Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Economics

Economics The economy, taxes, Federal Reserve, Central Banks, inflation, interest rates, unemployment, stock markets, currency, GDP, NAFTA, IMF, WTO, GATT, etc.

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 05:34 AM
Citizen

Default Re: Local Fuel Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Every study I've seen done in the last twenty years (advanced western nations only) always puts the US at the bottom of any comparative study for social mobility. In the USA, your parent's social class determines your future social status to a degree unparalleled elsewhere.

You might be surprised to find that France and Denmark usually top the list.

Even UK beats the USA by a longshot and that's pathetic (since the UK has a horrific track record with social mobility).

In other words, if you are born to a poor working class background, but are a brilliant entrepreneur, statistically speaking, the USA is the worst country in the western world to be born in.
France? Denmark I can understand, should be way better than here, where you're usually stuck with being "well off" regardless of talent or effort. And I didn't think the UK would beat the US, that's counter-intuitive considering how backwards the UK is in some respects.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 07:35 AM
Nomad

People all over the world stopped driving and started using collective transportation causing the prices to go down, but i do believe that the government is involved in this because i have never seen the price of something to decrease that fast.
I heard that the higher prices go, the more they fall. Picture this, companies are in business to make money, and the cheaper they can make stuff, the better for them because their profits are greater. I still think automakers make cars cheaply and they break easily, rather than making something to last. This makes me lose faith in mankind, somewhat. Demand has dropped, I'm sure.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:47 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.adley View Post
People all over the world stopped driving and started using collective transportation causing the prices to go down, but i do believe that the government is involved in this because i have never seen the price of something to decrease that fast.
I heard that the higher prices go, the more they fall. Picture this, companies are in business to make money, and the cheaper they can make stuff, the better for them because their profits are greater. I still think automakers make cars cheaply and they break easily, rather than making something to last. This makes me lose faith in mankind, somewhat. Demand has dropped, I'm sure.
So Aaron, what are you paying for fuel?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

$3.67 per US gallon right now in Toronto.

(dollar parity sure makes this calculation a lot easier!)
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 02:44 PM
Resident Anthropologist

$4.00/US Gallon as of today in Cape Breton
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 02:58 PM
Official Forum Mascot

$2.68 at the gas station I usually tank up at. It's generally 3-10 cents lower than the area average though.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 03:04 PM
Globetrotter

$3/gal here. We get California refinery products.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Given dollar parity, it looks like about a $0.75 per gallon difference in gasoline taxes.

Based on US gasoline consumption (378 million gallons per day), that translates into about $100 billion per year.

That could easily pay for a full Canadian style universal healthcare system in the USA - and would have the added benefit of encouraging a reduction in greenhouse gases.

And Canadian fuel prices are dirt cheap compared to Europe. Indeed, Canadian gasoline prices are so low they seem to encourage wasteful usage (much like in the USA).
Old Apr 24th 2010, 07:22 AM
World Citizen

We've come down some in my area of Florida in the past week, from $2.85 to $2.73.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:40 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
We've come down some in my area of Florida in the past week, from $2.85 to $2.73.
We skyrocketed down here. Went from about $2.80 to $3.00.

For a good time call Judges 19:24-30