Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > News & Current Events

News & Current Events What's in the news? What's going on in your part of the world?

Old Mar 25th 2011, 01:00 PM
Globetrotter

Default Putin and Medvedev's new limos

People here griped a long time about our leaders riding in foreign vehicles, such as Mercedes S600 Pullman that Medvedev and Putin both use

Today, they both want to be seen as patriotic, to increase their popularity ratings.

So, it has been decided, the President and the Premier have ordered new limos, from ZIL, the company that once manufactured limousines for Soviet leaders

Svyatoslav Saakian's design studio at ZIL has been tasked with creating an armored vehicle for the leaders.

This is the final design, that is to be produced, apparently:

Gallery here: http://auto.vesti.ru/gallery.html?id..._id=388843&p=1

Original link: http://auto.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=343132

In the comments section we see how controversial it is, some people say it is about time they started using Russian-made vehicles; others complain Saakian and other ZIL designers are 'trapped in the 70s' with the square, tank-like design, that it looks like a 'freak' or 'monster' and it will be embarrassing for Medvedev or Putin to park this thing next to any Western or other leaders lol

I don't know... I think it looks okay. Anyway, thanks for the 'birthday cake'.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Putin and Medvedev's new limos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
In the comments section we see how controversial it is, some people say it is about time they started using Russian-made vehicles; others complain Saakian and other ZIL designers are 'trapped in the 70s' with the square, tank-like design, that it looks like a 'freak' or 'monster' and it will be embarrassing for Medvedev or Putin to park this thing next to any Western or other leaders lol

I don't know... I think it looks okay. Anyway, thanks for the 'birthday cake'.
I agree that if Russia builds cars, then the President ought to be driving around in a Russian made car. Those cars aren't all that ugly - considering that most armored limos aren't pretty to begin with.

As for your birthday cake, I set up the forum software to sendsa "happy birthday" message to all members on their birthdays. I also added an event to the software to display the birthday cake!

So Happy Birthday to you!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 02:20 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Ehhh. They don't look that bad. They ARE a tank, after all. What do they want them to look like? They do have that "retro" look, but that's not always a bad thing. It seems like they trying to evoke the good old days of the USSR in some ways too.

This is what our President rides around in.

Old Mar 31st 2011, 01:56 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I agree that if Russia builds cars, then the President ought to be driving around in a Russian made car. Those cars aren't all that ugly - considering that most armored limos aren't pretty to begin with.

As for your birthday cake, I set up the forum software to sendsa "happy birthday" message to all members on their birthdays. I also added an event to the software to display the birthday cake!

So Happy Birthday to you!
Well, what happened is, they've both been telling people to buy Russian cars, like Ladas, to 'support our native automakers', rather than foreign ones. They are trying to reestablish the Russian auto-industry. The fact is, besides a few exceptions, the quality of Russian automobile industry product usually is, shall we say, not the best. A friend of mine bought a brand new Lada Kalina last month

Almost killed himself: soon as he drove out of the factory gates in Tolyatti, where he purchased it, he realized the brakes were not working. Literally, he slammed on the pedal, but the Kalina kept on going. Crashed into a fence, the factory, to avoid a costly court fight just gave him a new Kalina for free, which they specifically checked and tested for any problems with brakes, and that's that. But, that is VAZ, the concern that makes Ladas, and that's actually the biggest and best automaker in Russia.

Well, the government now has increased greatly tariffs and other fees to bring in foreign cars, to force people to buy Russian cars.

Many were angry, they said, the Tandem are acting like hypocrites, themselves ride in German Mercs, while demanding the population only buy local. Now they have to show they are with the people lol Putin even drove a Lada Niva SUV on a tour down the Trans-Siberian magistral (highway) back in '09

Of course, I doubt anything made for him would have break problems

And thanks for the happy birthday.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:49 AM
Globetrotter

After the Benz they're going to be sadly disappointed with anything else. Since it is for a necessary image, their political instincts will rationalize the change.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
After the Benz they're going to be sadly disappointed with anything else. Since it is for a necessary image, their political instincts will rationalize the change.
If I had big money, it would be nothing but a Rolls. Makes a Benz look like an cheap economy car.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 08:18 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
If I had big money, it would be nothing but a Rolls. Makes a Benz look like an cheap economy car.
They've certainly improved since BMW took them over. Aside from a couple of pure race cars and early Land Rovers, England has never been known for producing top automobiles.