Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Dec 13th 2012, 02:04 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: The decline of microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Everything I've read says tablets are incapable of running an Excel spreadsheet with any degree of complexity, to say nothing of the screen area reading inconvenience. Since Office, Excel in particular, holds over 90% of that market on an international basis and is used for virtually every management data function, I'd think giving employees tablets who already have desktops and notebooks is rather counter-productive and wasteful.
You are wrong. it can run excel. there's already apple's own spread sheet alternative on the iPad and Microsoft plans to release its own Office software on the iPad next year.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 02:05 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
Show me Borderlands 2 on an iPad.
right, there isn't even Diablo 1 there. But... that doesn't matter. People want more lighter weight games. Borderlands 2 is for core gamers. that's not everyone.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 02:14 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
As to the money making angle regarding app development for phones, it's rather sweatshop like in general. I just listened to an interesting talk recently about the unsustainable problem with economics of app store development (i.e. that you're squeezed on one side by the fact that there's a free alternative to everything you do and on the other side by costs). I don't have access to that talk, but this article, titled "iPhone Economics: It's Bad News and then it Gets Worse," breaks it down rather relentlessly by the numbers:

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...ets-worse.html

It isn't a matter of how cool the devices are or who makes them or anything else, but rather that it's hard to get decent margins in any market when most of the populace expects shit for free and it would be considered borderline insulting ever to ask for more than $5.

And to bring this all back to the original idea, that Microsoft is somehow in trouble, well that could be true, but Microsoft isn't going anywhere for a while. Microsoft is still prohibitively in the lead in line of business applications and the corporate ecosystems with Java running a second overall (and a first in some spaces in the enterprise). The only real inroads Apple has made here is in the consumer devices executives use to check their email while jogging on the treadmill.

A lot of this is by Apple's own design as a consumer gadget company and not an IT partner. It doesn't want to help companies with their email infrastructure needs anymore than Firaxis or EA do. So while these companies may clash as one tries to drink the others' milkshake, they're not really directly competing in anything of note. Apple can make cute attempts to be the corporate gadget of the week just as Microsoft can make awkwardly pathetic attempts at gadgets like the Zune, but in the end, Microsoft makes boring, business-scaled system software and Apple makes highly specialized and polished tech toys.

You know what I have been growing quite fond of Microsoft technologies recently due to some of my musings with WCF, Linq and other microsoft technologies.

This said, I know of a lot of companies who have started to develop applications that are to run on iOS tablets for several sepcialized jobs. For example architects and people who have to be in the field while inspecting equipment (see engineers) need a device like the iPAD with specialized software. And then there are doctors as well who are already using tablets in hospitals. Those are willing to pay the heavy price for a full fledged application on the iPAD.

The second issue comes from your post. Apple has brought back the rage about heavy desktop, but this rage has not caught onto the PC. In the enterprise people are switching from the heavy desktop applications to more light weight web applications (light yet with ajax and browser rich applications).
The only place I see microsoft being useful in enterprise development is in cases where you have to have a desktop windows application, such as when you need your application to be able to run offline.

but this said the technology landscape is very fluid so you do have a point in what you are saying. And you are probably right with developers getting fed up with apple. If i haven't wanted to get a mac for so long, I wouldn't have bothered with learning objective C. There is more demand for android anyway.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 03:50 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
You are wrong. it can run excel. there's already apple's own spread sheet alternative on the iPad and Microsoft plans to release its own Office software on the iPad next year.
No. It may be able to pull up a basic spreadsheet, but it can't really run Excel.

I run spreadsheets that, when calculating, max out my quad core desktop. There's no way a tablet can handle that. Even my dual core laptop chokes for minutes on end.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 03:53 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
right, there isn't even Diablo 1 there. But... that doesn't matter. People want more lighter weight games. Borderlands 2 is for core gamers. that's not everyone.
Some people want lighter weight games.

Borderlands 2 has sold over 5 million units already.

The interface of a touchscreen-only tablet is extremely limiting. Games like XCom, Borderlands, Diablo, or even The Walking Dead or FTL would be painful to play, if even possible. Yes, there are some games on tablets, and some of them are fun, but to try to ring the death knell yet again for a different formfactor is just silly.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Indeed. Tell me how many 12-16yo boys have tablets for gaming.

That age segment RULES the gaming industry entirely.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 09:59 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Are we talking about spreadsheet function comparable to what now requires desktops or high-end laptops to run or abbreviated crap like household budgets? I'd think anyone who runs complicated spreadsheets on a tablet sized screen with limited resources would enjoy being whipped until their blood flows.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 01:23 AM
Villager

Quote:
So the question now is how long before microsoft becomes the minority platform?
A long long time if ever.
"It always remains a scandal of philosophy and universal human reason that the existence of things outside us ... should have to be assumed merely on faith, and that if it occurs to anyone to doubt it, we should be unable to answer him with a satisfactory proof."

~~~Kant
Old Dec 14th 2012, 01:13 PM
Globetrotter

When it comes to running spreadsheets, it can run the basics. As for a spreadsheets with thousands of records, that's what the cloud is for. You can use a good doc software to run your sheet on the cloud and use the power of cloud computing. That's even better than a PC.
In fact come to think of it when it comes to exploiting your spreadsheet, there is no better platform than an ipad. Same thing with reading documents. writing a document can be tricky, but there are attachments to the ipad to add a keyboard and then you can do what the pc does and more.

Now don't get me wrong, it can't replace the PC. But ignoring the iPAD is done at our peril.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 01:14 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Indeed. Tell me how many 12-16yo boys have tablets for gaming.

That age segment RULES the gaming industry entirely.
right... Core games won't be phased, but for the rest of the people. The more casual gamers, for example the 30 something who was thinking of buying a console. He might think again with the iPad or even with a good android or iphone.