Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 6th 2012, 09:57 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Cantaloupe, my favorite melon, is in season! The farmers market we patronize is already loaded with delicious, organic summer goods and the prepared food vendors make for a great lunch while shopping. Does anyone else shop at a farmers market?
oh man i hate cantaloupe. I prefer water melon.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 09:57 PM
Globetrotter

I just finished installing Diablo 3. Finally I will have the chance to play it.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I try and be mum around overweight people. They inevitably have some lame rationalization for their voracious appetites and lack of regular exercise. I used to question the medical excuses but they seldom had any any answers but ongoing conditions. They do truly resent any suggestion of changing doctors.
Just yesterday on the elevator in my building a [fat] old lady got on the elevator with me and she made some small talk about the weather (about how horrible the heat was). I commented that I kinda like the heat and humidy. She immediately said "that's because you are skinny".

I found that funny. Apparently being slim/fit is defined as "skinny". For the record, I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs - with a BMI is the "ideal-normal" zone.

But just confirmation of my point that liking/hating humidity seems to have a lot to do with having excess bodyfat.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Judge Richard Posner was appointed to the bench by former President Ronald Reagan, and has earned a sparkling reputation as a conservative jurist. But Posner, a judge on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, says the current incarnation of the Republican Party has driven him away from conservatism.

In a candid interview with NPR Thursday, Posner opened up about what he sees as a “real deterioration in conservative thinking” over the last decade.

“I’ve become less conservative since the Republican Party started becoming goofy,” Posner said.
Source

Judge Richard Posner [was] probably the single most respected conservative sitting jurist in America. He's about to get ripped to shit by the rightwing conservative attack machine for speaking the truth.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:54 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Why America isn't the best country in the world

From the show "The Newsroom." Only two episodes of this show, the third airs tonight. TDGuy and I are hooked.

Last edited by The Drunk Girl; Jul 8th 2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Error in copying link
Old Jul 8th 2012, 11:13 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm sure there are people who don't like the humidity who are not fat. My point is that anyone who is 30 lbs+ overweight gets into non-stop moaning, groaning and whinging about the heat (as if a heat wave is a special torture sent to make them suffer).

And they always say things like "I don't know how anyone can stand this heat" or "anyone without airconditioning is an idiot" or "airconditioning should be mandatory everywhere" and all kinds of stupid things like that. When I say that I actually enjoy the hot weather, they feel free to say that I'm insane. But if I point out the problem is not the heat but the fact that they are obesely fat, that's apparently off limits.
People skinny or fat here in Kentucky have been complaining for roughly a month about the weather. We have been averaging temperatures in the high-90s to mid-100s. Yesterday with the heat index it was 110 (TDGuy helped his sister move btw). We have had rain twice, but it wasn't enough to cool anything down.

The air-conditioning at work in one of the back halls started leaking (I got the luxury of using the shop-vac every twenty minutes to clean up the mess). That really was a bitch considering the residents stay cold 24/7 and blast their heat in their rooms. Our apartment air-conditioning froze up too.

Quote:
I try and be mum around overweight people. They inevitably have some lame rationalization for their voracious appetites and lack of regular exercise. I used to question the medical excuses but they seldom had any any answers but ongoing conditions. They do truly resent any suggestion of changing doctors.
Some medical "excuses" are legit. Thyroid disorders being one of those, and there is no need to change doctors when the blood work tells it all. Exercise can help, but there is only so much a person can do when the body doesn't want to cooperate. The human body is very complicated, which I am sure you know. One imbalance within the body can cause a number of complications and effects.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:40 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
I just finished installing Diablo 3. Finally I will have the chance to play it.
Nice... I've been playing that since the day it came out, though that isn't a whole lot of hours since I don't have a whole lot of time. If you want, look for me as mrgoodtrips on there (at least depending on which server you play). I can probably set you up with a whole bunch of low level gear if you're on the same server as me.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 09:45 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
People skinny or fat here in Kentucky have been complaining for roughly a month about the weather. We have been averaging temperatures in the high-90s to mid-100s. Yesterday with the heat index it was 110 (TDGuy helped his sister move btw). We have had rain twice, but it wasn't enough to cool anything down.

The air-conditioning at work in one of the back halls started leaking (I got the luxury of using the shop-vac every twenty minutes to clean up the mess). That really was a bitch considering the residents stay cold 24/7 and blast their heat in their rooms. Our apartment air-conditioning froze up too.

Some medical "excuses" are legit. Thyroid disorders being one of those, and there is no need to change doctors when the blood work tells it all. Exercise can help, but there is only so much a person can do when the body doesn't want to cooperate. The human body is very complicated, which I am sure you know. One imbalance within the body can cause a number of complications and effects.
Thyroid conditions such as hypothyroidism are in most cases no excuse for carrying excess weight. Exercise programs and special diets that successfully take the weight off and keep it off in conjunction with the proper dose of synthetic/natural thyroid hormones have been around for decades. While there are always exceptions the majority of thyroid conditions contributing to weight gain are controllable if, and therein lies the major problem, the patient is capable of adhering to ongoing personal regimentation.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:31 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Why America isn't the best country in the world

From the show "The Newsroom." Only two episodes of this show, the third airs tonight. TDGuy and I are hooked.

Fuckin A right.

It's too bad that people who say stuff like that are branded as unpatriotic and pushed immediately to the sidelines.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 09:25 PM
Globetrotter

I think it's hilarious:

US Olympics uniforms made in China

Check the prices. Probably would have been double that with US labor costs.