Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Old Jan 21st 2014, 02:01 PM
Globetrotter

Default Family's house falling down because of Olympics!

Quote:

Olympic Construction Sins: The Leaning Houses of Sochi

By Benjamin Bidder in Sochi, Russia

Vladimir Putin promised the Olympics in Sochi would be as green as could be. Instead, the construction of facilities has had disastrous consequences for the environment, particularly for the residents of Baku Street, whose homes have become the victims of man-made erosion.

When Tigran Skiba, 52, leaves home in his delivery truck each morning to supply fresh bread throughout Sochi, he gets a view of the new sporting facilities: Fisht Olympic Stadium in the valley and the grand ice-skating palace, which shimmers in the moonlight like a pearl. It looks as if it's all right next door.

Oympia Park is located less than two kilometers away from Skiba's home. What worries him these days, though, is the fact that this distance isn't remaining constant. The space between his home and the stadium is decreasing, slowly but ever so surely. The hillside upon which his home is built is sliding down into the valley at a pace of 1.5 meters (nearly five feet) per year, Skiba claims.

Residents of Baku Street had long been puzzled by the erosion that was causing their homes to slide or lean. A thick forest begins just behind the home of Skiba's neighbors. Sometimes they collect firewood there. It's in this forest that they first discovered the reason for the landslide. Excavators there dug out a pit where trucks had been dumping rubble -- waste from the Olympic construction sites. "The garbage dump has altered the groundwater flow on the hill," says Vladimir Kimayev, a member of the group Environmental Watch. "That's why the homes are sliding."

The worst hit home is a multi-family structure located across the street from the Skibas. Over the course of a few months, the five-story building slid down the hill along Baku Street. Before it was torn down, it destroyed the wooden hut of a neighbor. Skiba says a five-story building should never have been allowed to be built in Baku Street. The construction company responsible for it, like so many in Sochi, had not obtained any official permits.

A Promise of 'Green Games'

Skiba says he invested around 62,000 ($84,400) in his house, money that came from savings, but also from "loans that still torment me today." The authorities approved the plans in 2010. He says they said a two-story building for two families would be no problem.

Today, when Skiba's grandchildren play in the living room, the ball always roles into the same corner. The earth movements have literally tilted the house, which now leans at four degrees -- the same slope gradient as the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Skiba has jacked up the refrigerator on one side with boards so that the compote his wife cooked won't spill out of the glasses.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-942803.html

Photos from the article:

Tigran Skiba (right) is a resident of Baku Street, which is located on a hill above the sporting facilities where the Winter Olympics will take place in Sochi. Here, he is seen standing in front of his house, which is leaning by four degrees.

Skiba has stuck boards beneath his refrigerator in order to ensure that it stands upright. Excavators dug out a huge pit behind his house to store debris from Olympic construction sites. It appears that the digging altered the flow of groundwater on the hill and is causing the homes of Skiba and others to slowly slide down the hill.

Skiba invested around 62,000 euros ($84,400) in his home, money that came from his savings and "loans that still torment me today," he says. Now it appears he will lose everything.

The Fischt Olympic Stadium and Olympic Park are located less than two kilometers (1.24 miles) away from Skiba's house.

For locals, those Games are more a curse than any sort of blessing...

People's movements are already greately restricted, fences, security cameras, and razor wire everywhere

Virtually every corner of the city is being watched

Police everywhere as well, will be over 40,000 on patrol during the Olympics

not counting military police, who are securing the airport and railway terminals, among other places

Also, rentgen gates that all vehuicles entering or exiting the city must pass through, as well as more at the entry points to Olympic objects

People themselevs will also have to pass all sorts of detectors and scanners

No cars or other vehicles with outside regions' number plates are allowed to enter the city. No mail or packages are permitted to be sent closed: all must be open, to be inspected by officials. Supposedly, FSB has already hackers intercepting every email and SMS message to and from Sochi, and are listening to everyone's telephones too.

And, during the Games, it will only be worse. For Muslim guest workers especially, there is now a curfew in place, they are not allowed to be on the streets at all, unless accompanied by a Russian, and must all leave before the Games.
http://fedpress.ru/news/society/news...-vveli-v-sochi

Reportedly, all locals will be confined to their homes for the duration of the Games. So, it is a choice between a month of house arrest, or getting out of the city, for most there.

Not a great life. They are patriotic though, despite everything, hanging out the national flags, for the Games

Old Jan 21st 2014, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Family's house falling down because of Olymp

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Living a city that is hosting an Olympics sucks real bad. I think that there are only a few things worse for a city than to be blighted with hosting an Olympic games.

I'm proud that the citizens/people of Toronto fought back hard against the city councillors in this city who constantly try to make Toronto Olympic host bids. Two bids have been shot down (including one where Toronto was alleged to have been the likely winner).
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 05:03 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Family's house falling down because of Olymp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Living a city that is hosting an Olympics sucks real bad. I think that there are only a few things worse for a city than to be blighted with hosting an Olympic games.

I'm proud that the citizens/people of Toronto fought back hard against the city councillors in this city who constantly try to make Toronto Olympic host bids. Two bids have been shot down (including one where Toronto was alleged to have been the likely winner).