Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Jul 14th 2011, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Mandatory recycling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
It may be that I'm late to the game in this. I agree that recycling has certainly increased in my lifetime, and I see no reason that it will decrease. With ease of access, that should just continue. Perhaps that's what I should (in theory) be focusing on.

One thing I would REALLY like to do, and I'm considering actually talking to our city council about having a biodegradables pick up. Most people in my town actually probably have the land to compost (We don't ), but I doubt that even one in one hundred do. I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be... I should probably research some other communities that have something comparable.
Quote:
http://www.seattle.gov/util/Services...tion/index.asp

Looks like they have a curbside composting program in Seattle...
We have curbside 'kitchen-waste' recycling for compost. The city runs the program and makes available the composted soil to the public for free.

Btw, that and 'yard-waste' are the only materials that have to be separated for recycling. For everything else, you just put papers, cardboard, plastics, metals and glass in your recycle box and the city picks it up curbside. It then goes through an automated sorting process (rather low-tech actually) mostly based on the weight differentials - magnets separate the metals for example.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 08:03 PM
Globetrotter

The ultimate destination of most US waste separation (recycling) after commercial pick-up or consumer drop-off at transfer stations (the dump) is dependent on market prices for specific recyclable materials.

Those separated materials are accumulated at transfer stations unless market price drops to a point where storage and transfer of same produces a higher cost than direct transfer to landfills. At that point any market price dependent incoming recyclables not meeting revenue generating requirements go directly to landfills.

Yep, in reality recycling of most consumer waste in the US has little to do with environmental concerns and a lot to do with market demand.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 08:31 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
We have curbside 'kitchen-waste' recycling for compost. The city runs the program and makes available the composted soil to the public for free.

Btw, that and 'yard-waste' are the only materials that have to be separated for recycling. For everything else, you just put papers, cardboard, plastics, metals and glass in your recycle box and the city picks it up curbside. It then goes through an automated sorting process (rather low-tech actually) mostly based on the weight differentials - magnets separate the metals for example.
Nice. I'm going to start by compiling a list of cities with good composting programs. Of course, a major city like Toronto or Seattle is a little different than a suburb of Cleveland, but hey, we have trash and recycle pick up.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

In case anyone is curious, here's Toronto's city website for garbage news and information...

http://www.toronto.ca/garbage/

Toronto's not much of a leader or innovator these days in city management, rather they are pretty good at running these types of programs that were developed in other cities.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 08:54 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
In case anyone is curious, here's Toronto's city website for garbage news and information...

http://www.toronto.ca/garbage/

Toronto's not much of a leader or innovator these days in city management, rather they are pretty good at running these types of programs that were developed in other cities.
I looked through the Green Bin info, including PDFs, and found a few references to subcontractors but there was no data on costs. Is it a tax funded operation or is there revenue from the private sector to offset costs? I also noticed Toronto compost standards are set by the governing body.

I buy compost on a regular basis and for my organic purposes quickly learned to avoid municipal composting operation product in my state. Their standards are set by the state to facilitate public operations, which includes sewage, and while adequate for decorative plants/lawns and perhaps some backyard garden hobbyists even quality commercial landscapers avoid those products.

All said, Toronto is far ahead of the US in waste collection and conscientious dispersal of same.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I looked through the Green Bin info, including PDFs, and found a few references to subcontractors but there was no data on costs. Is it a tax funded operation or is there revenue from the private sector to offset costs? I also noticed Toronto compost standards are set by the governing body.
Yes, it is all tax-funded and run by the municipality. The services are provided to the public for free - paid for from city tax revenues, offset by revenues from selling recycled materials. Its not exactly a big profit maker, but it isn't a sinkhole either. The goal is to essentially 'break-even' with waste management as a necessary public service. Given that the City of Toronto has a direct tax-base of about 3.5 million population plus it is home to the vast majority of head offices of the largest corporations in Canada - the city government has the size, wealth and scale to operate programs like this.

Quote:
I buy compost on a regular basis and for my organic purposes quickly learned to avoid municipal composting operation product in my state. Their standards are set by the state to facilitate public operations, which includes sewage, and while adequate for decorative plants/lawns and perhaps some backyard garden hobbyists even quality commercial landscapers avoid those products.
I don't know offhand about the scientific quality of city-run composting, but I do know the city runs lots of free clinics and classes teaching about backyard composting - and I do know that city compost soil is generally in very high demand when it becomes available (for free).

It wouldn't surprise me if it is good quality compost-soil - government services around here generally do work fairly efficiently and effectively (not all of them of course).

Quote:
All said, Toronto is far ahead of the US in waste collection and conscientious dispersal of same.
Yes, that's a political culture thing. The US seems to have a deep-seated hatred of government run institutions which prevents or slows down the adoption of such policy/programs. In many cases, Americans seem to just want to wait for the private sector to come up with some magic and profitable solution and make the problem just vanish.

This just seems like a vague general trend in the US that affects a whole variety of public policy issues.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 09:26 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Yes, that's a political culture thing. The US seems to have a deep-seated hatred of government run institutions which prevents or slows down the adoption of such policy/programs. In many cases, Americans seem to just want to wait for the private sector to come up with some magic and profitable solution and make the problem just vanish.

This just seems like a vague general trend in the US that affects a whole variety of public policy issues.
Your government doesn't seem to suffer the high levels of corruption at every level so prominent in the US. Virtually every piece of US legislation from top to bottom by both major political parties has an initiating private sector party receiving public benefit with little to no return to the public from such actions.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 09:55 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Your government doesn't seem to suffer the high levels of corruption at every level so prominent in the US. Virtually every piece of US legislation from top to bottom by both major political parties has an initiating private sector party receiving public benefit with little to no return to the public from such actions.
Uh... did you notice why the Liberal party fell from power?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:32 PM
Resident Anthropologist

I never use the city compost for obvious reasons but it is free here too - I think they do a biennial giveaway.

Incidentally, when we lived in New Mexico, they had just started a pilot recycling programme they actually didn't work out in the end. One of the oddest things to me was that they didn't accept any glass, not even directly at the facility when we opted to drive everything in when the programme failed. Glass!?! I couldn't understand it - was it because of the copious amounts of sand everywhere? I just don't know and would love an explanation some day.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Uh... did you notice why the Liberal party fell from power?
Did you notice that was a $50 million dollar scandal that was essentially approved and legal? 90% of the population wouldn't even know about that deal let alone understand what was illegal.

No, the Liberals fell from power because of the old 3-term thing. After a party is in office for three terms, we throw them out no matter what. It was the Liberal's actions after they lost that election that has driven them down to a mere fraction of their former glory.