Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Society, Media & Culture

Society, Media & Culture Sociology, lifestyles, psychology, paranormal, media studies and all things cultural.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Nov 4th 2016, 06:51 PM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,956
Default The News Media

This documentary by Aussie John Pilger is long and probably requires a pitcher of ale or a bottle of wine to get though it, but imho it is spot-on regarding the concentration of corporate power in journalism in "the battle for history."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcD81WHkCsE
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Dec 5th 2016, 09:11 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: The News Media

The staff of Newsweek claims that they didn't write the issue describing Hillary Clinton being elected President:
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/12/0...esident-issue/

But if you can't trust Topix Media Lab who can you trust?
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Dec 5th 2016, 05:50 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,734
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
But if you can't trust Topix Media Lab who can you trust?
Just for curiosity, I looked up "Topix Media Lab" in a search engine:

Quote:
The Media Lab is a mass-market consumer magazine publishing company producing single topic magazines.
On what basis could one imagine that such an organization could be trusted? Or any commercial media organization for that matter?

Didn't anyone learn anything from Vietnam era? The media is not your friend, the media does not report truth. the media derrives big profits from lies/bullshit and the media will sell your granny to organ-recyclers for a dollar if they thought they could make a nickel profit doing it.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:02 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Just for curiosity, I looked up "Topix Media Lab" in a search engine:



On what basis could one imagine that such an organization could be trusted? Or any commercial media organization for that matter?

Didn't anyone learn anything from Vietnam era? The media is not your friend, the media does not report truth. the media derrives big profits from lies/bullshit and the media will sell your granny to organ-recyclers for a dollar if they thought they could make a nickel profit doing it.
Note that Topix Media Lab was used by Newsweek, which RedFlagNews.com that The Drunk Girl likes, cited as a "top news source."
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Dec 6th 2016, 06:04 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,734
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Note that Topix Media Lab was used by Newsweek, which RedFlagNews.com that The Drunk Girl likes, cited as a "top news source."
Newsweek is a supremely hacktacular rag. Don't you remember the OJ Simpson cover photo bullshit they pulled?

And DrunkGirl was making fun of RedFlagNews.com, not praising it. She offered it as an example of the stupid links embedded in one of those political screeds from LewRockwell.com you like to post so much about.

For me, it is all the Gold/Silver ads all over LewRockwell.com that give the game away. Those are always a big red flag for rightwingnut websites.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:41 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Newsweek is a supremely hacktacular rag. Don't you remember the OJ Simpson cover photo bullshit they pulled?

And DrunkGirl was making fun of RedFlagNews.com, not praising it. She offered it as an example of the stupid links embedded in one of those political screeds from LewRockwell.com you like to post so much about.

For me, it is all the Gold/Silver ads all over LewRockwell.com that give the game away. Those are always a big red flag for rightwingnut websites.
Okay, call LewRockwell.com a right-wing web site if you want to, but can you call Russia Today a right-wing web site, too? That is not just a rhetorical question. I don't know.

But here is a video from Russia Today that covers almost everything newsworthy- fake news, precious metals, NSA intrigue, you name it, and an interview with Paul Craig Roberts.

And, it's amusing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7xY7NQl5j0
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Dec 21st 2016, 06:11 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,734
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
... but can you call Russia Today a right-wing web site, too? That is not just a rhetorical question. I don't know.
Russian media are all lapdogs to the Russian government, or run by gangsters, whether they are shoveling Russian propaganda at Russians, or fake news to the west. Rightwing or leftwing doesn't register on that scale.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 04:26 AM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Russian media are all lapdogs to the Russian government, or run by gangsters, whether they are shoveling Russian propaganda at Russians, or fake news to the west. Rightwing or leftwing doesn't register on that scale.
To me there seems to be more truth in RT than in the US MSM and I don't see Max Keiser or Paul Craig Roberts being anyone's lapdog, but in any case it's a different spin.

Would you agree that the US MSM are lapdogs to the US powers-that-be?
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 07:05 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,734
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
To me there seems to be more truth in RT than in the US MSM and I don't see Max Keiser or Paul Craig Roberts being anyone's lapdog, but in any case it's a different spin.
If one wishes to sell fake news, you draw the customers in with real news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Would you agree that the US MSM are lapdogs to the US powers-that-be?
Yes, I certainly agree with that.

My critique of dodgy Russian media companies does not in any way infer that American media is superior. The flaws, foibles and manifest lies of the American media are well known and relatively predictable. We know what they want to achieve. But what are the Russians doing? What are their flaws, foibles and the goals of their lies? That is a question that does not admit of easy answers for non-Russians - thus, I counsel prudent caution with all Russian sourced material referencing western affairs.

For the same reason, one should exercise prudent caution with American sourced material referencing Russian (or Chinese) affairs.

For what it is worth, I have often found the best mainstream media coverage of American politics (low bar certainly) comes from British media sources - the Guardian and BBC are both generally far better than any American mass media company in covering US political affairs. And yes, British media has flaws, foibles and lies of their own, that goes without saying. But like the American media, the British media's many flaws are also generally well known and predictable (and generally do not define their coverage of US politics - it is covering British/European politics where the Brit media gets a bit questionable).
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 01:58 PM
Tom Palven Tom Palven is offline
Cranky Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: The News Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The flaws, foibles and manifest lies of the American media are well known and relatively predictable. We know what they want to achieve. But what are the Russians doing? What are their flaws, foibles and the goals of their lies? That is a question that does not admit of easy answers for non-Russians -

For what it is worth, I have often found the best mainstream media coverage of American politics comes from British media sources - the Guardian and BBC are both generally far better than any American mass media company in covering US political affairs.
I don't think that most Americans are aware of US lies. Most people seem to think that the Associated Press and New York Times spout gospel.

I agree that The Guardian is a better source for US news, and thought they did a good job trying to expose Tony Blair's war-mongering for scumbag Bush.

Maybe you've seen this before, the US MSM laid bare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dguiAWrUGMM
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the Lunatic Fringe of the Radical Center
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com