Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Jun 30th 2018, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Iceland in World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I don't know what you mean by that.
Some background... in 1986 Italy won the World Cup. Toronto has a massive Italian community and they celebrated the victory with several spontaneous street parties, and lots of cars filled with people driving around waving Italian flags.

Well, Toronto has fairly large immigrant communities from just about every country on the globe and they all seem to be desperate to copy the Italian 1986 event. The desperation to parade their ethnic nationalism is obvious. So when World Cup begins, we get thousands of cars driving around waving flags and honking their horns on a daily basis and trying to block street traffic to create a street party after every fucking game (even though the number of supporters/fans engaged is way too small to achieve this). Most of these immigrant communities don't have the large number or mass support that countries like Italy have here (Italy, England and Germany are by far the largest community fan/groups for World Cup here).

And this year, the Portuguese and Croatians seem to be the most obnoxious about it, hence my desire to see these teams eliminated, though my friend insists that the Uruguay fans are worse. It all seems to be just an orgy of ethnic nationalism and it isn't pretty.

Btw, it seems that the fans of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England and Germany don't do the obnoxious 'hooliganism' thing and await final victory before trying to do the traffic-blocking street party thing. Not so with the smaller countries who try to do it after every game and are the obnoxious ones.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 12:32 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Some background... in 1986 Italy won the World Cup. Toronto has a massive Italian community and they celebrated the victory with several spontaneous street parties, and lots of cars filled with people driving around waving Italian flags.

Well, Toronto has fairly large immigrant communities from just about every country on the globe and they all seem to be desperate to copy the Italian 1986 event. The desperation to parade their ethnic nationalism is obvious. So when World Cup begins, we get thousands of cars driving around waving flags and honking their horns on a daily basis and trying to block street traffic to create a street party after every fucking game (even though the number of supporters/fans engaged is way too small to achieve this). Most of these immigrant communities don't have the large number or mass support that countries like Italy have here (Italy, England and Germany are by far the largest community fan/groups for World Cup here).

And this year, the Portuguese and Croatians seem to be the most obnoxious about it, hence my desire to see these teams eliminated, though my friend insists that the Uruguay fans are worse. It all seems to be just an orgy of ethnic nationalism and it isn't pretty.

Btw, it seems that the fans of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England and Germany don't do the obnoxious 'hooliganism' thing and await final victory before trying to do the traffic-blocking street party thing. Not so with the smaller countries who try to do it after every game and are the obnoxious ones.
Thank you. But could you please go into more detail about what the Croatian and Portuguese fans have done which you resent?
Old Jul 5th 2018, 03:49 PM
Globetrotter

England have reached the quarter-final. This is their best competition achievement in any competition since 2006. They reached a(!) quarter-final in 2012 too, but that was the Euro quarter-final, which, while honorable, isn't as prestigious as a World Cup quarter-final. Gareth Southgate is the coach and he deserves great praise for having lifted England out of the doldrums! Well done, Gareth Southgate! Also, Harry Kane, has been a magnificent forward. Well done to him!
Old Jul 6th 2018, 05:39 PM
Globetrotter

Frace v Belgium in one of the semi-finals. Will it be Victor Hugo or Georges Simenon?
Old Jul 6th 2018, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I've got my money on France to win it all.

Though, I will cheer for Belgium for Dominick!
Old Jul 7th 2018, 02:48 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I've got my money on France to win it all.

Though, I will cheer for Belgium for Dominick!
May I ask when you made the bet? Before the World Cup started?
Old Jul 9th 2018, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
May I ask when you made the bet? Before the World Cup started?
No, at the quarter-final stage with 8 teams. To my mind, they look like the strongest team with very good defense.

I'd love to see a France-UK final, that would be awesome!
Old Jul 10th 2018, 02:34 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
No, at the quarter-final stage with 8 teams. To my mind, they look like the strongest team with very good defense.

I'd love to see a France-UK final, that would be awesome!
Thank you.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 02:28 AM
Globetrotter

The final will be France v Croatia.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 04:41 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
The final will be France v Croatia.

It should be a great match.