Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Economics

Economics The economy, taxes, Federal Reserve, Central Banks, inflation, interest rates, unemployment, stock markets, currency, GDP, NAFTA, IMF, WTO, GATT, etc.

Old Sep 1st 2009, 04:51 PM
Citizen

Default Re: Cash For Clunkers

South Park is about the only thing on tv that makes sense sometimes. I'm ready for some new episodes.

This clip makes me want to laugh and be frustrated at its accuracy at the same time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_179748.html

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design. - F.A. Hayek
Old Sep 1st 2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphelan View Post
South Park is about the only thing on tv that makes sense sometimes. I'm ready for some new episodes.

This clip makes me want to laugh and be frustrated at its accuracy at the same time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_179748.html
Brilliantly funny clip.

Odd given that the politics of South Park are normally quite rightwing, but I suppose being freaked out by the wholesale bailing out of Wall Street billionaires is a truly bipartisan enterprise.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:52 AM
Official Forum Geek

I get the sense that the creators are more of the libertarian bent than rightwing. I also find it sort of curious, given the often offensive nature of the show, what a concerted effort they make to appear equally critical of liberals and conservatives. It should probably just come off as a desire to satirize everyone, but instead something about it rings to me that they're striving to be labelled a-political.

I contrast this with, say, John Stewart, who satirizes everyone but without bothering to try to appear as if he's completely neutral in terms of politics.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
I get the sense that the creators are more of the libertarian bent than rightwing.
Agreed.

But I'd also add that there's no difference in the US context. There is no substantial political distinction between "US libertarianism" and "US rightwingers". They both are hardcore partisan Republican voters. Ergo, they are both "rightwing", plain and simple. They may theoretically disagree about big government and substituting the Bible for the Constitution, but that's just theoretical - they both end up voting for big government Republicans every time, so the distinction is entirely academic in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
I also find it sort of curious, given the often offensive nature of the show, what a concerted effort they make to appear equally critical of liberals and conservatives. It should probably just come off as a desire to satirize everyone, but instead something about it rings to me that they're striving to be labelled a-political.

I contrast this with, say, John Stewart, who satirizes everyone but without bothering to try to appear as if he's completely neutral in terms of politics.
Nothing surprising there. Only those with an overt partisan agenda generally feel the need to hide the agenda or deny their political interest. The care they take in this usually reveals the seriousness of the political interest.

Jon Stewart doesn't have much of an overt partisan agenda, ergo, he's an equal opportunity satirist and attacks anything worthy of attack.