Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Society, Media & Culture

Society, Media & Culture Sociology, lifestyles, psychology, paranormal, media studies and all things cultural.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old Nov 7th 2014, 10:08 AM
dilettante's Avatar
dilettante dilettante is offline
Moderator
Resident Historian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,076
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Look again. I said "ethically-challenged."
Oh, so you did. My bad. I thought it was an odd term.
__________________
kyrie eleison
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Mar 1st 2015, 03:18 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Betraying your country is a act of "courage" now?

I will never understand the West... We Russians kill our traitors, usually in a slow, torturous manner, like Litvinenko

and you Americans... what? Revere them???
Is there a chance that the evil people who killed Litvinienko will one day be brought to justice?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Mar 7th 2015, 06:42 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,003
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Here's some news about Edward Snowden:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0M21KO20150306

For what it's worth, I'll nominate Reuters for the best single source for world news, among others including The Guardian, Le Monde, Russia Today, and Al Jazeera.

Imho, the Associated Press maintains its special relationship with the Pentagon, US State Dept., and Treasury Dept. by spouting any bullshit press release quoting "unnamed sources" that it is handed, and isn't in the same ballpark with these other sources.

Does anyone else have a favorite source that they'd recommend?
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Mar 20th 2015, 07:23 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,003
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Fear tactics in Canada:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...072823161.html
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:46 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,779
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
The only fear in Canada is that of Stephen Harper and his tories losing the next election. His actions appear to be getting desperate.

In other words, when the strategy fails, try yelling/cheering louder!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Dec 28th 2015, 05:29 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,003
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Neoconservative propaganda debunked by Eric Margolis, the best source of actual information next to Edward Snowden:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/12/...ssians-coming/
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Dec 28th 2015, 11:09 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,779
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Neoconservative propaganda debunked by Eric Margolis, the best source of actual information next to Edward Snowden:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/12/...ssians-coming/
I'm old enough to remember when Eric Margolis was a super-hawk who spent most of the 1980's worshipping Ronald Reagan & Maggie Thatcher and issuing breathless warnings about how the evil and all-powerful USSR war machine was poised to attack NATO and take over the world unless we massively increased our defense spending. He kept saying this right up until Soviet union collapsed. Turned out the Soviet military was about 1/4 the size that Margolis and other US warhawks had believed it to be and USSR was in no condition to attack anyone.

He was categorically wrong about just about everything he said/wrote back then. Just sayin'.

As for the topic of address, it doesn't take an expert to discern that Russia isn't trying to bait the USA/NATO into a military conflict right now.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Dec 28th 2015, 02:47 PM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,003
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm old enough to remember when Eric Margolis was a super-hawk who spent most of the 1980's worshipping Ronald Reagan & Maggie Thatcher and issuing breathless warnings about how the evil and all-powerful USSR war machine was poised to attack NATO and take over the world unless we massively increased our defense spending. He kept saying this right up until Soviet union collapsed. Turned out the Soviet military was about 1/4 the size that Margolis and other US warhawks had believed it to be and USSR was in no condition to attack anyone.

He was categorically wrong about just about everything he said/wrote back then. Just sayin'.

As for the topic of address, it doesn't take an expert to discern that Russia isn't trying to bait the USA/NATO into a military conflict right now.
I was a war hawk back during 'Nam when I joined the Navy as my father had during WW II. He talked me out of joining the Marines. I felt I was made a fool of and betrayed by the powers-that-be that trumped up that evil war that killed millions of Vietnamese and 55,000 American boys.

Maybe Margolis feels betrayed, too, which can make you more pissed off and adamant than if you never swallowed the BS in the first place.
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center

Last edited by Tom Palven; Dec 28th 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Dec 29th 2015, 05:59 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,779
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
I was a war hawk back during 'Nam when I joined the Navy as my father had during WW II. He talked me out of joining the Marines. I felt I was made a fool of and betrayed by the powers-that-be that trumped up that evil war that killed millions of Vietnamese and 55,000 American boys.

Maybe Margolis feels betrayed, too, which can make you more pissed off and adamant than if you never swallowed the BS in the first place.
That's entirely possible. He does seem to be the opposite of what he used to be back 20-30 years ago and that is an improvement. I do recall that Margolis was the least obnoxious and seemingly the most intelligent of all the media warhawks back then (and the media is always full of warhawks).
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jan 8th 2016, 05:08 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,003
Default Re: Monument to Courage is Planned

Snowden speaks in Las Vegas:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...echnology-beam
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com