Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Feb 26th 2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Belarus outsourcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Unskilled is by and large a euphemism used to justify sub-standard wages.
No it isn't.

Sub-standard wages are a function of supply and demand. The supply of unskilled labor is essentially unlimited - demand is always limited. Ergo, the price of unskilled labor is always going to be low.

Skilled labor is much more rare and much higher demand - therefore it has a much higher price.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:13 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
I am not talking about unskilled labor here. I am talking about programming work which requires some level of skill. The work that comes from these people is substandard. Now of course this might just be the company that I was working with. I remember in the past working with a belarusian developer in another company and he was doing some good work.

I think these people have potential. I think that if they get away from the russian influence and look more to the west, they will adopt western ways and work ethic and would be able to prosper. But right now, when people in the business world look to Belarus they think of cheap IT labor.
Many developing countries that haven't westernized are enjoying prosperity. From your post I'm inclined to think your recent experience had more to do with a poorly managed company than its location.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:37 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Many developing countries that haven't westernized are enjoying prosperity. From your post I'm inclined to think your recent experience had more to do with a poorly managed company than its location.
I don't think Belarus enjoys prosperity. It's per-capita income is half of lebanon's.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:05 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I don't think Belarus enjoys prosperity. It's per-capita income is half of lebanon's.
Per capita is less than half the story. What's the gini index? (Not that I think Belarus is a particularly jolly place, economically).

People tend to take a very western view toward economic prosperity.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:15 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Belarus PPP and economic growth is far higher than that of Lebanon. Here's a decent economic comparison of the two countries. Ideology is not a consideration in capital investment, government stability being the criterion.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Belarus PPP and economic growth is far higher than that of Lebanon. Here's a decent economic comparison of the two countries. Ideology is not a consideration in capital investment, government stability being the criterion.
Interesting to see the comparisions.

Lebanon at least wins the tourism comparision! I guess warm weather always trumps.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 09:35 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Interesting to see the comparisions.

Lebanon at least wins the tourism comparision! I guess warm weather always trumps.
There are reasons why Lebanon doesn't attract outside investment capital beyond service industries. Fiscally and politically its right in line with some of the floundering EU members. Using public debt to improve citizenry standard of living rather than infrastructure seems to be a common political failing in many democracies (US included). Lebanonís debt-to-GDP ratio is one of the highest in the world.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:40 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:

I don't trust those numbers.
Here are two links from the CIA world factbook about
Lebanon
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/le.html
and

Belarus
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/bo.html

These paint a very different story in both the PPP and the real per-capita income where Belarus is half of lebanon's.

The real growth rate has slowed down in lebanon in 2011 because of the Arab spring and the trouble in Syria, but once the dictator is overthrown we are likely to come back.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 09:47 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I don't trust those numbers.
Here are two links from the CIA world factbook about
Lebanon
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/le.html
and

Belarus
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/bo.html

These paint a very different story in both the PPP and the real per-capita income where Belarus is half of lebanon's.

The real growth rate has slowed down in lebanon in 2011 because of the Arab spring and the trouble in Syria, but once the dictator is overthrown we are likely to come back.
I guess we could argue data sources but that sounds boring.

What about the scary debt-to-GDP ratio and negative current account? Other than most countries using often ridiculous methodology to overstate GDP public debt is a matter of open, factual record. With a democratic political system dominated by diverse belief systems catering to a heavily unionized voting citizenry eager for improved standard of living, that, religion aside, sounds like Greece.

I'm certainly not trying to denigrate Lebanon, merely discuss its fiscal condition.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 03:32 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Belarus is so used to living at Russia's expense, with us selling them under-priced (nearly free) natural gas and oil, us handing them a $2 billion loan (with no repayment date), us supplying their military with free weapons, including missiles; etc; that they cannot do anything on their own. If we are not holding their hand and guiding them through it, they are blind and deaf and stupid on their own. Like a whiny, screaming infant, and Russia is like a tired, overworked, frustrated mother.
Putin must be very proud of having got a 10-million-people nation under his control.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Feb 28th 2012 at 03:35 AM.