Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old Jun 30th 2018, 10:43 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I don't know what you mean by that.
Some background... in 1986 Italy won the World Cup. Toronto has a massive Italian community and they celebrated the victory with several spontaneous street parties, and lots of cars filled with people driving around waving Italian flags.

Well, Toronto has fairly large immigrant communities from just about every country on the globe and they all seem to be desperate to copy the Italian 1986 event. The desperation to parade their ethnic nationalism is obvious. So when World Cup begins, we get thousands of cars driving around waving flags and honking their horns on a daily basis and trying to block street traffic to create a street party after every fucking game (even though the number of supporters/fans engaged is way too small to achieve this). Most of these immigrant communities don't have the large number or mass support that countries like Italy have here (Italy, England and Germany are by far the largest community fan/groups for World Cup here).

And this year, the Portuguese and Croatians seem to be the most obnoxious about it, hence my desire to see these teams eliminated, though my friend insists that the Uruguay fans are worse. It all seems to be just an orgy of ethnic nationalism and it isn't pretty.

Btw, it seems that the fans of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England and Germany don't do the obnoxious 'hooliganism' thing and await final victory before trying to do the traffic-blocking street party thing. Not so with the smaller countries who try to do it after every game and are the obnoxious ones.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jun 30th 2018, 12:32 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Some background... in 1986 Italy won the World Cup. Toronto has a massive Italian community and they celebrated the victory with several spontaneous street parties, and lots of cars filled with people driving around waving Italian flags.

Well, Toronto has fairly large immigrant communities from just about every country on the globe and they all seem to be desperate to copy the Italian 1986 event. The desperation to parade their ethnic nationalism is obvious. So when World Cup begins, we get thousands of cars driving around waving flags and honking their horns on a daily basis and trying to block street traffic to create a street party after every fucking game (even though the number of supporters/fans engaged is way too small to achieve this). Most of these immigrant communities don't have the large number or mass support that countries like Italy have here (Italy, England and Germany are by far the largest community fan/groups for World Cup here).

And this year, the Portuguese and Croatians seem to be the most obnoxious about it, hence my desire to see these teams eliminated, though my friend insists that the Uruguay fans are worse. It all seems to be just an orgy of ethnic nationalism and it isn't pretty.

Btw, it seems that the fans of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England and Germany don't do the obnoxious 'hooliganism' thing and await final victory before trying to do the traffic-blocking street party thing. Not so with the smaller countries who try to do it after every game and are the obnoxious ones.
Thank you. But could you please go into more detail about what the Croatian and Portuguese fans have done which you resent?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jul 5th 2018, 03:49 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

England have reached the quarter-final. This is their best competition achievement in any competition since 2006. They reached a(!) quarter-final in 2012 too, but that was the Euro quarter-final, which, while honorable, isn't as prestigious as a World Cup quarter-final. Gareth Southgate is the coach and he deserves great praise for having lifted England out of the doldrums! Well done, Gareth Southgate! Also, Harry Kane, has been a magnificent forward. Well done to him!
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jul 6th 2018, 05:39 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Frace v Belgium in one of the semi-finals. Will it be Victor Hugo or Georges Simenon?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jul 6th 2018, 07:08 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

I've got my money on France to win it all.

Though, I will cheer for Belgium for Dominick!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Jul 7th 2018, 02:48 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I've got my money on France to win it all.

Though, I will cheer for Belgium for Dominick!
May I ask when you made the bet? Before the World Cup started?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Jul 9th 2018, 05:38 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
May I ask when you made the bet? Before the World Cup started?
No, at the quarter-final stage with 8 teams. To my mind, they look like the strongest team with very good defense.

I'd love to see a France-UK final, that would be awesome!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Jul 10th 2018, 02:34 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
No, at the quarter-final stage with 8 teams. To my mind, they look like the strongest team with very good defense.

I'd love to see a France-UK final, that would be awesome!
Thank you.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Jul 12th 2018, 02:28 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

The final will be France v Croatia.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jul 12th 2018, 04:41 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,045
Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
The final will be France v Croatia.

It should be a great match.

Here's a good article from The Guardian on yesterday's game:
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ld-cup-croatia
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com