Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Mar 24th 2010, 05:30 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Google in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Warren Buffet, other Americans and global corporations certainly have no qualms about widespread investment in China and accepting their parameters. Are they all, in your opinion, evil? Morality has a fluid definition dependent on individual perspective and purpose.
Short answer?

Yes, absolutely.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 08:12 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Short answer?

Yes, absolutely.
Given your ideological stance, I'd expect nothing less and admire your commitment.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Warren Buffet, other Americans and global corporations certainly have no qualms about widespread investment in China and accepting their parameters. Are they all, in your opinion, evil? Morality has a fluid definition dependent on individual perspective and purpose.
Warren Buffet, et al, did not publicly proclaim "do no evil" as their motto.

I think it is fair to judge people by their own standards. Google was the one who proclaimed "do no evil" - no one forced them to make that moral statement. But once they made it, they are expected to live by it or be ridiculed for failing. That was Google's choice.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 08:53 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Warren Buffet, et al, did not publicly proclaim "do no evil" as their motto.

I think it is fair to judge people by their own standards. Google was the one who proclaimed "do no evil" - no one forced them to make that moral statement. But once they made it, they are expected to live by it or be ridiculed for failing. That was Google's choice.
A choice hedged by Google establishing an uncensored Internet server in Hong Kong, Google retaining all but Internet server business operations on Mainland China and not one word from the US State Department congratulating Google on their whatever it was declaration. I smell a very complicated deal being cut.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
A choice hedged by Google establishing an uncensored Internet server in Hong Kong, Google retaining all but Internet server business operations on Mainland China and not one word from the US State Department congratulating Google on their whatever it was declaration. I smell a very complicated deal being cut.
Google hedging the the China market with HK obviously makes sense for Google. There's no public issue for Google (or anyone else) doing business in China. That's just business.

But some people (not government) seriously do object to Google signing censorship agreements with the Chinese government. That crosses an invisible line of morality - specifically because of Google's public "do no evil" motto/principle that allegedly defines the company. In this respect, Google can "do no evil" or Google can do censorship deals with the Chinese government - it can't do both. Google must 'pick one' or Google becomes just another hypocritical corporate bullshit machine. Bye-bye 'king of Silcon cool'.

As for the US State Department (who have NEVER been known for high moral principles), I'd be horrified if the Secretary of State were to reference Google by name in such a way. That would be highly improper and foolish. I think Google would freakout too. Not to mention, Chinese officials would go to town with that kind of declaration.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 03:03 AM
Nomad

let us see how google acts
Old May 12th 2011, 02:25 PM
Nomad

But since the Chinese Government can not be claimed to know the thinking being behind or space never agreed with the attacks, the (information) for everyone to stand on their own through Google, I admit that I found it easier to get in on the issue of going to olabilirbiri in the claim that the high ground. The attempted undo cut, but they can hit China's censorship policy back by dragging it to the international spot unpopular.