Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Religion & Moral Issues

Religion & Moral Issues For discussion of all issues of religion, spiritualism, faith and moral issues.

Old Jul 11th 2011, 01:40 AM
Globetrotter

Default Headscarves

I know that in Europe, countries are actually banning women from wearing head scarves. We already talked about France, but I believe Holland is also doing it, and a few municipal governments in Spain and Italy. Belgium too, I think, though am not sure. I understand this is aimed at Muslim women particularly.

But for me, having grown up surrounded by women in headscarves, and now with my wife often wearing a hijab, that is ridiculous.

First, in Orthodox Christianity, or at least in its traditional, fundamental version that Old Orthodox apply today, girls should and married women mustcover their hair when they go out.

And in Islam too, of course, hijab is important

Dinara Sadretdinova, hijab-wearing Tatar hostess of Russian TV show 'Musulmane' ('Muslims')

"The headscarf makes me feel more feminine, helps me embrace myself, as a woman, and as a Muslim woman, as a wife, and a mother."
http://www.mk.ru/social/interview/20...nstvennoy.html

Frankly, while I see the excesses and abuses in both religions, as I also see the good sides of them, I also see the wisdom in my wife's words on the French law (and on a debate on this topic on a Russian mothers' forum online). "Who is Sarcosy, who is modern France, which has existed for maybe 200 years, to try to undermine religious rules that were here for one or two thousand years?" and "Why do some men in Europe think they know better what women should and should not wear?" I must say, I agree whole-heartedly. Karina certainly looks amazing in her hijab. And when I go back to my ancestral village, Old Orthodox women and girls in their scarves is among the first sight I get and it is a wonderful one indeed. They now make them in so many colors, shapes, sizes. Some have actually a depiction of Christ on them...

I think France and other European states taht pass these bigoted laws do themselves a real disservice. I don't, by the way, think a woman should be forced to wear some headscarf, whatever faith she is. But if she chooses to, respect it! Sarcosy is just a racist little Hungarian prick, IMHO
Old Jul 11th 2011, 01:53 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Headscarves

Name one country that has banned the headscarf.

Sarkozy has banned the burqa, which has nothing to do with Islam, only Arab.

And I say, well done, Sarkozy. It's time we started protecting our own cultures, in the same way that Arab countries protect their cultures.

When Arab countries open gay clubs, then we can allow the burqa.

And if banning the burqa does the country a disservice, how exactly does it do the country a disservice?

The headscarf is only banned in French schools, where crucifixes are also banned.

Who is modern France??? Modern France is a country of 57 million people, most of whom have been there for about 2000 years, and have developed, instead of remaining in the dark ages.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Jul 11th 2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 05:07 AM
Globetrotter

My mistake about scarves and veils. My point stands though. There are many in Europe including such as Geert Wilders whould ban anything Islamic. Pathetic ignorant bigots. Here we have them too, but leaders don't listen to them exept about the gays. Nobody likes them, poor people. But I am moving off. As for 'defending our culture', how is European culture threatened? By some woman wearing a scarf? Ridiculuos. I will tell you the greatest threat to Europe - itself. That which you cheer as 'progress': the legalising and spread of narcotics and prostitution, loss of religious identity and resulting loosening of social norms, particularly among youth. That is where the trouble is, my friend.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 05:19 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
My mistake about scarves and veils. My point stands though. There are many in Europe including such as Geert Wilders whould ban anything Islamic. Pathetic ignorant bigots. Here we have them too, but leaders don't listen to them exept about the gays. Nobody likes them, poor people. But I am moving off. As for 'defending our culture', how is European culture threatened? By some woman wearing a scarf? Ridiculuos. I will tell you the greatest threat to Europe - itself. That which you cheer as 'progress': the legalising and spread of narcotics and prostitution, loss of religious identity and resulting loosening of social norms, particularly among youth. That is where the trouble is, my friend.
Look at Scandinavia. One of the 1st places in Europe to legalise gay marriage, and one of the least religious places in the world (believe me). Believe me, I'd rather live there than among thuggish people who think driving fast is more important than safe roads.

And if you go to Norway, you'll see how very carefully people drive. Scandinavians are NOT tolerant of stupidity on the roads.

I can assure you Scandinavia most people are anti-racist, and anti-homophobia.

The homophobes in Russian villages just hate anyone who isn't exactly like them, which is why you choose not to live there.

This is one of the most honest, considerate places you could live.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 08:54 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post

When Arab countries open gay clubs, then we can allow the burqa.
It's like playing fucking logical whack-a-mole with you.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 02:52 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Sarkozy has banned the burqa, which has nothing to do with Islam, only Arab.
Except for the fact that there are a lot of conservative Muslims out there who do happen to think it has a lot to do with Islam. Considering you're not Muslim, I will defer to them.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 03:20 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Look at Scandinavia. One of the 1st places in Europe to legalise gay marriage, and one of the least religious places in the world (believe me). Believe me, I'd rather live there than among thuggish people who think driving fast is more important than safe roads.

And if you go to Norway, you'll see how very carefully people drive. Scandinavians are NOT tolerant of stupidity on the roads.

I can assure you Scandinavia most people are anti-racist, and anti-homophobia.

The homophobes in Russian villages just hate anyone who isn't exactly like them, which is why you choose not to live there.

This is one of the most honest, considerate places you could live.
I don't claim to know all Scandinavians. However, having spent much time in our neighbor Karelia, hunting with my father and brothers, I've met plenty of Finns from across the border. They are just like us. They love to drink, love vodka, can outdrink some Russians, I'd say lol They are fun when drunk, sing, dance, laugh. Good people, good company
Old Jul 11th 2011, 03:41 PM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfandI, Finns are not Scandinavian, and both they and the Scandinavians get irritated when they are referred to as such.

There is not a problem between Scandinavians and Finns, but both sets of people find people's ignorance on this matter, irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Except for the fact that there are a lot of conservative Muslims out there who do happen to think it has a lot to do with Islam. Considering you're not Muslim, I will defer to them.
Well, it was an Imam who made me aware of the fact that it isn't Islamic at all. Bosnians and Azerbadzanians have been Islamic for many many centuries, but none of them would ever dream of wearing a burqa.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 03:51 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
I'll second that. In Islam and Orthodoxy too the headscarf stands for feminine modesty, maturity, and purity

But here in Russia it is a divisive question to be sure. Here is a poll from recent 'Open Studio' talk show episode on this issue

'Wearing of religious dress is:
28.8% Tradition
40.4% Threat to society
30.8% Unnecesary intrusion (into people's private lives, as in, none of your business why I wear a headscarf, I just like to, and that is my right)'

Recently, President Medvedev officially reaffirmed the 'inclusive school' principle, where religious students of whatever denomination can wear their traditional dress if they so choose

Medvedev, unlike Sarcosy, understands that religion is a big part of life for many people, especially in this country, and this must be respected.

Then again, Russia, unlike France, has lived through a dark period in its history, Leninist Communism, when religious people and clergy were slughtered and repressed, churches, mosques, synagogues, and Buddhist temples desecrated and destroyed. Medvedev himself, he says, donated to the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour rebuilding project in the 90s. He understands how faith is important to our peoples.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 03:52 PM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfandI, Non-sequitor is not talking about headscarves, but about the BURQA!!!!!!!