Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Oct 15th 2015, 11:43 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Aliens !

Yep, aliens again

But this time it's actually a hypothesis proposed and not dismissed by serious astronomers and scientists:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...a-distant-star

A star, KIC 8462852, observed by the Kepler Space Telescope shows characteristics which are completely unique and for which a number of hypotheses have been put forward as to what causes them and one of these hypotheses is a genuine possibility of a gargantuan artificial structure called a Dyson sphere. Essentially this is like a solar panel which entirely encompasses a star to absorb all its energy for use by a technological civilization.

There are other, completely natural hypotheses (see: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1509.03622v1.pdf - very technical). But none of these are compelling either. It's rare, if not unique, that scientists openly acknowledge an extraterrestrial technology as a possible candidate to explain data so this one is one to keep an eye on. More data will be available in January and later in the year 2016.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 10:24 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Aliens or not, I'm super curious as to what it ends up being.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Very interesting.

I never thought of the possibility of scientist/astronomers coming up with some circumstantial evidence pointing to the existence of aliens.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:10 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Aliens or not, I'm super curious as to what it ends up being.
Same here. Two of the three times aliens were a viable hypothesis when hitherto unknown data emerged it led to groundbreaking discoveries, i.e. quasars and pulsars (the third time was the WOW-signal which remains an unexplained anomaly). This one doesn't seem to have the potential for something similar since it's a lack rather than an excess of energy observed.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:12 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Very interesting.

I never thought of the possibility of scientist/astronomers coming up with some circumstantial evidence pointing to the existence of aliens.
I'm not sure whether you're being ironical here since who else but astronomers could find such evidence as they're the ones peering at the stars with a myriad of tools?
Old Oct 19th 2015, 05:24 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I'm not sure whether you're being ironical here since who else but astronomers could find such evidence as they're the ones peering at the stars with a myriad of tools?
I suppose I've never really thought much about it. I suppose I've always assumed that any 'discovery' of some extra-terrestrial alien life would result from them coming to us.

That being said, it does make sense that our astronomers would likely find some anomalies that point in that direction long before the little green men arrive on their super-advanced spaceships.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 06:11 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I suppose I've never really thought much about it. I suppose I've always assumed that any 'discovery' of some extra-terrestrial alien life would result from them coming to us.

That being said, it does make sense that our astronomers would likely find some anomalies that point in that direction long before the little green men arrive on their super-advanced spaceships.
Our Sun is a third generation star. This means it contracted from interstellar dust which came from stars of the second generation who went supernova. These stars contracted from interstellar dust which came from stars of the first generation which went supernova. These stars contracted from the original après-Big Bang interstellar dust. Here's why this is relevant: given the rate of technological progress our one example has (i.e. we), if interstellar travel were possible and if any technologically advanced civilization has similar tendencies as humans have, it follows that there would be a huge probability that such a civilization would have colonized the entire Milky Way (to keep it 'locally') by now given the enormous time span (at least nine billion years) and the assumption of exponential spread.
Quod non ergo interstellar travel is intrinsically impossible. While there are plenty of UFO's, none of them are spaceships.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 09:08 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Read today that possibly earth formed long before 92% of potentially habitable.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 11:34 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Yep, aliens again

But this time it's actually a hypothesis proposed and not dismissed by serious astronomers and scientists:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...a-distant-star

A star, KIC 8462852, observed by the Kepler Space Telescope shows characteristics which are completely unique and for which a number of hypotheses have been put forward as to what causes them and one of these hypotheses is a genuine possibility of a gargantuan artificial structure called a Dyson sphere. Essentially this is like a solar panel which entirely encompasses a star to absorb all its energy for use by a technological civilization.

There are other, completely natural hypotheses (see: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1509.03622v1.pdf - very technical). But none of these are compelling either. It's rare, if not unique, that scientists openly acknowledge an extraterrestrial technology as a possible candidate to explain data so this one is one to keep an eye on. More data will be available in January and later in the year 2016.
Some follow-up from SETI: http://news.discovery.com/space/alie...als-151106.htm

Quote:
After all the public excitement surrounding the star KIC 8462852 and its weird transit signal as spotted by NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope, the SETI Institute decided to expedite plans to point a powerful radio antenna at the nearby star in the hope of detecting any artificial transmissions emanating from that location. Sadly (or not, depending on how you view the discovery of an intelligent alien civilization living in our cosmic backyard), the first pass drew a blank....
Old Nov 7th 2015, 02:15 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
There's still some hope (if you're thus inclined):

Quote:
What if these are structures left in orbit by a bygone alien civilization? Perhaps they’re monuments of an empire that is long gone.