Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Oct 19th 2017, 06:56 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,753
Default US Politics

Although I still follow US politics as much as I have always done, I just can't bear to post anything or make any comments. What can one say about it?

Observing US politics these days is like watching a slow motion train wreck. You know it is a disaster and people are going to get hurt, but it is just so amazing to watch it happen. The level of petty rivalries, monstrous egos, abject incompetence and outright evil on display is a wonder to behold.

There just isn't anything to discuss. It is just a horror show and a huge embarrassment. Indeed, I'm embarrassed for the United States.

This is very different than the old GW Bush days. Back then, we had lots of petty rivalries, monstrous egos and outright evil, and their competence was definitely questionable, but no where near the utter cluelessness that is on daily display these days. Back in the Bush days, one could actually argue about whether or not invading Iraq was a good idea, or about the merits of a a trillion dollar deficit-financed tax cut. But nowadays, what is there to discuss? I suppose the only issue worthy of comment these days is whether or not Trump is just a fucking ignorant idiot or suffering dementia?
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Oct 20th 2017, 09:49 PM
dilettante's Avatar
dilettante dilettante is offline
Moderator
Resident Historian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,073
Default Re: US Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Although I still follow US politics as much as I have always done, I just can't bear to post anything or make any comments. What can one say about it?

Observing US politics these days is like watching a slow motion train wreck. You know it is a disaster and people are going to get hurt, but it is just so amazing to watch it happen. The level of petty rivalries, monstrous egos, abject incompetence and outright evil on display is a wonder to behold.

There just isn't anything to discuss. It is just a horror show and a huge embarrassment. Indeed, I'm embarrassed for the United States.

This is very different than the old GW Bush days. Back then, we had lots of petty rivalries, monstrous egos and outright evil, and their competence was definitely questionable, but no where near the utter cluelessness that is on daily display these days. Back in the Bush days, one could actually argue about whether or not invading Iraq was a good idea, or about the merits of a a trillion dollar deficit-financed tax cut. But nowadays, what is there to discuss? I suppose the only issue worthy of comment these days is whether or not Trump is just a fucking ignorant idiot or suffering dementia?
That pretty much sums it up.
__________________
kyrie eleison
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:11 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,977
Default Re: US Politics

The James Clapper who is the in the press right now blasting Trump's rapport with Putin is the same friggin' James Clapper who told a bald-faced lie to the US Senate under oath and suffered no consequences. Top secret documents exposing Clapper were released by Edward Snowden and published by The Guardian in June of 2013.

This from Wikipedia:
Testimony to Congress on NSA surveillance programs, 2013

Excerpt of James Clapper’s testimony before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
On March 12, 2013, during a United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence hearing, Senator Ron Wyden quoted NSA director Keith B. Alexander’s keynote speech at the 2012 DEF CON. Alexander had stated that “Our job is foreign intelligence” and that “those who would want to weave the story that we have millions or hundreds of millions of dossiers on people, is absolutely false.... From my perspective, this is absolute nonsense.” Wyden then asked Clapper, “Does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?” He responded, “No, sir.” Wyden asked “It does not?” and Clapper said, “Not wittingly. There are cases where they could inadvertently, perhaps, collect, but not wittingly.”[31]
When Edward Snowden was asked during his January 26, 2014, TV interview in Moscow what the decisive moment was or why he blew the whistle, he replied: “Sort of the breaking point was seeing the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, directly lie under oath to Congress. ... Seeing that really meant for me there was no going back.”[32
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 13th 2017, 03:15 PM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,977
Default Re: US Politics

I should have mentioned that James Clapper was Director of US Intelligence, the head of all the secret police, when he lied under oath to Congress.

Both he and former CIA Director, who are about as deep state as you can get, are now bashing Trump.

Trump had said that he couldn't release the rest of the Kennedy murder documents as required by law because the CIA gave him "no choice." Now he has referred to Clapper and Brennan as "political hacks," which may indicate that he has more guts than brains.
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 13th 2017, 07:00 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,753
Default Re: US Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
I should have mentioned that James Clapper was Director of US Intelligence, the head of all the secret police, when he lied under oath to Congress.

Both he and former CIA Director, who are about as deep state as you can get, are now bashing Trump.

Trump had said that he couldn't release the rest of the Kennedy murder documents as required by law because the CIA gave him "no choice." Now he has referred to Clapper and Brennan as "political hacks," which may indicate that he has more guts than brains.
Brennan a hack? I don't disagree, but isn't he Trump's own hack?
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:06 PM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,977
Default Re: US Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Brennan a hack? I don't disagree, but isn't he Trump's own hack?
I meant John Brennan, but accidentally omitted the name.

As the Wiki article link below states, Brennan was a CIA officer for 25 years, then director of the Terrorist Threat Integration Center under Bush, where he argued for rendering terrorist suspects to other countries for torture, and then Obama appointed him CIA Director in 2013.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_O._Brennan
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:05 PM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,977
Default Re: US Politics

Why is CNN, the Associated Press, and other mainstream US media still treating James clapper as an expert celebrity witness when Snowden proved that he lied under oath to the US Senate as described in the Wikipedia link above, and we have no reason to believe a single thing that he says?
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...poulos-2017-11
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center

Last edited by Tom Palven; Nov 16th 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 16th 2017, 07:06 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,753
Default Re: US Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Why is CNN, the Associated Press, and other mainstream US media still treating James clapper as an expert celebrity witness when Snowden proved that he lied under oath to the US Senate as described in the Wikipedia link above, and we have no reason to believe a single thing that he says?
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...poulos-2017-11
Because those same media organizations take their cues from the US Government that considers Snowden a criminal.

Besides, the US media have an equally long history of propping up blatant liars and charlatans - but only if they serve the interests of US rightwing/warmongers/torture-lovers.

As I've said many times, the mass media serves the interests of the rulers against the interest of the ruled. That's the way it has been for a very long time.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com