of the complexities of "owning" a planet?
Old May 28th 2016, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Gotta love development cycles these days. Apparently a patch for a beta for the 1.1 patch for the game is buggy and is causing CTD's which hadn't happened at all yet .

Meanwhile I have a Schrödinger planet. I've been experimenting with all sorts of conquests, i.e. vassalization, creating protectorates, straight forward annexations, liberating planets, and combinations thereof and I now have a planet which I simultaneously own and don't own. It counts as mine for some aspects, it doesn't for other and in one aspect it's even an enemy planet.

Lel.

Hard to blame anyone for holding out.

Still fun though.
That's the kind of thing that will eventually get ironed out I expect. Paradox does have a reputation for selling expansion pack/upgrades and that stuff can really alter the game mechanics compared to the original 'vanilla' release.

I'm definitely waiting it out. That worked well for me with CKII and Civ5 - I bought in only after those games had matured and stabilized a year or so after their original release.

Besides which, I refuse to play any space empire game without Romulan, Vulcan and Klingon empires out there. I'm sure the modders (or an expansion pack) will address that in due time.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 07:38 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Is the schrodinger nature a glitch or a well built aspect of the complexities of "owning" a planet?
No, it's a bug. I wish it were a part of complexity. We're only at the first patch and the dumbing down has already started. Fucking youth
Old Jun 1st 2016, 08:38 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
No, it's a bug. I wish it were a part of complexity. We're only at the first patch and the dumbing down has already started. Fucking youth
Don't blame me, I ain't even play video games.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
There has to be a happy medium. I agree that it is annoying when they 'dumb down' a game. But at the same time, I recognize that making games especially complex tends to kill the sales side of the game (and most of the 'fun'). Remember that games are out there for fun/entertainment purposes.

For example, the hard-core fanbase of SimCity convinced the game company to make the game much more complex and pretty much killed the franchise with SimCity4. I can't stand that game any more and will only play old SimCity3 (which is a pleasure to play, even so many years after it was released - I like games that are fun, not games that are more complex than my job).
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 07:28 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
There has to be a happy medium. I agree that it is annoying when they 'dumb down' a game. But at the same time, I recognize that making games especially complex tends to kill the sales side of the game (and most of the 'fun'). Remember that games are out there for fun/entertainment purposes.

For example, the hard-core fanbase of SimCity convinced the game company to make the game much more complex and pretty much killed the franchise with SimCity4. I can't stand that game any more and will only play old SimCity3 (which is a pleasure to play, even so many years after it was released - I like games that are fun, not games that are more complex than my job).
Something similar happened to the Master of Orion series. MOO2 was arguably one of the best space 4x games made (I still go back and play it occasionally), but the 3rd one was a disaster, in part because it became ridiculously complex and felt more like trying to balance a series of complicated spreadsheets than like playing a game.