Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Sep 4th 2011, 07:51 PM
Globetrotter

Default Ecological living

Grishino is a "eco-community" in Leningrad oblast. It is one of several such communities in Russia: Kitezh, Novoecoville, Kovcheg (Noah's Ark), Bolshoi Kamen (Big Stone), and Tiberkul.

I suppose a defining characteristic is that families there practice a conservative form of Orthodox Christianity

Except for Big Stone: they are pagans

At least I think so... That is certainly a pagan idol in the last picture.

They also do not use modern technology

Some of those communities everybody is vegetarian, it is law there, you have to be one to join. They live off of what they grow

Others, however, do eat meat and so keep livestock

They live in wooden houses

Unlike most of the rest of Russia, they have a actual, functioning democracy, where decisions are made by voting at meetings
Old Sep 4th 2011, 07:51 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Ecological living

They are loosely associated with the "Global Ecovillage Network" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Ecovillage_Network), but their philosophies differ on many areas.

For one, as I understand, most Western environmentalists and ecological living advocates are atheists or agnostic. Here, they are as I said devoutly religious. And Western environomentalists advocate people do not have children, because of overpopulation of Earth or whatever. Not here. They are Russian traditionalists and they love their children

In fact their leaders say: "A healthy family is a big step toward a healthy environment"
Old Sep 5th 2011, 01:42 AM
Globetrotter

I've never heard an environmentalist say 'don't have children'. I've heard some of them say that condoms should be used in overpopulated parts of the world, so that couples don't end up with 10 children they can't afford to feed.

It's not realistic to ask Westerners, or Moscow Russians to live like those people - it is realistic to ask them to use public transport and stop driving big cars, or at least stop boasting about it.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Sep 5th 2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:10 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I've never heard an environmentalist say 'don't have children'. I've heard some of them say that condoms should be used in overpopulated parts of the world, so that couples don't end up with 10 children they can't afford to feed.

It's not realistic to ask Westerners, or Moscow Russians to live like those people - it is realistic to ask them to use public transport and stop driving big cars, or at least stop boasting about it.
Why do you, personally speaking, believe it is not realistic to ask Westerners or Muscovites to live in this way? This is not to bait or troll - I'm deeply interested in this because my own lifestyle is moving toward the examples MMI shows rather than the other way. I want to hear about what mainstream consumers think about this and why it can't be asked of them to live in this manner. The real problem is of course that the choice may not be theirs (or yours) for much longer.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:20 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Why do you, personally speaking, believe it is not realistic to ask Westerners or Muscovites to live in this way? This is not to bait or troll - I'm deeply interested in this because my own lifestyle is moving toward the examples MMI shows rather than the other way. I want to hear about what mainstream consumers think about this and why it can't be asked of them to live in this manner. The real problem is of course that the choice may not be theirs (or yours) for much longer.
You can't even get most people to give up having big cars - some even boast about those big cars.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:52 AM
Globetrotter

Actually, most people who form these 'eco-villages' are former Muscovites and Peterburgers who move to rural areas as they grow tired of city life.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:59 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Actually, most people who form these 'eco-villages' are former Muscovites and Peterburgers who move to rural areas as they grow tired of city life.
Okay, but I'm sure they are only a small minority of the people of those cities.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:20 AM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Okay, but I'm sure they are only a small minority of the people of those cities.
That is not surprising; most of us know nothing about farming. Please answer these questions:

1) When was this Grishino commune formed?

2) Are they still in existence?

3) What kind of agriculture do they (or did they) practice?

4) Where do they (or did they) buy things and tools they need?

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

Last edited by kowalskil; Sep 7th 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:34 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalskil View Post
1) When was this Grishino commune formed?
I don't know.
Quote:
2) Are they still in existence?
I don't know.
Quote:
3) What kind of agriculture do they (or did they) practice?
I don't know.
Quote:
4) Where do they (or did they) buy things and tools they need?
I don't know.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
This is interesting. This parallels Greendruid's situation as he too 'was' a cityslicker in the none too distant past.

Btw, as other's have commented on the quality of your English, I must say your ability to use 'slangish' terminology in calling people "Moscovites and Peterburgers" is a good example of your very high level of English fluency.

Though, now that I think about it, both of those terms probably come from English-language Russian news sites to begin with!