Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:04 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Default Re: Random Post - Again

We just got back from a local renaissance/pagan festival. I emphasis the word 'local' because five years ago this would have been unheard of. Despite the meagre gathering of 50 or so attendees at a gorgeous retreat area in the foothills of the Cape Breton Highlands, it was a lot of fun and still going on. The farm responsibilities at home kept us from staying the whole time. There were armourers, archery, axe-throwing, a blacksmith with a portable forge making small items, a bardic competition, sword-fighting for the testosterone laden youth, free local real ale (from grain grown here), free local highland beef, mead for sale. For its first year, it was well-done and I hope to see it grow. I was also pleased to see that at least 3/4 of the attendees were garbed in period costume. I am spoiled in this regard as my wife is a seamstress and hand-makes all of our costumes to custom fit. I dare say we were the best dressed family there. We even had some Mormons attending because they were in Cape Breton for their honey-moon. Adorable young couple. All in all, a very good time.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
We just got back from a local renaissance/pagan festival. I emphasis the word 'local' because five years ago this would have been unheard of. Despite the meagre gathering of 50 or so attendees at a gorgeous retreat area in the foothills of the Cape Breton Highlands, it was a lot of fun and still going on. The farm responsibilities at home kept us from staying the whole time. There were armourers, archery, axe-throwing, a blacksmith with a portable forge making small items, a bardic competition, sword-fighting for the testosterone laden youth, free local real ale (from grain grown here), free local highland beef, mead for sale. For its first year, it was well-done and I hope to see it grow. I was also pleased to see that at least 3/4 of the attendees were garbed in period costume. I am spoiled in this regard as my wife is a seamstress and hand-makes all of our costumes to custom fit. I dare say we were the best dressed family there. We even had some Mormons attending because they were in Cape Breton for their honey-moon. Adorable young couple. All in all, a very good time.
Sounds interesting. That's a relatively high turnout - what almost 1% of the population?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Now I have seen everything.

A Pizza-Pizza delivery car just drove up to the cottage next to ours and delivered pizza.

This is a family with a couple of kids and we haven't seen them outside yet. They must be bunkered inside watching tv.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 08:48 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Now I have seen everything.

A Pizza-Pizza delivery car just drove up to the cottage next to ours and delivered pizza.

This is a family with a couple of kids and we haven't seen them outside yet. They must be bunkered inside watching tv.
I've always wondered why some people take holidays away from home when all they do is attempt replicating their normal routines right down to food habits. Hopefully their TV access remains constant and you're not subjected to suddenly bored, visiting neighbors with (shudder) children.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Speaking of food on vacation, we packed some fine quality sliced deli-meats for lunchtime sandwiches.

We finally got around to doing a direct competition between traditional corned beef, NY-style pastrami and Montreal smoked meat, which are all rather similar products (beef brisket).

It was pretty easy to agree that corned beef was definitely the least best - no question about that. But the competition between pastrami and montreal smoked meat was very close - too close to call. Heck, I think its rather difficult to tell the difference between them once they are in a sandwich with a bit of mustard on them.

Anyway, I can't understand how corned beef sandwiches got so popular or famous - corned beef sucks compared to pastrami or Montreal smoked meat.

(In case anyone is curious, the best deli-ham would have to be Tuscany-style, not Black Forest! And deli-sliced roast beef usually isn't worth buying at all - usually way over-cooked and very salty)
Old Aug 12th 2012, 01:13 PM
Globetrotter

I want to see the other 3 episodes in true blood season 5. too bad, I am now watching the series at the same time as in america, which means that i have to wait every week now for a new episode to get it.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 07:57 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Speaking of food on vacation, we packed some fine quality sliced deli-meats for lunchtime sandwiches.

We finally got around to doing a direct competition between traditional corned beef, NY-style pastrami and Montreal smoked meat, which are all rather similar products (beef brisket).

It was pretty easy to agree that corned beef was definitely the least best - no question about that. But the competition between pastrami and montreal smoked meat was very close - too close to call. Heck, I think its rather difficult to tell the difference between them once they are in a sandwich with a bit of mustard on them.

Anyway, I can't understand how corned beef sandwiches got so popular or famous - corned beef sucks compared to pastrami or Montreal smoked meat.

(In case anyone is curious, the best deli-ham would have to be Tuscany-style, not Black Forest! And deli-sliced roast beef usually isn't worth buying at all - usually way over-cooked and very salty)
Love pastrami, pass on most corned beef. I'm just not a big fan of brisket and prefer the flavor of pastrami as its smoked versus non-smoked corned beef. Deli roast beef, yuck.

Like many other precooked foods there are so many regional and processing differences in pastrami that determining what's best becomes a matter of personal taste. Some of the commercial pastrami distributed throughout the US is pastrami in name only.

It's generally agreed the navel cut is far superior to brisket cut and must be steam finished (NYC and other fine deli tradition) rather than smoked finished, sliced very thin and served on rye bread with or without mustard.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 07:28 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

I probably will not around much for the next few weeks. I just moved and started my pastoral internship. Things are crazy...
Old Aug 13th 2012, 07:49 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
I probably will not around much for the next few weeks. I just moved and started my pastoral internship. Things are crazy...
You have to be excited. Best wishes for a successful internship.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Congrats and best of luck.

Time to crack that Lutheran whip!