Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:30 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Eyesore of the Month

The University library in Ghent:

Its only redeeming characteristic is that it houses 3 million books.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:42 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
Jesus H. Christ! Looking at photos of Clevenland and ....... it's just filled with bridges! I had no idea.
Yes. We straddle a river.

In fact, we once had a battle over a bridge:

http://www.teachingcleveland.org/ind...dge-street-war
Old Sep 6th 2013, 01:03 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
This is a church in Antwerp:

One doesn't have to be secular or atheist to shudder at the mere sight.
Looks like a tyre factory that went bust ....... so they built a tower around the smokestack and stuck a cross on it!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 01:13 PM
World Citizen

I don't care what art freaks and historians say .... this guy's shit cannot be described in any other terms than "Gaudi"!

Old Sep 6th 2013, 01:59 PM
World Citizen

During the mid 70’s I lived in Freiburg im Breisgau. There’s a fine gothic cathedral (the Freiburger Münster from about the year 1230) from where the town got its beginnings. The structure’s got the necessary gargoyles, of course. You know what a gargoyle is, right …………. ?

…........... right.

After living there about 3 months I noticed several people standing there, looking up at the cathedral, smiling and commenting. Well! That there ain’t no gargoyle!

https://www.google.se/url?sa=i&rct=j...78574506246496

In those days the first structures to be constructed in any would-be community were the church and the homes of the most influential people around it. That was the centre of any town.

The story goes that as the cathedral was being built the architect had a serious disagreement with one of the prominent men, a trader, whose house was also going up, so to show his hatred for the guy the architect expressed himself in his work. Now, when it rains the water is funnelled through it and shoots forcibly out of his asshole ….. in the direction of the house of you-know-who.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I don't care what art freaks and historians say .... this guy's shit cannot be described in any other terms than "Gaudi"!
Actually, the term "hideous" comes to my mind. That's a true "eyesore".
Old Sep 6th 2013, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
This is a church in Antwerp:

One doesn't have to be secular or atheist to shudder at the mere sight.
I didn't know that architects could design churches in the "soviet brutalism" style!

That is one seriously ugly church.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
During the mid 70’s I lived in Freiburg im Breisgau. There’s a fine gothic cathedral (the Freiburger Münster from about the year 1230) from where the town got its beginnings. The structure’s got the necessary gargoyles, of course. You know what a gargoyle is, right …………. ?

…........... right.

After living there about 3 months I noticed several people standing there, looking up at the cathedral, smiling and commenting. Well! That there ain’t no gargoyle!

In those days the first structures to be constructed in any would-be community were the church and the homes of the most influential people around it. That was the centre of any town.

The story goes that as the cathedral was being built the architect had a serious disagreement with one of the prominent men, a trader, whose house was also going up, so to show his hatred for the guy the architect expressed himself in his work. Now, when it rains the water is funnelled through it and shoots forcibly out of his asshole ….. in the direction of the house of you-know-who.
It was not uncommon at all to use gargoyles as drainspouts in medieval buildings, though I admit this is a particularly amusing application!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 07:44 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It was not uncommon at all to use gargoyles as drainspouts in medieval buildings, though I admit this is a particularly amusing application!
Gargoyles are drainspouts by definition. If they don't have that function they're grotesques.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 09:45 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:

…........... right.

EXCELLENT. Just... excellent.