Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:14 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Eleven-Year-Old Kid Writes Malware

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Yeah, agreed. In my last post I made a brief comment about Bill Gates being an odd person to hold up as some kind of technical titan, but he and Steve Jobs are often cited in the world at large as just that. The Steve Wozniaks and Linus Torvalds of the world tend more to be historical footnotes whereas opportunistic and clever people with more than a little bit of a ruthless and competitive streak in them (i.e. Gates and Jobs) grab the headlines, cash and general spoils of war.

An 11 year old kid who engineers a scam like this probably has a bright future in politics or boardrooms if he can strike the right balance between stepping on people to get what he wants and not getting in trouble. This incident might prove one of the more valuable learning experiences he'll have.

High stakes and highly competitive callings are routinely populated by people with psychopathic tendencies, I think.
Reduced fear, a lack of empathy and stress tolerance are often confused with antisocial personalities. When in Rome......
Old Feb 13th 2013, 01:30 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
If he's a prodigy, which was the premise, then I'd expect demonstration of intuitive understanding of algorithmic principles. You wouldn't call an 11 year old a math genius because he had memorized the quadratic formula and you also wouldn't tell someone who called him a genius "give him a break -- he's 11." I mean, good for him, but if he's a genius, this ain't the evidence.

As an aside, Bill Gates is an odd choice for someone to hold up as a paragon of programming sophistication.
1) I didn't see him as a prodigy, but clever enough to write a program at 11.

2) it was the first name to come to mind.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 03:10 PM
Globetrotter

The kid's one thing but I have an issue with his 'victims' too.
Seriously, how gullible can you be ? It's the equivalent of a pop-up that says 'Nigerian Prince donates Millions'. 'Just enter your credit card data and become a beneficiary'.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:19 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Seriously, how gullible can you be ? It's the equivalent of a pop-up that says 'Nigerian Prince donates Millions'. 'Just enter your credit card data and become a beneficiary'.
Those 'victims' have already discovered they can vote themselves supposedly free public benefits provided with credit by supporting specific politicians. Why wouldn't that level of entitlement mentality encompass scam offers of something for nothing with the same I deserve it perspective?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 06:46 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
McDonalds is required by law to print warning messages on coffee cups saying "coffee may be hot".

That is to say, the world is filled with gullible morons.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 06:54 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Reduced fear, a lack of empathy and stress tolerance are often confused with antisocial personalities. When in Rome......
What's the difference between psychopaths and antisocial personalities? My understanding is that these are largely described by the same symptoms and behaviors.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 06:55 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
1) I didn't see him as a prodigy, but clever enough to write a program at 11.
That's as may be, but my post was a reply to what Americano said rather than what you saw.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:03 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
What's the difference between psychopaths and antisocial personalities? My understanding is that these are largely described by the same symptoms and behaviors.
Normally, violence.

Descriptive traits attributed to any personality aren't inclusive behavior. I mentioned some of the antisocial examples most often required for commercial success in commerce and other competitive endeavors. I wouldn't consider them psychopathic behavior but I'm an amateur. Truly nice guys/gals do normally finish in a mediocre or last position.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:44 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
McDonalds is required by law to print warning messages on coffee cups saying "coffee may be hot".

That is to say, the world is filled with gullible morons.
Sure, I know, but there's a boundary somewhere at some point beyond which one would have to be able to say "okay, you're on your own with this one, no one is forced to take into account such level of stupiditiy".
Old Feb 15th 2013, 01:02 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Normally, violence.

Descriptive traits attributed to any personality aren't inclusive behavior. I mentioned some of the antisocial examples most often required for commercial success in commerce and other competitive endeavors. I wouldn't consider them psychopathic behavior but I'm an amateur. Truly nice guys/gals do normally finish in a mediocre or last position.
A lack of empathy is always indicative of a personality disorder. That's pretty logical in a social species such as mankind. The possibilities are at least ; anti-social personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder and there's a whole plethora of more technical ones such as autism, Asperger, and similar.