Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 07:46 AM
Resident Historian

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Not me, still haven't gotten 'into' CKII. However, looking at that mod it's just amazing how much effort and skill some people put into such mods.
I've only just gotten "into" CKII (after lots of trying), so I won't be venturing into space any time soon. But I'm strongly drawn to the idea of a character-driven space-based strategy game.

I did finally manage to see my man become king of all Ireland. And, once I manage to murder a couple small children in Kent, his heir will inherit an entire duchy in England.

But I have grander (albeit less probably ambitions). In this game, as in most I suspect, William the Conqueror did indeed defeat Harold Godwinson and take over England. After playing with the character-finder a bit, I discovered that every last member of Harold's lineage (children, grandchildren, siblings, cousins, etc...) had died for one reason or another and the line was extinct EXCEPT for this one last surviving member, an old guy with no wife or children. And he has a strong, inheritable claim to all of England.

So he's in my court now and I'm plotting to eventually restore England to the Godwins...preferably under my leadership.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Anyone ever tried out Crisis of the Confederation? It's a substantial mod that basically creates "Crusader Kings 2 in Space", with a fairly massive overhaul of the mechanics to accommodate that and a custom science fiction back-story. It starts just as a massive interstellar republic begins to collapse and shatter (very Foundation-esque ala Isaac Asimov). It makes me think of a direction Stellaris could have taken but chose not to.
No, I haven't tried it or even heard of it before.

There is also a Game of Thrones mod as well, but that isn't surprising given the game mechanics. I haven't played it either.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I've only just gotten "into" CKII (after lots of trying), so I won't be venturing into space any time soon. But I'm strongly drawn to the idea of a character-driven space-based strategy game.

I did finally manage to see my man become king of all Ireland. And, once I manage to murder a couple small children in Kent, his heir will inherit an entire duchy in England.
It is remarkably difficult to acquire England from Ireland if the AngloSaxons are in control in England because of the damn elective kingship. Hereditary claims to an elective kingship mean absolutely zero in the game. And no English duke will ever vote for an Irishman - ever. As King of Ireland, I once controlled almost half of all English duchies but they still wouldn't elect me king no matter what.

Quote:
But I have grander (albeit less probably ambitions). In this game, as in most I suspect, William the Conqueror did indeed defeat Harold Godwinson and take over England. After playing with the character-finder a bit, I discovered that every last member of Harold's lineage (children, grandchildren, siblings, cousins, etc...) had died for one reason or another and the line was extinct EXCEPT for this one last surviving member, an old guy with no wife or children. And he has a strong, inheritable claim to all of England.

So he's in my court now and I'm plotting to eventually restore England to the Godwins...preferably under my leadership.
If the Normans do conquer England, it becomes a hereditary monarchy and thus a takeover is possible. That sounds like a fun challenge.

That being said, I've never/ever seen the Normans successfully take over England unless I was playing Duke William.