Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Society, Media & Culture

Society, Media & Culture Sociology, lifestyles, psychology, paranormal, media studies and all things cultural.

Old Oct 28th 2012, 10:51 AM
Globetrotter

Default Racism in America

A recent AP poll shows a slight increase in US racism, from 48% in 2008 to 51% in 2012. The study was conducted online and included explicit and implicit questions.

Source

This issue comes up on a periodic basis with some posters stating racism is declining while others say no change. I think individual opinions are formed more by personal/professional culture than any other factor. Considering only 16% of Americans live in areas that aren't part of a metropolitan complex, geographical location and education don't seem to be major factors.

What do you think? Why isn't US racism declining?
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:07 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Racism in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
A recent AP poll shows a slight increase in US racism, from 48% in 2008 to 51% in 2012. The study was conducted online and included explicit and implicit questions.

Source

This issue comes up on a periodic basis with some posters stating racism is declining while others say no change. I think individual opinions are formed more by personal/professional culture than any other factor. Considering only 16% of Americans live in areas that aren't part of a metropolitan complex, geographical location and education don't seem to be major factors.

What do you think? Why isn't US racism declining?
i would imagine with the election of barack obama you would have turned a page on that dark chapter of your history. but i guess if this study is correct, i am wrong.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:19 AM
Globetrotter

I don't know what question they asked the pollees. 'Are you a racist' perhaps?

Anyway, it is only a 4-year period and only a 3-percentage-point change. Not enormous, probably well within the margin of error.

Stick to telling us that money makes people jump through hoops, Americano old chap.

Old Oct 28th 2012, 02:03 PM
Globetrotter

I've just read the actual poll results and where on earth does that figure of 51% come from ?
(I won't even go in the absurd nature of the questions to begin with).

Here's a typical answer. The question is : "How much do you like or dislike each of the following groups"
The result for "Blacks" is:

Like a great deal
Like a moderate amount
Like a little
Neither like nor dislike
Dislike a little
Dislike a moderate amount
Dislike a great deal
Refused/Not answered

Note : the format doesn't copy. The first figure each time is the result for 2010, the second for 2012.
So a whole 7% (3+2+2) dislike the group 'Blacks' to some extent. Where do the other 44% come from ?
It's the same with all other such questions. Typically negative attitudes are between 5 and 20%, at most 25%. There's no trace of a 51% in any of them.

Nick's right by the way and I quote:
2010: :Sampling margin of error for a 50% statistic with 95% confidence is: 3.04 for all interviews
2012: "Sampling margin of error for a 50% statistic with 95% confidence is: 3.78 for all interviews".
So the results are for 2010 : 48 3.04, i.e [44.96, 51.04] and for 2012 51 3.78, i.e. [47.22, 54.78] for a 95% certainty. In other words, whatever that 51% represents might actually have decreased between 2010 and 2012.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 06:03 PM
Globetrotter

All I can say is, probably the economy. Usually, when people get poorer, the level of inter ethnic or inter-racial tolerance and cohesion in society goes down. At least, that is how it seems to work here...
Old Oct 29th 2012, 08:37 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I've just read the actual poll results and where on earth does that figure of 51% come from ?
(I won't even go in the absurd nature of the questions to begin with).

Here's a typical answer. The question is : "How much do you like or dislike each of the following groups"
The result for "Blacks" is:

Like a great deal
Like a moderate amount
Like a little
Neither like nor dislike
Dislike a little
Dislike a moderate amount
Dislike a great deal
Refused/Not answered

Note : the format doesn't copy. The first figure each time is the result for 2010, the second for 2012.
So a whole 7% (3+2+2) dislike the group 'Blacks' to some extent. Where do the other 44% come from ?
It's the same with all other such questions. Typically negative attitudes are between 5 and 20%, at most 25%. There's no trace of a 51% in any of them.

Nick's right by the way and I quote:
2010: :Sampling margin of error for a 50% statistic with 95% confidence is: 3.04 for all interviews
2012: "Sampling margin of error for a 50% statistic with 95% confidence is: 3.78 for all interviews".
So the results are for 2010 : 48 3.04, i.e [44.96, 51.04] and for 2012 51 3.78, i.e. [47.22, 54.78] for a 95% certainty. In other words, whatever that 51% represents might actually have decreased between 2010 and 2012.
Still seems like a lot of racists for a supposedly developed country.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 09:50 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I don't know what question they asked the pollees. 'Are you a racist' perhaps?

Anyway, it is only a 4-year period and only a 3-percentage-point change. Not enormous, probably well within the margin of error.

Stick to telling us that money makes people jump through hoops, Americano old chap.

How is passing on a news story telling anyone anything? I asked for opinions on the issue.

I don't bother telling anyone anything as people seldom change their emotion charged opinions even with facts staring them in the face.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
How is passing on a news story telling anyone anything? I asked for opinions on the issue.

I don't bother telling anyone anything as people seldom change their emotion charged opinions even with facts staring them in the face.
No, you frequently tell people things, but it's usually things that no one has denied.

But I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings - it's nice to see you taking an interest in something.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 01:50 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Still seems like a lot of racists for a supposedly developed country.
Between 7% and 25% ? That's not that much. In Hungary e.g. it's over 50% at the moment. In Flanders it's between 40% and 50%.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Between 7% and 25% ? That's not that much. In Hungary e.g. it's over 50% at the moment. In Flanders it's between 40% and 50%.
While I agree that those European numbers are scary, the sheer size of the USA makes their numbers huge. According to Wiki, Flanders population is 6.3 million. At 50%, that's 3.15 million racists. With the USA, 25% is 75 million racists.