Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Egypt bans Muslim Brotherhood

Quote:
Egypt Bans Muslim Brotherhood, Orders Its Assets Confiscated

CAIRO (AP) -- An Egyptian court on Monday ordered the Muslim Brotherhood to be banned and its assets confiscated in a dramatic escalation of a crackdown by the military-backed government against supporters of the ousted Islamist president Mohammed Morsi.

The ruling opens the door for a wider crackdown on the vast network of the Brotherhood, which includes social organizations that have been key for building the group's grassroots support and helping its election victories. The verdict banned the group itself -- including the official association it registered under earlier this year -- as well as "any institution branching out of it or ... receiving financial support from it," according to the court ruling, made public on Egypt's state official news agency MENA.

The judge at the Cairo Court for Urgent Matters also ordered the "confiscation of all the group's money, assets, and buildings" and said that an independent committee should be formed by the Cabinet to manage the money until final court orders are issued. The verdict can be appealed.

The Brotherhood was outlawed for most of its 85 years in existence. But after the 2011 ouster of autocrat Hosni Mubarak, it was allowed to work openly, formed a political party and rose to power in a string of post-Mubarak elections. In March, it registered as a recognized non-governmental organization.

"This is totalitarian decision," leading group member Ibrahim Moneir said in an interview with Qatari-based Al-Jazeera Mubashir Misr TV. "You are losers and it (the Brotherhood) will remain with God's help, not by the orders by the judiciary of el-Sissi," he added, referring to military chief Gen. Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, who led the overthrow of Morsi on July 3.

The court did not immediately make public the grounds for its ruling. The verdict came in a suit raised by lawyers from the leftist party Tagammu party, accusing the Brotherhood of being a "terrorist" and "exploiting religion in political slogans." Several other courts are looking into similar suits.
Source

Wow. Looks like we won't have to wait long to find out who is the new American-backed Egyptian dictator.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:19 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Egypt bans Muslim Brotherhood

Well this should end well.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:46 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Egypt bans Muslim Brotherhood
I smell trouble. Big trouble.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:47 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Well this should end well.
That's one way of putting it.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:37 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Maybe this quote by anarchist feminist Emma Goldman bears repeating because it's such a perfect example:

"If elections could change anything they would ban them."

The words:

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

were on the Ministry of Truth building in Orwell's 1984.

Imho they should be on the Pentagon, State Dept buildings, and all other federal buildings around Washington, DC and Langley, but instead of "Ignorance is Strength," I'd rather see "Ignorance is Knowledge," since the powers-that-be would like to shut up Manning, Snowden, and Assange with regard to what the NSA and other secret police are doing, and have us just accept their public relations Kool-Aid as knowledge.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Maybe this quote by anarchist feminist Emma Goldman bears repeating because it's such a perfect example:

"If elections could change anything they would ban them."
The Egyptian election DID change things. That's why elections are being banned in Egypt.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 08:19 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The Egyptian election DID change things. That's why elections are being banned in Egypt.
Yes, I agree. The grip of the military was being weakened, so the generals stepped back in and banned the elected party, whether with the acquiescence or active support of CENTCOM I can only speculate, since I can't speak for you, but I'm unwilling to accept anything the State Dept says at face value because they've burned us so many times before. Maybe one day someone like Assange, Manning, or Snowden will have more info for us that corroborates or discredits the State Dept/Pentagon (Ministry of Truth) version.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 09:24 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Yes, I agree. The grip of the military was being weakened, so the generals stepped back in and banned the elected party, whether with the acquiescence or active support of CENTCOM I can only speculate, since I can't speak for you, but I'm unwilling to accept anything the State Dept says at face value because they've burned us so many times before. Maybe one day someone like Assange, Manning, or Snowden will have more info for us that corroborates or discredits the State Dept/Pentagon (Ministry of Truth) version.
I find it difficult understanding how formally educated adults (forget the masses) can believe anything is going to change (anywhere) without violent revolution and all that ever changes (sometimes) is the power base. Same human nature, same greed, same wealth concentration, same class distinctions. Utopian desire/demand for equality most often resembles religious gotta have faith in the supernatural.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 03:22 AM
Globetrotter

It does seem odd to ban a party which won the general election.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 04:43 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I find it difficult understanding how formally educated adults (forget the masses) can believe anything is going to change (anywhere) without violent revolution and all that ever changes (sometimes) is the power base. Same human nature, same greed, same wealth concentration, same class distinctions. Utopian desire/demand for equality most often resembles religious gotta have faith in the supernatural.
Well, plenty of things have changed over the years - about half of Europe's population goes to university now for example. That's quite a change from 100 years ago. Do you ascribe that example to violence?