Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:28 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Google OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
These are called "Netbooks" and they've been around for a bit (at least in concept):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

Besides being small, portable, and low on bells and whistles in terms of software, they also seem generally focussed on minimizing the hardware. Today's processor/disk/memory standards in your average PC are drastic overkill for what most computer users want (though necessary for running Windows, which I think smells like collaborative gouging between Microsoft and computer OEMs). I have 10 year old computers that can work perfectly well for internet browsing, email checking, social networking sites, etc. In addition to cutting down on those expensive components, the compact netbooks also (generally, I think) do not feature disk drives, floppy drives, or sometimes even USB device support. They come off the shelves as "dumb terminals".

Microsoft recently shot themselves in the nuts with early adopters in this market. They touted a netbook version of Windows 7 and casually mentioned that users would only be allowed to run something like 3 applications simultaneously. This was ostensibly to prevent users from overtaxing the netbook hardware, though I rather think the idea was to offer a nearly free version of the OS with just enough features to convince you that you needed to shell out more money to run more software, ala the regular and "premium" versions of downloadable software.

I believe they have since backed away from this approach.
It sounds to me like MS has made a bad call. In their effort to avoid dilution of Win7 revenue, they're seemingly ignoring what has to be the largest potential global market, cheap netbooks.

I've read a couple of articles stating the corporate world is resisting blanket adoption of win7 on the grounds of if it ain't broke don't fix (replace) it and staying with XP.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:55 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
It sounds to me like MS has made a bad call. In their effort to avoid dilution of Win7 revenue, they're seemingly ignoring what has to be the largest potential global market, cheap netbooks.

I've read a couple of articles stating the corporate world is resisting blanket adoption of win7 on the grounds of if it ain't broke don't fix (replace) it and staying with XP.
From having my fingers on the pulse of tech sites and IT contacts, I'd say you're right. I don't think very many companies at all have adoption policies regarding Windows 7. I think their problem was they let XP be the standard for so long that it gave corporate America all sorts of time to develop applications that became very specific and coupled to XP. The longer you let people get used to the same OS, the more headaches they'll have upgrading.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
From having my fingers on the pulse of tech sites and IT contacts, I'd say you're right. I don't think very many companies at all have adoption policies regarding Windows 7. I think their problem was they let XP be the standard for so long that it gave corporate America all sorts of time to develop applications that became very specific and coupled to XP. The longer you let people get used to the same OS, the more headaches they'll have upgrading.
And the more time they have to discover that the 'need' to upgrade is primarily driven by the IT industry's need to for revenue, rather than any benefit to the user.

I (and many of my friends) were running Win98v2 right up until last year, then switched to XP. I expect to stay with XP for the next decade.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:24 AM
Globetrotter

As an individual my software requirements are very basic and I have no desire to upgrade from XP. I'm still using Office 2000 and about all I ever upgrade is imaging software. I did skip the last upgrade of Corel's Paint Shop Pro as when doing a features comparison I couldn't determine any new benefits. Fortunately the camera manufacturers upgrade their proprietary imaging software for free.

If Microsoft doesn't get the desktop/laptop OEM resellers in their clutches imo they could have another Vista on their hands.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:36 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Considering depressed earnings, from a management viewpoint the IT labor required for an OS upgrade and the resulting headaches has to be a serious consideration.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 03:57 AM
Villager

I heard tell that Google were to release their own operation system based on a linux platform and have found various places on the internet claiming this, including a blog but there seems to be no further news since July 8th 2009. Does anyone have later news on this development, I an a linux fan and would love to know if and when this is going to be available?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 05:24 PM
Official Forum Geek

Not a lot of news of late on the tech sites that I monitor.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 06:15 PM
Official Forum Mascot

I'd like to know if it will work better than the ubuntu netbook remix I have on my acer netbook. There have been mic/audio issues and flash problems which I haven't really quite fixed.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 06:41 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I'd like to know if it will work better than the ubuntu netbook remix I have on my acer netbook. There have been mic/audio issues and flash problems which I haven't really quite fixed.
I wouldn't bet on that for a good while. I believe the initial offering is mainly aimed at mobile devices, and that they intend to spread into the computer market from there.

The google OS is going to be based on the Linux kernel, AFAIK, but then they are going to write their own desktop manager and UI. What this means for you is that the part of the OS that manages hardware, schedules processes, and other things you don't care about will be like Linux, but the part that you interact with is going to be brand-spanking new. Any, any new software is going to have kinks to work through.

(I'm not sure how they'll handle drivers, though, and that appears to be what your current issue is)
Old Oct 7th 2009, 07:00 PM
Globetrotter

Not to hijack the thread, but could someone recommend a Linux distribution best suited for an average (non-gamer) desktop user? I see 55 different offerings on the Linux homepage.