Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

View Poll Results: What style of houses do you like best?
Contemporary or Modern style 2 20.00%
Gothic or Victorian style 2 20.00%
Neoclassical style 3 30.00%
Baroque style 0 0%
All of the above 2 20.00%
I don't like any of these styles 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 21st 2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Architectural Styles of Houses

What style of architecture do you like best for houses?

I'm just curious about what people think about architecture - I figure the topic of houses is a good one since everyone tends to have an opinion about houses.

Anyway, here's a sampling of the most basic architectural housing styles. I tried to find pictures that were relatively good illustrative examples of each style.

1. Contemporary/Modern

2. Gothic Revival (aka Victorian)

3. Neoclassical

4. Baroque (not really practical for modest houses)

Old Jan 21st 2012, 08:03 PM
Official Forum Geek

Default Re: Architectural Styles of Houses

I think I'd go with neoclassical, personally (based only on the pictures - I know little about architecture besides taking a Frank Lloyd Wright tour a few months back). Generally speak, I find myself liking brick and wood as external materials and prefer house interiors with wooden/stone feels.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 08:36 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Neoclassical
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:45 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Log cabin - seriously. I'd could also go with Yurt or adobe but the climate is my ultimate decider. I've become very practical about these things as I've become attuned to how much energy is required to heat a given space. A yurt is probably the most comfortable structure I've lived in.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Log cabin - seriously. I'd could also go with Yurt or adobe but the climate is my ultimate decider. I've become very practical about these things as I've become attuned to how much energy is required to heat a given space. A yurt is probably the most comfortable structure I've lived in.
No doubt about it, small one-room structures are by far the most energy efficient.

I kinda lean towards the baroque model though. If I had the money, I'd be living in something ludicrously large and ornate.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:18 PM
Globetrotter

I agree with Greendruid. I like wooden houses too. Maybe it is my Old Orthodox childhood

I do not know lol

My people do tend to live in traditional wooden houses

probably because those are the materials one commonaly finds where they live.

Lately, the government tried to move some Old Orthodox families in the Far East into regular, brick apartment buildings.

Most do not like it, those I've talked to, it does not feel natural for them.

I think there is some sort of attachment between my people and wood, especially cedar and oak. Even here in Moscow, at our main community center

much of those types of wood was used to cover the outer walls.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:43 PM
Official Forum Mascot

And where does your standard "cape cod" fall into this?

Anyway, from your samples I prefer the neoclassical. I love brick houses. Our dream is to buy a big old warehouse and convert it into an epic abode.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
And where does your standard "cape cod" fall into this?
It is one of the many, many variants of gothic revival style. The vast majority of older houses in the USA is gothic revival - though there is lots of neoclassical out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Anyway, from your samples I prefer the neoclassical. I love brick houses. Our dream is to buy a big old warehouse and convert it into an epic abode.
Neoclassical isn't necessarily brick.

The White House and Capitol Building are famous examples of neoclassical style (though the Capitol has strong baroque elements fitting for the type of building it is).
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I suppose I should have given the basic typology in words to go with the types shown in the pictures.

Gothic revivial is a style marked by steep or pitched rooflines, turrets, gables, dormers, towers and 'gingerbread'. Gothic buildings are almost never symmetrical. Variations on the theme include Victorian or Edwardian style. The majority of old farm houses as well as older urban housing is almost all some form of Gothic revival style which is highly stuited to northern climates (steep roofs for snow).

Neoclassical is a style defined by symmetry, formality, straight lines, classical proportions and is always well ordered. It is often defined by the use of pillars and columns. Variations on the theme include Adams style, Georgian colonial style and Regency style. I think most southern plantation style houses also fall into the neoclassical family. Neoclassical buildings always have very low-pitched or flat roofs. This makes them more suited to southern climates with less snow.

Baroque style is a grand or epic style designed to impress. It is usually symmetrical and always has a strong central mass (the grand entry) usually with wings off to the sides. Formal gardens, statuary and courtyards are necessary - fountains are optional!

Contemporary/Modern style marks a break from all traditional styles of architecture because of new technology and materials make new forms of construction possible. Modernism is noted for a plain facade stripped of ornamentation and the usage of modern materials (glass, concrete & steel rather than wood, brick or stone). Contemporary style is the attempt to blend gothic with modernist style and is particularly popular in modern suburbia. I should have separated this category from the beginning. The photo originally posted is clearly 'modernist'.

Here's a good example of contemporary style:

As you can see, it looks vaguely gothic style with that pitched roof, but the roofline is clean and there is no gothic ornamentation at all - but this house falls into the 'modern' style group rather than the gothic.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 01:49 PM
Official Forum Mascot

In that case I reckon I lean more toward Gothic. Though my heart still lies with converted industrial space.