View Single Post
Old Dec 30th 2013, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Adam Smith: The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Am I now, or have I ever been a member of the Libertarian Party? Yes, I will confess to that, but I haven't been a member in a long time. I felt it had been co-opted by conservatives, and dropped out even well before the LP News and party officials refused to say anything about the shock and awe on the totally blameless people of Iraq, which was extremely popular at the time, boosting George Bush's popularity to over 80%, the highest recorded for a sitting President. It sure seemed that the conservatives and paid party hacks in the LP were a bunch of opportunist wimps.
The US LP was taken over by fanatical Chicago/Austrian/Rand types long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
So, I've dropped the label libertarian for myself and don't even like to called a libertarian, even with a small "l", and just prefer the terms "individualist." I don't like to called an American, either, although North American is accurate, and "earthling" would also be fine.

Glad that you like the term "individualist" for yourself, too.
I don't like that term at all, nor do I think it describes me. I am a liberal of the classical liberal tradition. That means I hold "liberty" to be the highest goal - but not at the expense of screwing everyone else.

Which is why I am so negative about the anti-Federal Reserve crap. That's just a game sponsored by the gold companies and the doomsday set. That's Glenn Beck/extreme wingnut territory.