Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Oct 25th 2011, 05:02 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Pig factory farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
I agree that meat should be considered a luxury item
What if you find a dead rat in the trash?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 05:13 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I don't mean this as anything personal towards you, so please don't take offense.

Teachers will be nice and say things like "there's no such thing as a stupid question." Well, they lie.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Don't even get me started on agro-industry subsidies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
New thread? Then you could get started and run with it!
Excellent suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I don't know much about the topic, but I'm curious about plans that would eliminate agro subsidies without driving up food prices, which strikes me as rather regressive economically (and suicidal politically).
I doubt the effect on US consumers would be that large since the whole principle of US agro-subsidies has nothing to do with subsidizing consumer prices and everything to do with subsidizing large-scale production (for mass export).
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:49 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I think this is actually a salient point because we have some ... interesting rules in our society about such things as non-meat animals and roadkill. To answer the question directly, rats have a lot of diseases that humans have so I would advise that a dead rate in the trash should be cooked thoroughly at 180F for at least 10 minutes to kill off any microorganisms that might be lurking. Don't bother with it in the Four Corners region - hantavirus is just nasty. Roadkill deer, for instance, is often a terrible waste of meat. Most places have laws against going around collecting such things for personal use. We also don't generally consider dogs and cats food in NA but they're fair game in other places. Cows are off the menu for Hindus just as pigs are for Jews and Muslims. Interesting ideas about how food should be categorised. Any meat is still a luxury, even a dead rat if you are resorting to such sources of food - heck, by definition a dead rat in the trash viewed as food must be a luxury.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:55 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I think this is actually a salient point because we have some ... interesting rules in our society about such things as non-meat animals and roadkill. To answer the question directly, rats have a lot of diseases that humans have so I would advise that a dead rate in the trash should be cooked thoroughly at 180F for at least 10 minutes to kill off any microorganisms that might be lurking. Don't bother with it in the Four Corners region - hantavirus is just nasty. Roadkill deer, for instance, is often a terrible waste of meat. Most places have laws against going around collecting such things for personal use. We also don't generally consider dogs and cats food in NA but they're fair game in other places. Cows are off the menu for Hindus just as pigs are for Jews and Muslims. Interesting ideas about how food should be categorised. Any meat is still a luxury, even a dead rat if you are resorting to such sources of food - heck, by definition a dead rat in the trash viewed as food must be a luxury.
I'll remember that - cheers
Old Oct 26th 2011, 09:30 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I doubt the effect on US consumers would be that large since the whole principle of US agro-subsidies has nothing to do with subsidizing consumer prices and everything to do with subsidizing large-scale production (for mass export).
I have trouble seeing how those two could be separate (i.e. large-scale production generally lowers price-per-unit). But I'll await a thread on the topic to ask further questions.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:45 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
My first question, though, would be how did that rat die? I'd be more comfortable with a rat that I killed when I saw it scrounging around in the garbage than one that I found dead. Just sayin'.

As for road kill, I don't know about the cities, but in the rural counties in Ohio the police have lists of people they will call down when somebody hits a deer, who will come and retrieve the body. I don't know what most of them do with them... the guy who came and got the one that my mom killed was going to feed it to his menagerie (I think HIS biggest critter was a mountain lion/puma/cougar). When my dad hit a deer with his little truck he just stuck it in the bed and drove it down to some amish (I think) to dress it for him.

Venison can be delicious, though usually a less-stress kill goes for better meats.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I never said that everyone had to be eating meat either so don't mischaractise my projections about how many people can be fed in this manner.
I wasn't characterizing nor mischaraterizing your projections in any way.

I was making a general comment about the nature of the problem - that even if the whole world switched over to sustainable agriculture (and that's a huge undertaking opposed by massive vested interests) that's only half the battle. To make that work, you'd need a huge switch on the consumer demand side and that's an even larger undertaking opposed by even larger and more powerful vested interests (US culture itself).
Old Oct 26th 2011, 08:44 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I wasn't characterizing nor mischaraterizing your projections in any way.

I was making a general comment about the nature of the problem - that even if the whole world switched over to sustainable agriculture (and that's a huge undertaking opposed by massive vested interests) that's only half the battle. To make that work, you'd need a huge switch on the consumer demand side and that's an even larger undertaking opposed by even larger and more powerful vested interests (US culture itself).
US food culture is led by the nose by the food producers.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:59 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
US food culture is led by the nose by the food producers.
Which food culture?

I'd argue that there are several food cultures within the US. Anything from the raw food guys to the slow food movement to the "I don't cook" people.