Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 17th 2012, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Cool Random Post - Again

We have retired yet another Random Post thread.

Welcome to the new Random Post thread.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 08:44 AM
Resident Historian

Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
We have retired yet another Random Post thread.

Welcome to the new Random Post thread.
The Random Post thread is dead....Long live the Random Post thread!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 09:24 AM
Globetrotter

Friends went to see Men in Black 3 - $14.50 a ticket. They thought it sucked and decided, at those prices, parking inconvenience, a youthful, noisy crowd (they're mid-40s), with a large flat screen/surround sound at home, it just might be their last trip to a movie theater.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 09:51 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Friends went to see Men in Black 3 - $14.50 a ticket. They thought it sucked and decided, at those prices, parking inconvenience, a youthful, noisy crowd (they're mid-40s), with a large flat screen/surround sound at home, it just might be their last trip to a movie theater.
Was having a discussion on g+ about this very topic.

Hollywood complains because ticket sales are down. They say it's because of piracy. While there certainly is piracy, I suspect that the reason that ticket sales are down is that the movie-going experience isn't great, and that the movies themselves generally suck. They keep releasing the same movie over and over and over again (do we really need yet another Spider Man?), and are scraping the bottom of the barrel so badly that we end up with movies like Battleship.

Give me a movie worth watching, and environment worth watching it in, and I'll pay $20 to go. Until then, I'll pass.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 01:49 PM
This wine needs more whisky

TDGuy and I were trying to think of the last movie we saw in the theatre. We weren't for sure but I think it was the first installment of the last Harry Potter movies.

I can handle the ticket prices, but it's the concessions inside that get me. $15 for a couple of sodas and a popcorn. Between the tickets and snacks you have at least spent $50. Add dinner for a date night and you're right at $100.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 01:52 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Speaking of movies...we have been ordering movies off of VuDu. The high definition is great and the prices are the same as going and renting a flick.

I'm really amazed at the options one has (with the right software) to stream television and movies these days. In my opinion, cable is on it's last leg
Old Jun 17th 2012, 08:09 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Speaking of movies...we have been ordering movies off of VuDu. The high definition is great and the prices are the same as going and renting a flick.

I'm really amazed at the options one has (with the right software) to stream television and movies these days. In my opinion, cable is on it's last leg
I don't know about cable, its not offered where I live, but satellite TV has grown stronger with its packaging of visual/sound entertainment, DSL and mobile communication services. People do like convenience. When you put satellite TV programming, including its cheap [$3-4] new release movies and music programming together with top cell phone providers and DSL reduced subscription rates it becomes a bargain versus separate subscriptions.

Regarding movie theaters, I no longer care for the inconvenience. Not when I can relax on a comfortable piece of furniture or in bed and watch the same product on an HD big screen with comparable sound. No snack bar can compare with what can come out of our kitchen and, most important, ......I can have a beer whenever I want it!!!!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 08:56 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Grillin'. My own Caribbean jerk rub on drumsticks with some veggies.

Last edited by The Drunk Guy; Jun 17th 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:28 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
Grillin'. My own Caribbean jerk rub on drumsticks with some veggies.

You need me to send you some of our free-range rooster drumsticks! You might fit five or six where you have 12 or 13 in the pic. Our largest dressed bird last year was 5.78 lbs., bones in. I like the charcoal though. Mind you, I have to wait 4 mos. for a bird that size instead of the 8 wks. that commercial growers can count on.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:01 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
You need me to send you some of our free-range rooster drumsticks! You might fit five or six where you have 12 or 13 in the pic. Our largest dressed bird last year was 5.78 lbs., bones in. I like the charcoal though. Mind you, I have to wait 4 mos. for a bird that size instead of the 8 wks. that commercial growers can count on.
/faints
Closed Thread