Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Economics

Economics The economy, taxes, Federal Reserve, Central Banks, inflation, interest rates, unemployment, stock markets, currency, GDP, NAFTA, IMF, WTO, GATT, etc.

Old Jan 6th 2010, 04:05 AM
Villager

Default Re: Local Fuel Prices

tonight it was 2.55.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 06:58 AM
World Citizen

I filled up yesterday, $2.61 at my local station. It's usually one of the cheapest in the area.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 04:27 AM
Banned

It's an interesting approach. I commonly see unexceptional views on the subject but yours it's written in a pretty unusual fashion. Surely, I will revisit your website for additional info.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 08:04 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
I filled up yesterday, $2.61 at my local station. It's usually one of the cheapest in the area.
Per gallon? Jumping right into this thread (assuming five pages of gas prices is a bit bland) - to say that our prices range from 7-8 dollars, regularly (if my calculations are correct). I suppose it does go below 7 dollars a gallon every now and then.

I make a little more than minimum wage, at about 24-25 USD an hour, so I guess it evens out for the little guy. But still, damn that's cheap.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplum View Post
Per gallon? Jumping right into this thread (assuming five pages of gas prices is a bit bland) - to say that our prices range from 7-8 dollars, regularly (if my calculations are correct). I suppose it does go below 7 dollars a gallon every now and then.
Yes, European gas prices are always a shock!

Quote:
I make a little more than minimum wage, at about 24-25 USD an hour, so I guess it evens out for the little guy. But still, damn that's cheap.
That's about triple the US minimum wage. Two-and-a-half times the Canadian minimum wage.

Indeed, that wage is exactly equal to the average family income in USA (about $46,000 per year) and way higher than the average wage (about $28,000 per year).
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:31 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yes, European gas prices are always a shock!

That's about triple the US minimum wage. Two-and-a-half times the Canadian minimum wage.

Indeed, that wage is exactly equal to the average family income in USA (about $46,000 per year) and way higher than the average wage (about $28,000 per year).
But, gasp, we pay MORE TAXES.

I laugh all the way from the doctor's office, of course, so I have to say it evens out again. I'm sure it's awesome to be rich in the US, though.

Edit: Right now I pay 0 % tax, up to about 7000 dollars. Lovely paychecks, and I work 12 hours a week. Oops, at 23,66 dollars, guess rates have changed since last time I checked. Everything is ridiculously priced here, but it's great to travel abroad.

Last edited by Multiplum; Feb 22nd 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 01:27 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
But, gasp, we pay MORE TAXES.

I laugh all the way from the doctor's office, of course, so I have to say it evens out again. I'm sure it's awesome to be rich in the US, though.
You haven't been following any republican or libertarian dominated political forums. Anyone in the US can become rich, all they need to do is get a job and apply themselves. If they don't become rich, they deserve to be contained in abject poverty for being lazy. We are having some serious problems with the job aspect of that formula.

Quote:
Edit: Right now I pay 0 % tax, up to about 7000 dollars. Lovely paychecks, and I work 12 hours a week. Oops, at 23,66 dollars, guess rates have changed since last time I checked. Everything is ridiculously priced here, but it's great to travel abroad.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 01:37 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
You haven't been following any republican or libertarian dominated political forums. Anyone in the US can become rich, all they need to do is get a job and apply themselves. If they don't become rich, they deserve to be contained in abject poverty for being lazy. We are having some serious problems with the job aspect of that formula.
I'm not so sure about the American dream, really. I'm not qualified to talk about this, but from what I gather looking in from the outside, there's not that much room for class mobility. It would be interesting to see a comparison between different countries on this, although I doubt it would be possible to find unbiased, reliable sources.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 01:58 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I'm not so sure about the American dream, really. I'm not qualified to talk about this, but from what I gather looking in from the outside, there's not that much room for class mobility. It would be interesting to see a comparison between different countries on this, although I doubt it would be possible to find unbiased, reliable sources.
There is generally zero room for upward class mobility, but The American Dream did generate consumer spending at an instant gratification level, the chaotic aftermath of that now becoming all too familiar.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Every study I've seen done in the last twenty years (advanced western nations only) always puts the US at the bottom of any comparative study for social mobility. In the USA, your parent's social class determines your future social status to a degree unparalleled elsewhere.

You might be surprised to find that France and Denmark usually top the list.

Even UK beats the USA by a longshot and that's pathetic (since the UK has a horrific track record with social mobility).

In other words, if you are born to a poor working class background, but are a brilliant entrepreneur, statistically speaking, the USA is the worst country in the western world to be born in.