Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 27th 2012, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Random Post - Again

We just passed 10,000 unique visitors yesterday. For the 5th month in a row, we've had 10,000+ unique vistors to the forum. Just to put that into perspective, we had only about 10,000 unique visitors in total for all of 2009.

Likewise the number of page views per visitor is also been rising steadily (up to 19 per visit) as well as the average duration of each visit.

Forum traffic is highest between 7pm and 10pm and again between midnight and 3am. Traffic figures are highest from Monday to Thursday and tends to dip a bit on the weekends.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 08:37 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
We just passed 10,000 unique visitors yesterday. For the 5th month in a row, we've had 10,000+ unique vistors to the forum. Just to put that into perspective, we had only about 10,000 unique visitors in total for all of 2009.

Likewise the number of page views per visitor is also been rising steadily (up to 19 per visit) as well as the average duration of each visit.

Forum traffic is highest between 7pm and 10pm and again between midnight and 3am. Traffic figures are highest from Monday to Thursday and tends to dip a bit on the weekends.
Summer weekends have always (in my experience) been slow on forums I've followed. Nice weather, long days and outdoor pursuits aren't conducive to screen entertainment.

Out of curiosity, has your bandwidth cost increased in proportion to visitor traffic?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 08:26 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Summer weekends have always (in my experience) been slow on forums I've followed. Nice weather, long days and outdoor pursuits aren't conducive to screen entertainment.
Yes, very true.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, has your bandwidth cost increased in proportion to visitor traffic?
No because I use a commercial VPS (virtual private server). Visitor traffic can multiply by a factor of ten (again) and still will not stress our limits.

Basically, this forum is way over-powered on the server/bandwidth side.

Traffic would have to rise 50x or 100x present traffic, then it would start costing me additional money for bandwidth.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 07:54 PM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfAndI:

According to meteorologists Southern Oregon is getting a lot of smoke from sixty-seven fires burning near Lake Baikal and on the Kamchatka Peninsula on Russia's eastern coast.

At your earliest convenience, please have them extinguished before US nationalists begin blaming someone for outsourcing US forest fires and reducing US jobs.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 09:13 PM
Globetrotter

Man Accused of Smuggling Meth as Snickers Bars

Legislated morality does invite inventiveness. Right down to bar codes. For those outside the US, meth is illegal methamphetamine and Snickers Bars are one of the top selling US candy bars.

Source
Old Jul 31st 2012, 09:49 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Way to go Jan Brewer

Old Jul 31st 2012, 07:32 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I take it you're not considering relocation to Arizona.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I take it you're not considering relocation to Arizona.
From what I read about the place, I can't imagine anyone but some old retired people moving there (because they just don't care about the future they will never see).
Old Jul 31st 2012, 09:45 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
From what I read about the place, I can't imagine anyone but some old retired people moving there (because they just don't care about the future they will never see).
Population centers (2) are in the middle of deserts. Colorado River water rights made AZ and will continue to maintain its economy/growth. Cheap labor from AZ's immigration proximity to Mexico, which it now considers a major problem since non/low-skilled labor is no longer in demand, has become a political focus for dominant political conservatives. That same demographic inevitably dominates social culture and one shouldn't be surprised at AZ's stance on abortion. Seeing people on the streets with open carry guns is not unusual.

Great place to retire if one is waspish, prefers/needs extreme desert heat (a majority of older people prone to arthritis and other degenerative diseases who can afford it seek hot, low humidity places). Significant travel, high tech support and military presence, obviously not a haven for social progressives.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:48 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
The first comment below the article nails it pretty good.
Closed Thread