Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Oct 19th 2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Do sub-atomic particles have free will?

Quote:
Human free will might seem like the squishiest of philosophical subjects, way beyond the realm of mathematical demonstration. But two highly regarded Princeton mathematicians, John Conway and Simon Kochen, claim to have proven that if humans have even the tiniest amount of free will, then atoms themselves must also behave unpredictably.

The finding won’t give many physicists a moment’s worry, because traditional interpretations of quantum mechanics embrace unpredictability already. The best anyone can hope to do, quantum theory says, is predict the probability that a particle will behave in a certain way.

But physicists all the way back to Einstein have been unhappy with this idea. Einstein famously grumped, “God does not play dice.” And indeed, ever since the birth of quantum mechanics, some physicists have offered alternate interpretations of its equations that aim to get rid of this indeterminism. The most famous alternative is attributed to the physicist David Bohm, who argued in the 1950s that the behavior of subatomic particles is entirely determined by “hidden variables” that cannot be observed.
Do sub-atomic particles have free will?

I had a hard time deciding whether to put this under "Science" or "Philosophy".

I'm curious what our math friends might think of this. Personally, I'm still thinking this one through...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Do sub-atomic particles have free will?

Here are some recovered posts for this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick
A similar question would be : Is a brick happy or sad?
In other words, it's an anthropomorphic question and thus meaningless. Even without hitting the link, I know with absolute certainty that the scientists in question never put it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMadsen
But the mason might.
Quote:
Quote:
But the mason might.
True, but neither is the mason made of brick nor is he on the same level of complexity. One needs consciousness to have free will (unless that term needs a definition in this context) and neither bricks nor subatomic particles have the organizational complexity to achieve that.

Your left arm in itself doesn't have free will either. It's entirely dictated by nerve messages.
Quote:
Yes, the term free will is in dire need of a definition if it is to be applied to what is being implied here
Quote:
The responsability therefore lies with the thread starter of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Well, if humans have free will and sub-atomic particles have free will, then this thread has free will too!

We can let it change itself then!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Well, if humans have free will and sub-atomic particles have free will, then this thread has free will too!

We can let it change itself then!
Good pun, but no dodging allowed. So, would you actually consider whether sub-atomic particles have free will and in that case, what definition of free will are you using ?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:54 AM
Official Forum Geek

My natural inclination is to say that any free will that humans might possess would result directly from unpredictable quantum behavior (if it turns out to be, in fact).

I've often wondered whether a valid TOE might expand the mathematical framework in such a way that we no longer see "quantum weirdness". That is, we currently don't know whether Shroedinger's poor cat is alive or dead, so the math says that it is both. Perhaps, down the line, we'll abstract the mathematical framework and be able to give a definitive answer. The abstract framework will render the box transparent... maybe.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 02:22 PM
Official Forum Mascot

They don't have to have free will to operate in absolute unpredictable randomness, right?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 02:29 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
They don't have to have free will to operate in absolute unpredictable randomness, right?
I'm not really a believer in the idea of free will, per se, bit I think the answer to your question is "no" (and begs the more philosophical question of what "will" is).
Old Nov 6th 2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

In reply to Dominick's question - and drgoodtrips' point about 'will', I don't think it is reasonable to posit 'will' without consciousness. 'Will' seems to require a conscious choice to be available - I don't think atoms or molecules can demonstrate some choice that isn't 'rule-driven' or apparently random.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 01:23 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
In reply to Dominick's question - and drgoodtrips' point about 'will', I don't think it is reasonable to posit 'will' without consciousness. 'Will' seems to require a conscious choice to be available - I don't think atoms or molecules can demonstrate some choice that isn't 'rule-driven' or apparently random.
But apparent randomness could have some serious implications in the determinism discussion, could it not?

I'm still a rookie at this stuff, but it could be that randomness of particles is a strike in favor of free will?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 01:55 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
But apparent randomness could have some serious implications in the determinism discussion, could it not?

I'm still a rookie at this stuff, but it could be that randomness of particles is a strike in favor of free will?
In human free will? I would think that would just make humans at the mercy of the "whims" of the particles.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 05:46 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
In human free will? I would think that would just make humans at the mercy of the "whims" of the particles.
And?

I mean, aren't we at the mercy of the "whims" of particles?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 05:15 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
I agree with SMadsen. And?
What is consciousness? What connotates whims? All arguments resolve to our perception that humans are uniquely endowed - special. We don't know this to be true at all. In fact, historically, we have been wrong in making such assumptions more often than not. Why then should we place any confidence in such a prediction again?

For instance, we supposed that a god created humans to be specially endowed and thus entitled to special dispensation over other life forms.

Then we began to discover that some animals were a little more special than we thought.

Then Darwin came along and we began to view ourselves as somewhat less special and perhaps driven by nature.

Then Watson and Crick came along and we began to see ourselves as products of genetics specifically and driven by genes that replicate and live on when we're dead. Wow. Not really very special in comparison.

And what makes up our genes? And what makes atoms? And what makes neutrons, protons and electrons?

Free will? Yeah. I think when we figure out what that means, we'll figure out that it isn't our unique gift either.

Michael, awesome thread!