Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Old May 6th 2011, 01:22 PM
Villager

Default Rep Boehner's Bonehead Moves

Please be patient, I'm a mite rusty at this.

I watched both "The Rachel Maddow Show" and "The Ed Show" last night for the first time in a long while and two of their segments absolutely PISSED ME OFF to the point where I have awakened from my slumber and am ready once again to take it to those righties...

The first video segment is about Boehner's refusal to Honor those brave Navy Seals that killed Osama no longer Forgotten.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...25123#42925123

and the second is about what he and the rest of his republican sheep did with YOUR tax dollars. That would be... Extend the Tax Subsidies to the OIL COMPANIES!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/

Thoughts?
Old May 6th 2011, 06:16 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Rep Boehner's Bonehead Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStripey1 View Post
Please be patient, I'm a mite rusty at this.

I watched both "The Rachel Maddow Show" and "The Ed Show" last night for the first time in a long while and two of their segments absolutely PISSED ME OFF to the point where I have awakened from my slumber and am ready once again to take it to those righties...

The first video segment is about Boehner's refusal to Honor those brave Navy Seals that killed Osama no longer Forgotten.

I was a bit surprised (but not shocked) that the Republican establishment has gone into full 'praise-Bush' mode upon the news of the death of OBL.

That being said, it is very much in keeping with everything the Republicans have been up to since Obama's election - that is to say, they are working like hell trying to prevent Obama from getting credit for anything at all.

Quote:
... and the second is about what he and the rest of his republican sheep did with YOUR tax dollars. That would be... Extend the Tax Subsidies to the OIL COMPANIES!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/

Thoughts?
Well that's pretty much standard Republican party policy. Robbing from the poor and giving to the rich. That's what they do.

I admit that US taxpayer subsidies going to the world's richest corporations is absolutely insane, but its been longstanding US government policy and not much different than a whole host of other similar subsidies the US government engages in (like subsidizing the 'private' healthcare insurance industry, or subsidizing R&D and giving the profits to private companies, etc.).
Old May 6th 2011, 07:15 PM
Villager

Here's something I'd like to ask the right wing establishment... it has two parts.

Who got the blame when Jimmy Carter's mission to rescue the Iran hostages failed? Jimmy Carter or the troops?

Who should get the credit for killing Osama bush forgot Him? Obama or the troops.

I would be willing to bet that they would answer Jimmy Carter to the first and the troops to the second. But observing their flawed logic about why would be interesting to say the least...
Old May 6th 2011, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I would be willing to bet that they would answer Jimmy Carter to the first and the troops to the second. But observing their flawed logic about why would be interesting to say the least...
I wouldn't take that bet! Though I do agree that the flawed logic could be quite entertaining if it wasn't delivered with the usual bile.
Old May 6th 2011, 08:13 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I wouldn't take that bet! Though I do agree that the flawed logic could be quite entertaining if it wasn't delivered with the usual bile.
Back when I used to forum a lot, when confronted with facts, most righties would resort to parroting the opinions of those that told them what to think. When confronted with logic, they resorted to insults.

Has that changed any in the last 2 years?

OBTW< please pardon me if I slip in and out of topic as I've been away from the game and I'm a mite rusty...
Old May 6th 2011, 09:37 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:

If the House leadership really has decided to stop bringing up commemorative resolutions, I don't find it too shocking that they didn't bring up this one.
2 Timothy 2:23
Old May 10th 2011, 08:19 AM
Citizen

The mission itself went to crap due to a variety of factors, none of which can be reasonably blamed on Carter.

I suspect the reason Carter caught a lot of heat was not for the actual events of the raid, but rather for leaving the hostages to be abused for well over a year before taking action.

That the hostages were held for over a year and subjected to horrific abuses during that time is a part of Carter's legacy that he cannot escape.

If anyone doubts the abuses the hostages suffered during their captivity, I'd recommend reading Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden. The book does have some nationalistic bent in places, but the depictions of the mistreatment of the hostages are based on interviews and seem to be credible.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old May 10th 2011, 08:22 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Back when I used to forum a lot, when confronted with facts, most righties would resort to parroting the opinions of those that told them what to think. When confronted with logic, they resorted to insults.

Has that changed any in the last 2 years?

OBTW< please pardon me if I slip in and out of topic as I've been away from the game and I'm a mite rusty...
You'll find plenty of left leaning posters on various forums doing the same. Parroting HuffPo and the like and resorting to name calling when challenged.

This is the sorry state of political discourse among Americans today.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old May 10th 2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dot View Post
The mission itself went to crap due to a variety of factors, none of which can be reasonably blamed on Carter.

I suspect the reason Carter caught a lot of heat was not for the actual events of the raid, but rather for leaving the hostages to be abused for well over a year before taking action.

That the hostages were held for over a year and subjected to horrific abuses during that time is a part of Carter's legacy that he cannot escape.
Agreed.

Pretty much the same as the present case with Obama. The success or failure of the mission would have little to do with the Chief Executive who signed the order giving permission for the operation.

Blame (or success) would be entirely defined by US domestic politics, as it always is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dot View Post
If anyone doubts the abuses the hostages suffered during their captivity, I'd recommend reading Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden. The book does have some nationalistic bent in places, but the depictions of the mistreatment of the hostages are based on interviews and seem to be credible.
I can't imagine anyone has any delusions about Iranian treatment of prisoners or hostages.

Indeed, given recent events, I doubt if anyone has any delusions about American treatment of political prisoners either.

The similarity is striking.
Old May 12th 2011, 03:29 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
If the House leadership really has decided to stop bringing up commemorative resolutions, I don't find it too shocking that they didn't bring up this one.
I do, hence the reason why I started the topic. Considering how often the republicans wrap themselves in the flag and call on the spectre of 9/11, I find it abominable that they are refusing to honor those that killed Osama bush forgot ALL about Him.

But you know why they are refusing don't you? It's because if they did pass the resolution, they would have to acknowledge that president Obama did in two years what they were unable to do in seven.