Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Old Sep 20th 2015, 02:40 PM
Globetrotter

Default Moscow Metro gets a public toilet

Quote:
Moscow Metro Gets First Public Toilet

• The Moscow Times
  • Sep. 20 2015 16:55
  • Last edited 16:55

A. Astakhova / VedomostiThe toilet was supposed to be unveiled on Moscow's City Day holiday two weeks ago, but that deadline was missed.
The Moscow metro has opened its first ever public toilet, the Russian News Service reported on Friday.
The toilet is located in the Prospekt Mira metro station on the Circle Line. A Troika public transport card is needed to access the toilet, though its use is free.
The head of a website devoted to the subject of public toilets, Vladimir Priorov, told local news site The Village that the Moscow metro's usual response to inquiries about the lack of toilets is that they would violate sanitation standards in the metro.
No explanation was given explaining the sudden change of heart, but Russian News Service reported that the toilet was modeled on those found in other subway systems around the world.
Children under the age of 12 cannot use the toilet, which resembles those found on airplanes, without a supervising adult, the report said. The entrance to the toilet is under video surveillance, and the maximum period of use is 10 minutes — though it was not immediately clear how this would be enforced.
The toilet was supposed to be unveiled on Moscow's City Day holiday two weeks ago, but that deadline was missed, Russian News Service reported.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/busine...et/531822.html

Video of the new toilet room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frcc5CYg8uk

As it shows and the article mentions, you need a Troika transit fare card

to access the facility. There will also be a member of staff on duty near the bathroom, to prevent any vandalism or abuse. You can only be locked inside it for 15 minutes at a time, after - the doors unlock automatically and anybody else with a Troika card can walk in on you
http://www.ntv.ru/novosti/1527938/

All this, I think, is to address the concerns of Metro administration that a public washroom at stations would attract homeless and such. They only want respectable paying passengers using it There are also security concerns, what with the several high casualty terrorist attacks in the Metro in last couple decades. Hence the camera aimed at it and such. So nobody leaves a bomb inside or something.

If this one prototype trail goes well, such toilet rooms will appear at other major stations.

I must say though, leave it to a Russian manufacturer to make a damned toilet facility resemble a prison cell

Old Sep 21st 2015, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Moscow Metro gets a public toilet

Holy fuck - only in Russia!

Forgive me, but I foolishly assumed that every subway station in the world had public washrooms - everywhere except Russia I guess!
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 08:11 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Holy fuck - only in Russia!

Forgive me, but I foolishly assumed that every subway station in the world had public washrooms - everywhere except Russia I guess!
Again, it is because of terrorist threats, mostly. They did not want a space at stations where a bag full of explosives could be secretly left...
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Again, it is because of terrorist threats, mostly. They did not want a space at stations where a bag full of explosives could be secretly left...
But the Moscow subway system was probably built half a century ago by the Soviets. I can't imagine that they were afraid of mysterious bombs at that time.

The first wave of actual terrorism (as it is presently defined) began in the 1970's (as long as we ignore the Zionist/Jewish terrorism which has a much longer history).