Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:35 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: More Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
We have some water, depending on where you are. Here in CO, we conserve our water so we can ship it to Las Vegas and Southern California, so that they can have their swimming pools and lawns.
While living in Las Vegas I had a close look at the 1930s Colorado River water sharing agreement. When it comes to water, Colorado did get the short end of the stick. Arizona actually came out best. Mexico was truly fucked over.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:40 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
While living in Las Vegas I had a close look at the 1930s Colorado River water sharing agreement. When it comes to water, Colorado did get the short end of the stick. Arizona actually came out best. Mexico was truly fucked over.
Mexico did get fucked.

AZ and CA may find themselves in a bit of trouble, though, if CO actually holds to the agreement (we haven't been). There's been some rumbling about doing so.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:51 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Mexico did get fucked.

AZ and CA may find themselves in a bit of trouble, though, if CO actually holds to the agreement (we haven't been). There's been some rumbling about doing so.
Probably too much existing usage precedence to do anything about it but it would get the lawyers and politicians excited. That's years, perhaps decades of juicy fees and political deals.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:37 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
US insurers pretty much ended the natural cleansing effect of SW forest fires (95% caused by lightening) due to population growth and the timber industry. Federal/state/county entities have amassed an enormous forest fire fighting apparatus by extending lucrative contracts to politically connected private entities. It's a year-around industry as the private entities clear brush in the off-fire season with government funding and legislated ordinances.

It has become so expensive to government that financially crippled California is in the process of legislating a fire insurance pool for private landholders in fire-prone forested areas to pay for fighting forest fires.
That's one good advantage of a really, really big country with way more miles of trees than people.

US problem is permitting too much settlement/development/density in the wrong geographical places. Canada is blessed with ginormous tracts of land with close to zero settlement.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:42 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Mexico did get fucked.

Quote:
Probably too much existing usage precedence to do anything about it but it would get the lawyers and politicians excited. That's years, perhaps decades of juicy fees and political deals.
So true, so true.

It really freaks me out to find out that between Canada and Finland, we have a ludicrous percentage of the world's freshwater supply. USA has very little actually.

That's one reason us Canadians can afford to be a little smug - we've got huge reserves of oil, natural gas, land and freshwater. These are very valuable commodities in the 21st century.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 04:41 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
I don't recall reading of any disastrous forest fires in your area.

In Western US forested areas most states/counties/cities have ordinances regarding wildfire danger points on occupied property. If an owner doesn't clear accumulated dead vegetation off the property prior to fire season a citation with a 3-day notice is issued. If the citation is ignored the prevailing jurisdiction sends a crew in to do it and bills the land owner. Another one is all non-irrigated grass within 50' of a public roadway must be trimmed to a 2" height before fire season.
Yeah, I couldn't bear that. We have nothing but water here. 2' down in some spots on my property.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 02:14 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Sorry I have been around lately. Winter gave us an early spanking Wednesday night into Thursday most of the day. All told I had about 18" of accumulated snow, our firewood supplier (idiot) just showed up three days before and I broke two bolts on my drive axle on the snow blower. Oh yeah, and I forgot to stock up on feed for the animals and was clean out of a few things. I don't normally let stuff get to that point but the timing sucked. I did get to miss work on Thursday though because the road hadn't been ploughed yet. We've had a significant melt though and everything is getting back to a state of preparing for winter. I even lost a hen in the snow on Wednesday night and she just emerged this morning, seemingly unscathed! She must have just dug in and made a little chicken igloo around herself I am a fortunate man.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 03:05 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Whew. Pre-Magyar Bal football today. About 58 and beautifully sunny.

A nice change up from last year when it was about four degrees.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Sorry I have been around lately.

No apologies needed for showing up - you are always welcome at the forum 7/24/365.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Winter gave us an early spanking Wednesday night into Thursday most of the day. All told I had about 18" of accumulated snow, our firewood supplier (idiot) just showed up three days before and I broke two bolts on my drive axle on the snow blower. Oh yeah, and I forgot to stock up on feed for the animals and was clean out of a few things. I don't normally let stuff get to that point but the timing sucked. I did get to miss work on Thursday though because the road hadn't been ploughed yet. We've had a significant melt though and everything is getting back to a state of preparing for winter. I even lost a hen in the snow on Wednesday night and she just emerged this morning, seemingly unscathed! She must have just dug in and made a little chicken igloo around herself I am a fortunate man.
Wow!

Looks like old man winter caught you with your pants down.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Whew. Pre-Magyar Bal football today. About 58 and beautifully sunny.

A nice change up from last year when it was about four degrees.
Once again, our weather patterns are identical - high fifties today with lots of sunshine. Pretty much the same as yesterday.